323C Progress thread - in primer.

DoctorRetro

Got the headlight adjuster switch through.

TLDR = It didn't work.

IMG20220613162701.thumb.jpg.796cacb9d60413f656341a11f93ecdaa.jpg

IMG20220613162708.thumb.jpg.c8b97bc4d41e1f54e805fd6c201de20c.jpg

One pin is in a different place. Didn't think it would make a difference, as all 4 of the bottom pins seem to go to the same place. It apparently did make a difference, as couldn't get a live current to show on the new (green) one. 

I swapped the wires in the car over to compensate, but still nothing 

There's some subtle differences in the circuit board, and one is labelled LP107A and the old one LP107

IMG20220613162757.thumb.jpg.923c11f9a24973e0dfaf20a5048da75b.jpg

IMG20220613163405.thumb.jpg.0ea7db4f26e4cdce951318c87a20d685.jpg

There's definitely power getting to the necessary wires, so now I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to make a hybrid of the two switches. 

Mind you, I need to check the motor itself isn't burnt out or seized first 🤔

IMG20220613163049.jpg

3 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

Got the headlight adjuster switch through.

TLDR = It didn't work.

IMG20220613162701.thumb.jpg.796cacb9d60413f656341a11f93ecdaa.jpg

IMG20220613162708.thumb.jpg.c8b97bc4d41e1f54e805fd6c201de20c.jpg

One pin is in a different place. Didn't think it would make a difference, as all 4 of the bottom pins seem to go to the same place. It apparently did make a difference, as couldn't get a live current to show on the new (green) one. 

I swapped the wires in the car over to compensate, but still nothing 

There's some subtle differences in the circuit board, and one is labelled LP107A and the old one LP107

IMG20220613162757.thumb.jpg.923c11f9a24973e0dfaf20a5048da75b.jpg

IMG20220613163405.thumb.jpg.0ea7db4f26e4cdce951318c87a20d685.jpg

There's definitely power getting to the necessary wires, so now I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to make a hybrid of the two switches. 

Mind you, I need to check the motor itself isn't burnt out or seized first 🤔

IMG20220613163049.jpg

Argh! Damnit! The blue was also wrong. I shall refund the switch when I'm out of hospital stuff. I don't even think there are any more variations and I checked that oj the EPC.

Really wish the MOT tester hadn't helpfully chucked the old one (or had dismantled the light and attached the balljoint instead of bodging).

2 hours ago, RichardK said:

Argh! Damnit! The blue was also wrong. I shall refund the switch when I'm out of hospital stuff. I don't even think there are any more variations and I checked that oj the EPC.

Really wish the MOT tester hadn't helpfully chucked the old one (or had dismantled the light and attached the balljoint instead of bodging).

Don't worry, it is what it is. I didn't know the blue one was wrong, or I'd not have tried to get them to match. I'll keep working at it. 

I searched all the variants - there may be a version I missed (I wondered if the white plug was a clue to needing a white socket) but that green and the pre-broken blue were the right physical style. 

I don't know if the motors work, I never got around to diagnostics with multimeter and so forth, but maybe the pins in the plug can be relocated to work. Bloody annoying though 😕

Well, I'm done.

Replaced the welding torch, and using co2/argon gas (which ran out really quickly!), 0.6mm wire - I just can't get the welder to behave. Spitting everywhere no matter what setting. 

IMG20220615141542.thumb.jpg.a1a21caa354d7d635ca7c2dc4bb93d47.jpg

Put gaffer tape over the hole for now and will offer it up as an unfinished project, if anyone wants to take it on.

IMG20220615144609.thumb.jpg.acfaa677c72b4caa92a07b57702466ba.jpg

Will be 500 quid.

Or will offer someone money to come and do the welding for me!

• DoctorRetro changed the title to 323C Progress thread - giving up.

Whereabouts are you based mate? Looks like you've done the ball ache part of making the patch panels up, seems a shame to bin it off over the welder. I'm in East Sussex and I have a spare welder that works well enough for this sort of thing, if that's conveniently close for you then you're welcome to a lend of it.

8 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Whereabouts are you based mate? Looks like you've done the ball ache part of making the patch panels up, seems a shame to bin it off over the welder. I'm in East Sussex and I have a spare welder that works well enough for this sort of thing, if that's conveniently close for you then you're welcome to a lend of it.

Southend, Essex. 

Thing is, I can't tell if it really is the welder, or I'm just that shit. 

