Renault 14's for sale

trigger

Yep, that's me in the passenger seat! :wink: This blue one had allegedly been sat there for nearly 10 years, it has a mixture of really clean panels with some slightly ropey ones, although the side you can see in the picture is the worst side...As for the gold one, rust flakes were dropping off every time we touched it, it really was incredibly crusty in places, the bonnet hinges were no more, the front bumper literally just came off of it's mounts with a bit of iggling & when jacked up on one side, you could see the jack bulging through the floor under the moss covered carpet! Still, we managed to retrieve from it the seats, the lights, the grille, the remaining wing mirror, the centre console, front bumper, front & rear windscreens, brake calipers, anything we could salvage that we thought would be of use! I saw the remains of a very faded tax disc in the windscreen which expired in 1996!PS: This was Nigel using his towing dolly as opposed to the A-frame (hence the front being 'jacked up' like an excitable puppy) as he hadn't been able to ascertain the correct wheel sizes so couldn't prepare some standby wheels / tyres to swap with the ones on the car which had seen better days.

Hell- you lot are quick!I'mscrewed- theeffort knackered me. its safe on thedrive-I'll look at it in afewdays.N/s rear wheel is at a strange angle though -so I suspect the rear beam axle (-or rebuilt mounts) are needed.Engine turns over, but is an inch deep in garden refuse too.If there's interest- I'll keep you current.

Ok. So -I've given it a good clean, cleared the shit out, summarily checked it over. 6 inch hole in the rear footwell -probably bigger once 'investigated'- and thin rear suspension mounts ( needs beefing) sorts the welding. Remarkably, the sills are fine.Most of the paintworks OK-but the o/s rear & boot seem to have suffered- either an''aftermarket'' spray or 10 years of weather. Bootlids paint is breaking upand WILLneed attention. Under mystewardship it'll never be immaculate though..No Renner 3 stud wheel that I've got fits -pcd smaller than a 5, with much fatter studs. Paul?Does it have a strange firing order? I've now got a spark -having cleaned/rebuilt the distributor-but it doesnt want to go. Fuel's ok- seperate feed from jerrycan -whilst its pump clears the yellow goo from the tank.I'll mess about with the firing order next time..Brakes look grim-but only use will really tell. Brakepipespassable-not sure on the flexi's. Nowt really wrong that I can see-although I suspect the exhaust is paper thin -I'll find out when it runs!Sorted wipers/bulbs etc so as soon as it runs--I'll whizz it down the road.Update with pics next time.

Iwould hazard a guess with that being a peugeot powerplant unit used in the 14 renault must have used the complete front unit lock stock and barrel including the hubs and shaft assemblys - i reckon 3 stud 104/citroen visa wheels would fit.

yep def pgo stud pattern some 106 base specs are 3 stud think all my 14 stuff thrown away now may have rear shoes and cylinders as still got box of genuine bendix parts to sort through hope when it fires up no nasty cam noise other trick they used to do was strip splines on transfer gear shaft

Well-its running,like a pile of pooh, but it struggles into life -eventually.No nasty noises, 6ft (todate) of forward/rearward movement. brake pedal feels right,clutch a tad high;but that'll all change as it settles down..Even the exhaust isn't (yet) blowingGot it up to temperature nicely, fan cut in,.lights & electrics all as they shoud be.Now I 've got to sort the blessed starting which is frankly terrible.2 mins of cranking for it to wheeze in on1, then 2, eventually 3, then 4 cylinders.Tickover rough too-but I'd expect that for now.Think it needs a new coil/condenser next.

I read these were notoriously bad for starting in damp weather. As well as rusting of course! Stumbled across these websites - its in French but quite interesting:

http://renault14.ouvaton.org

http://site.voila.fr/renault14/

Really looking forward to hearing about the 14's exploits. And I wonder how Ratdat is getting on with that early R5 he bought a few months back?

K-so its running reliably now, reasonable tickover thats slowly getting better.Starting too- lots of earth straps seem to have made the difference.Gears very stiff but seem Ok (prob a lack of oil that wont be sorted till it gets driven)-all the brake calipers are sticky but freeing off slowly.I found some Samba alloys with tyres on Ebay(250581806799)- £4.75! which help a load-look reasonabletoo.Downside is I started to poke around the rear suspension mounts- and discovered both (too be expected) are horrible. Both external mounts are furbared-the n'side held together with underseal. rectified that-its now swinging in the breeze!I've left what remains of the o/s to use it as a pattern...So I'll need to crack out the MIG sometime soon.Kinda luckyI bought some wire & new tips lastweek.Pics to follow-when I can be arsed

A great save-allways liked the 14 but never saw many even when new :cry: Whats happening with Regies-is that to resurface too?