1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now haz tunes!

sutty2006

13 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Picked up the left wing today to check it fits ok before he cracks on with the rest. Slight adjustment to the bottom part and the rear edge and it’s good to go. 

B68E1D43-F2A6-4E79-898A-44213B81DCA7.thumb.jpeg.a7607381c34f3c304967bc090440ca03.jpeg

047CBB95-30F7-49D4-B0A7-14D5CE11D24F.thumb.jpeg.adb961d149919c4c67600833a6b5edc8.jpeg

A9171312-DFE6-4D80-BFEC-0465D15230E7.thumb.jpeg.c5a877caa4cdd8335151540e451cd384.jpeg

Once the wings are done it’s ready to go (just need to check over the rear brakes and bleed them). 

apart from the heater blower, which I still can’t find one. They seam to be unobtainium. To the point where I can’t find any abroad! Shite. 

Got a part number or anything sutty? There's a fairly active old school opel group in Turkey I'm on...

28 minutes ago, andy18s said:

Got a part number or anything sutty? There's a fairly active old school opel group in Turkey I'm on...

I can’t find a part number on it. All I know is it’s a denso motor. But the pictures are on here if you can identify one. Yellow cable. There’s one on eBay.de listed for rekord e2 but it’s unfortunately quite different. And it’s nearly 300€. 

There appears to be a plastic part of the main body which is mounted deep within the shaft that has split in two and fallen out. I’ll get a picture later on when it’s stopped raining. But I’d say no amount of new motors will sort that out. 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

There appears to be a plastic part of the main body which is mounted deep within the shaft that has split in two and fallen out. I’ll get a picture later on when it’s stopped raining. But I’d say no amount of new motors will sort that out. 

3d printer for the part?

1 hour ago, andy18s said:

I'm assuming the casings will be left and right hand side specific then,with maybe a common motor

I don’t think the motor is sided. It sits central in the dash tucked above the heater matrix and if I remember correctly LHD pipes go in same side as rhd 

Right. I have successfully managed to separate the blower from the motor without damage. Hurrah. 

I have emailed these guys on eBay selling similar Bosch motors (original is delco) so long as the shaft diameter is 8mm and the overall length of the body is similar I may be able to get it working again. Fingers crossed. 

79F4B755-C160-4100-8548-41269E06C2F5.jpeg

65517A64-1053-41F5-8329-AA05966A62C9.jpeg

79827197-9BA2-402E-90B0-9BF16D831AFD.jpeg

049ECE2E-C289-49EF-B32D-1B2CD8594CAF.jpeg

25EBAD9B-F783-4ADB-AA5F-D4482E650B25.png

Couldn’t get a decent response from any seller on eBay. All of them want an original part number or a reg number off my car. One however said that if it’s not fitted but quite obviously wrong they will accept a return. So I’ve boughted it. WCPGW? 

• sutty2006 changed the title to 1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Blower motor fixin. No G.
  • 1 month later...

I don't visit this site too often, but it's interesting to see the progress of my old Carlton that I bought in 2003 and sold to Mr Sutty this year. Very pleased that this wonderful old car is finally getting the attention she deserves. Really nice car to drive, much quicker and smoother than the carbed Mk1 2000 that I had before. A few points;

When I was reading through this thread I read that the stat cover had a  crack and read further on that Mr S was desperately seeking a replacement. I would have contacted him to say there is a new one ion the boot, but too late as I see he already bought one before discovering the spare I supplied.

Re. auto box. Can't say how well the box has fared after approx 14 years of being in storage, but when I was driving her, the gearbox worked faultlessly. I don't know how autos respond to long periods of inactivity.

That's my 10mm spanner you found under the bonnet - and I want it back!!!   Seriously that spanner may have been lost under the bonnet since she was new. Reason I say this is because it looks very old and rusty (not the car!).  Twenty years ago I was between jobs and did a bit of temp work at Portbury Docks where the Corsas and Tigras were landed and stored from Spain. We were all issued with similar 10mm spanners to disconnect the batteries while the cars were in storage. These spanners got dropped and lost regularly and it was quicker to get another than delve into the engine bay to look for it. So it may be from when the car was stored before sale when it came into UK from Germany.

The fan motor seems a bit of a pain. It used to work better on faster speeds, but did squeal a bit when running slower.