It might be worth me trying back on the 0.8mm wire, but I've just lost faith in myself tbh. 

11 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Southend, Essex. 

It might be worth me trying back on the 0.8mm wire, but I've just lost faith in myself tbh. 

If you could do it once then you can do it again. It's just a wobble

On 08/06/2022 at 15:45, Toe said:

I'm in the MX3 wheel camp for sure...

I also see it up for sale and having a 323f from a similar era I know how good these are and how rusty they can get!!

Great colour and in good nick too, especially for a 1990's Mazda! Got to admit I was tempted, same engine as the lowlier 323's (mine is the 2l V6) and are pretty good and something very different. Auto doesn't seem that appealing though, no idea how it drives in respect to this - I've only ever driven and owned 1 auto and that was a Saab 9000 full pressure turbo so I can't really compare it, was very relaxing to drive though. 😖

Anyway looking forward to some more knocking it into shape 👍

Your Mazda 323f isn't green, is it?  I've seen one in particularly good shape being driven round Ipswich, although seem to remember the driver being female.  I had one years ago, in silver, that got swapped for a Mk1 Focus.  

1 minute ago, Missy Charm said:

Your Mazda 323f isn't green, is it?  I've seen one in particularly good shape being driven round Ipswich, although seem to remember the driver being female.  I had one years ago, in silver, that got swapped for a Mk1 Focus.  

Yes it is :) with bronze coloured wheels (thought this was OTT at the time but looking back before having them done when they were silver it actually suits it I reckon) It is mine but registered to my partner. I have seen another green V6 in town but not for a while now.

Bit of rust round the rear arches where they all seem to go but hope to sort it this year, after doing the the cam belt etc, big job and I keep putting it off, even have the parts to do it lol

I had a silver one many years ago and so impressed I was I thought I'll see if there's any about and this one appeared from Maldon over 3 years ago now I think

31 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Southend, Essex. 

Deep breath fella - even keeping the same welder, settings and wire of 0.8I still have those type of days where it just won't go well.......you're outside too right? Wind not in a different direction or anything like that?

Walk away - sleep on it and come back after a cooling down period. It'll be reet

Have a little break and come back at it fresh. I tend to use 0.6mm on bodywork because 0.8mm has a habit of burning through too easily, so if you were getting on fine with .8 it's probably worth going back to that if you can.  I did have issues with some welding tips a few years ago that were supposed to be .6mm, gave up with them and bought some more because of spitting, poor wire feed, and the fact they seemed to clog up really fast so that might be what you're getting as an issue here.

It could also just be that your welder is being a tart, they do be like that.

4 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

It could also just be that your welder is being a tart, they do be like that.

Definitely this. 

I'm still using the ancient one on long term loan from @outlaw118, it's ok but very inconsistent.

When I was doing the 309 I probably had to remove/redo over half the welds, it was just sheer determination that got me through that.

I'm spending a lot more time away from home lately with my new job, so I'm just not getting the time I used to, in order to mess around with cars.

Get some fresh clean metal to try a few runs and get the settings dialed back in again. I presume you've not accidentally changed the polarity?

Have you changed the tip to take 0.6mm?

Usually requires a different tip and roller. My roller you turn the other way around to change between 0.6mm and 0.8mm. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Yes it is :) with bronze coloured wheels (thought this was OTT at the time but looking back before having them done when they were silver it actually suits it I reckon) It is mine but registered to my partner. I have seen another green V6 in town but not for a while now.

Bit of rust round the rear arches where they all seem to go but hope to sort it this year, after doing the the cam belt etc, big job and I keep putting it off, even have the parts to do it lol

I had a silver one many years ago and so impressed I was I thought I'll see if there's any about and this one appeared from Maldon over 3 years ago now I think

Must have been the one I saw.  Thank you and looked nice!

1 hour ago, SiC said:

get the settings dialed back in again

That's the problem, I've never had it perfect.

Feed is fine, it's just the the settings are 1 or 2 on one switch, and Min and Max on the other. 1/Min and 2/Min don't penetrate. 2/Max blows holes and/or spatters. 1/Max is ok but it's hit and miss if it penetrates. There's no happy medium.

Plus I've run out of gas again and I'm not paying out another 15 quid for a gas bottle that lasts only a few minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • DoctorRetro changed the title to 323C Progress thread - progress
  • DoctorRetro changed the title to 323C Progress thread - actual progress