Astra Mot result

Dobloseven

My elderly cousin has a 2006 Astra estate. I helped him source it about 5 years ago when he needed an automatic. Think he paid about 1400 quid from a driveway trader who had his Mondeo diesel with issues in part exchange. He's had it Mot'd four times at local garages and each time ended up with a big bill, think the highest was around £750.He only covers a tiny mileage, this years was under 450 miles between Mots. He asked me if I'd take it to the place I use this year, convinced people have been finding unnecessary work. I'm not been too sure,many of his problems come from lack of use and parking it on grass, he owns the remains of an almost derelict farm. He lives about 15 miles away, so I took the Renault over and left it, taking the Astra back with me. He'd put me on his insurance, taking his brother who lives abroad off, which resulted in a refund of £2.41,so off to a good start. Mot tester is in his seventies and not very quick and likes to chat while he's doing it so took best part of the alloted hour. I'd noticed the handbrake came up a long way when I drove it back and he'd told me to get them to adjust it. Turns out it wasn't working at all on one wheel and very little on the other.Rear footbrake wasn't brilliant either. Surprisingly that was all he could find wrong apart from a advisory for a slight exhaust leak, surprised as it had a complete system for last years test, as part of the old one had fell off. Decision time, if I left it, I'd have to get home and pick it up when they'd done it. Mrs Doblo was out for the day, so long walks or Taxis. Tester said the pads were suspect so drove home picking up a set from GSF on the way. About 12quids.Got it jacked up, pads were almost new but siezed in the holder on one side. Caliper piston seemed a bit stiff to wind back, but seemed to ease up a bit. Other caliper had been replaced a while back and seemed fine. Cleaned everything up, put the new pads in, which had slightly different shaped ears to the old ones and tried it on a very steep nearby hill. Held in both directions and lever didn't come up so far. Took it back, another tester put it on the rollers and said it was good enough, so for 50 pounds he's had his cheapest Mot ever. Took it back picked up the Renault and jobs a good un. Not actually a bad little car, drives quite nicely so hopefully he's got another years motoring. In the crazy world of used cars, such things seem to be about 2 grand at small car lots. It's a Life, but sadly metallic rather than proper Doom Blue. Has got some minor laquer peel though, for shite points. IMG_20220527_151955.thumb.jpg.70dc719ea8c13c86921059aa81bce0db.jpg