Good luck with the project, Mr S. I'lll be watching with interest and drop in from time to time to see how things are going. She's thrown up a few surprises, but I suppose that's old cars for you.

1298811062_CarltonD249FWSPicsNo1014.thumb.jpg.946e551d5ee7df25a5b2bf5d2042aebc.jpg

My own fault really for missing the stat housing cover, i do that quite often you know! I must have loads of manta parts I’ve bought twice/three times over. 

I should be getting the wings back this week. It’s still sat on axle stands awaiting refitting. Body shop man been really busy but that’s how it goes. 

blower motor, haven’t heard from intec solutions whose doing it for me. Must call in incase he’s lost my number. 

the gearbox started working better once the fluid had been changed a few times. It was burnt out and mucky but nothing a dash of dextron 2 won’t solve. It has however started leaking again from the speedo drive so I’ll have to look at that again. Maybe. 

Once those jobs are done, I’ll get it warmed up and change the oil before getting it booked in for MOT. I may have to order a new fuel make it happener as the old one died and I fitted my old transfer pump which I’ve had for years….it’s a tad noisy but it works. 

@woodbine do you have the front plastic splitter anywhere in your shed at all? Finding it hard to get a replacement. No biggy if it’s gone for good. Hopefully you’ll see it in the flesh one day soon! 

On 11/29/2022 at 8:57 PM, sutty2006 said:

On 11/29/2022 at 8:57 PM, sutty2006 said:

@woodbine do you have the front plastic splitter anywhere in your shed at all? Finding it hard to get a replacement. No biggy if it’s gone for good. Hopefully you’ll see it in the flesh one day soon! 

@sutty2006   Hello Sir. For splitter are you referring to the plastic trim at the bottom of front spolier? If yes, I'm afraid the car came without it when I bought it. Will admit that a trim item like that will be hard to source. There's still a big following for these cars in Germany and there is a very helpful forum for what they call the Opel Rekord E. Someone may have one or be able to point you in the direction.  

http://www.opel-rekord-e.de

Yes, would really like to see her when she's finished. Never regretted selling a car this much before. Was almost like a family bereavement after owning so long.  Wouldn't miss the wife that much.   🙂  Good luck with everything.

Yes I hadn’t tried Germany yet. I have contacts in Holland who are good with the Rekord E but they have no parts. The blower motor is AC Delco, who went bump in 1986 probably shortly after this run out of cars. But I’m going to modify this new Bosch unit for better reliability. Nearly every mk2 I’ve owned has had a seized blower motor. 

shame about the trim, one might crop up some time in the future, got to keep my eyes pealed for it. And the tape holder from the dash, those are the only two parts I need to source that are missing. Not essential though. 

I think Germany is the best hunting ground due to the strong following, numbers sold there and because the later facelifts were all Gerry built. Not sure if the original cassette  holder would have been a Fischer C Box or something similar. I would try to ask a question re. splitter and tape holder on the Rekord E forum with some help from Google translate - though when I've been on there a few speak excellent English. They probably know who is breaking these or who has stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314225102616?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338364431&toolid=11000&customid=Cj0KCQiAvqGcBhCJARIsAFQ5ke6lQPOVetj5QcfCrrG2M9slxo-zVHApl5EM2-twKakXdR0NXb5ZFyIaAp08EALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvqGcBhCJARIsAFQ5ke6lQPOVetj5QcfCrrG2M9slxo-zVHApl5EM2-twKakXdR0NXb5ZFyIaAp08EALw_wcB

German Ebay turns up some beauties like this -

https://www.ebay.de/itm/115593210025?hash=item1ae9e468a9:g:socAAOSw1UZjW7UN&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoA5EZYtiyu6Q8Ndc46XHwUAJUPQfFAJCezalEJXnm6h7zH%2BCCVTDdwx31oUhUfYssZJuMwcrd%2FaSMLDQZ8z5QkIuE209V1REd54alo7VL7Yw4bhgohs4G3YUia1ZVtwwPhk8ThOovs5G71T3Q0A1NzxbQ9V5P%2B5V%2B8OzsAquJa%2F5qnV7Kc3gUAl0plnvG1GZmZ4wWvBx%2BkGdvXlyp1RI3qQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5qhjuCZYQ

Got lots of goodies on there. I think your Paypal could get a battering. Good luck!

Nice find. I did similar with the last Rekord E I restored. Painted the rocker box then detailed the letters in red. Or did I paint them black? I can’t remember. 

Then all of a sudden, I’ve got my blower motor back and the wings are ready to be collected. Saturday is going to be busy! 

EC046B1E-DD0E-498C-9666-4EEB330D9D82.jpeg

E13811D7-66AA-42BB-A280-F1EDB8F10F9D.jpeg

368E14B4-9F89-4990-A03F-F7C90CBDDA1D.jpeg

Wings are ON

Left wing he forgot to weld the rivets on for the trim clip, must still be on the old section in the scrap bin. I think I got away with it. Unfortunately when refitting the front bumper both iron bolts snapped off, so the welder came out and put some flange nuts on the back. 
4B5AA480-DD9F-49FA-AB31-821BA0385359.thumb.jpeg.dd85ebb6841d44e95311db059dee528d.jpeg

7BA24405-530B-4CC9-B3A1-8066404B14B4.thumb.jpeg.fe8dfbadb695a4ccec220a0738259673.jpeg06B406AC-D654-4A65-AD3E-C68326F74FFC.thumb.jpeg.68cd6280ca52801ab28903bf40adddbc.jpeg

need to source pin striping now. 

Blower motor is now fitted in its house. I have had to die grind some plastic out of the mount, and some off the rear bearing mount to get it to fit. I tapped the holes out to m4 0.7 but none of them lined up, so drilled new ones. Issue there is the threads are very thin due to the thickness of the mount, so one needed locktite. We will see how it goes I guess. Just need a day off to rebuild it now. 

309F80BF-4D33-4932-A10D-A36F01B37514.jpeg

49673028-F1EF-406F-9488-508BCDBED523.jpeg

I keep coming back to this thread i must have read it from start to finish about six times so far..... I have prevented myself from posting simply because i am so fucking jealous but i can resist no longer the car is an absolute beauty its a love machine and it wont work for nobody but you!

I love old Vauxhall/Opels always promised myself a Carlton or a Manta in the past but it never happened and probably never will now due to rarity cost and the fact i can no longer drive Spanish box. Ive had Astras Senators and Cavaliers in the past all of which i loved and i would still be a Vauxhall man had i not contracted Rovervitus. Its highly unlikely but if i ever came into abit of money id find a Carlton stick an autobox in and swan around in it daily thinking i was the dogs bollocks which i would definitely be in that thing! 

I truly wish you all the best with the car and i would love nothing more than to see it on the road again. Godspeed! 

What kind words you speak Mr Motown. I find these and the later Carltons more common with auto gearboxes than manual. I’ve had both now, a manual and an auto mk2, but I’ve not driven this auto yet. Yes parts are now hard to find. A replacement auto box is none existent. And if one does come up for sale they are expensive simply because people think “they’re rare”. Pah. Load of tosh. I used to give away or sell manta auto boxes for 99p years ago because no one wanted them! I may turn to America 🇺🇸 in the future for parts as the GM auto in these is a TH180c 3 speed gearbox and I’m sure the yanks used them in some of their smaller units. 

4 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

What kind words you speak Mr Motown. I find these and the later Carltons more common with auto gearboxes than manual. I’ve had both now, a manual and an auto mk2, but I’ve not driven this auto yet. . 

No problem at all the car is saucier than a direct hit on a Heinz factory and its great to see someone with passion give them the attention they deserve. Perhaps in the future should you acquire a Vauxhall with an autobox you can sell it to me. I can pay in cash rib and spicy knik knaks or offer you my sister in law which ever you prefer? Although looking at my sister in law i would take the cash! 

She looks better than ever now with those wings done and the proper wheel centres. Only advice - if you haven't done so, please get some decent security fitted. Or she'll be gone in 60 seconds.

The autoboxes may not be available, but overhaul kits are. 

https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/OPT-TH180-RB.html

The box worked perfectly before being laid up, but I'm not sure how they cope with not being used for 14 years. Would guess it could use a new filter by now.

7 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I have the car. 

I have no wing mirrors as both are snapped off and mastic'd on. Tyres are iffy. Might put the roof down for visibility - rear window isn't bloody attached anyway. Sake. 

Cant tax it as it's got an old blue 11 digit V5. 

This gon' be fun*. 

And this one's better than your current one.... 😂😂

P.s rong Fred m9