1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now with electrical gremlins

sutty2006

4 hours ago, woodbine said:

She looks better than ever now with those wings done and the proper wheel centres. Only advice - if you haven't done so, please get some decent security fitted. Or she'll be gone in 60 seconds.

The autoboxes may not be available, but overhaul kits are. 

https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/OPT-TH180-RB.html

The box worked perfectly before being laid up, but I'm not sure how they cope with not being used for 14 years. Would guess it could use a new filter by now.

No need for extra security round here. Probably jinxing myself but cars are pretty safe in my street. I’ve left the keys on the bonnet of my discovery off roader all day before now and it was still on my driveway when I got home from work…… much to my disappointment 🤣. But I do have CCTV, a 3 year old GSD and a shotgun….. if that’s enough deterrent? 😆

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. So today I had the morning spare. And the weather is ok. And it’s been over 24 hrs since I had a bowel movement so I spied the chance to start rebuilding the dash. BOY what a shit job it is. And it’s been months since I stripped it. Two of the clips to hold the bottom of the matrix to the blower box went missing…. Looked everywhere. Nope. Gone. So I did the right thing and made new ones from old Volvo headlight clips. 

9E2AB91F-BB7B-4E7F-A5F5-63B40EFA056F.thumb.jpeg.2d20426da9c6601a487e7a4ac8e09893.jpeg

it was also a pain to get the vent ducts to the windscreen back on. But they got there in the end. 

the lower of the dash was a pig to get back in. These things have a real specific way of being dismantled and rebuilt, of which none I could remember. But I fought all morning with it. 

46FF5098-F484-40ED-BEAD-2F384A0FFF29.thumb.jpeg.562970b73341aef33cd1b92d9a2f81d1.jpeg

The main loom that runs to the gearbox down the centre console caused issues with the vent duct that runs under the glovebox. That needed waaay too many swear words. 

the radio is going to be the next decision to make. I love it, but the bracket that holds it in is crap, doesn’t fit right, and isn’t secure. So I don’t know yet. 

DBD9787F-67C1-4983-86D1-9365385BB91C.thumb.jpeg.9dbda0e536baacbcebe5bef7e8f5cbfd.jpeg

F639AF9D-C9AE-4482-9001-98C7FE1E8917.thumb.jpeg.96fe69408c869fc81688d86d5aa4a0ed.jpeg

I put my spare battery on charge for 10 mins then connected it up. Checked for fires. None. Great. Cranked her over and she kicked into life after 10 secs of buggering about! Cold start injector seams to be sticking open but after a few revs and some wd40 down the pipe it soon sorted itself out. Topped off the coolant, and let it idle for 5 minutes. 

got it down off the jacks and moved it to a different space on the driveway. Success. 

jobs left to do are as follows….

1. remove temp switch in coolant line from block, it might be blocked up with the same cag that was in the thermotwat. 

2. bleed coolant successfully. Blower motor works so should have warm air. 

3. change the fuel pumpalator, that’s not going to last 3.25 miles. 

4. send it for an MOT. 

or do I just chuck it in a garage and wait till winter ends? Time is not on my side right now. And im finding it hard to work on it.

• sutty2006 changed the title to 1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Blower motor fixed. Now what?

Thanks for that mr Jetted, interesting company and worth knowing about for stuff! 

Someone told me the cable could be at fault but I’m not 100% convinced. So I’m going to do the right thing ignore that, and order a new speedo drive. These weirdly are easier to get than cables. It’s coming from Norway I think. 

FF8BAF97-B9FD-4E99-BE85-7DF01E5DDCEF.jpeg

4 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Thanks for that mr Jetted, interesting company and worth knowing about for stuff! 

Someone told me the cable could be at fault but I’m not 100% convinced. So I’m going to do the right thing ignore that, and order a new speedo drive. These weirdly are easier to get than cables. It’s coming from Norway I think. 

FF8BAF97-B9FD-4E99-BE85-7DF01E5DDCEF.jpeg

Id say its more likely that than the cable i had one fail on my old Astra sport couldnt find an OEM one at the time so gambled an fitted a cheap aftermarket one off ebay didnt have much to lose as it was only £20 and to my surprise it worked perfectly fine

6 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Yes, it’ll get replaced. There aren’t any of these on eBay, and I can guarantee you won’t find one at eurocarparts “any part any car” bollocks. Luckily I’m paying someone in Greece to get me one from a supplier in Norway. 

The supplier in Norway is it these?

https://www.husebyautodeler.no/

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Cheaper than rocking horse poo though.

I dunno i was lulled in to a false sense of security i rang them up and my call was answered by a lovely welsh lady who was helpful and knowledgeable. i thought to myself she sounds fucking beautiful and i do love a welsh accent. I went to pick up my items weeks later and there she was before my eyes she was beautiful polite and had the glow of an angel.... I wanted to take her home with me or at the very least take her for a pint and lunch. Then she handed me the bill i layed my eyes upon it as i did her suddenly i became short of breath and thought she would be better off in a ditch. Robbing Basterds!!!!

4 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Doesn’t look like it, they only have rekord e2 “used” headlights in stock…. Which would be useless to me anyway. 

I think they can get more parts than what is on the website but could be wrong about that. But it's still a bit strange that the part comes from Norway of all places.

6 minutes ago, Motown said:

I dunno i was lulled in to a false sense of security i rang them up and my call was answered by a lovely welsh lady who was helpful and knowledgeable. i thought to myself she sounds fucking beautiful and i do love a welsh accent. I went to pick up my items weeks later and there she was before my eyes she was beautiful polite and had the glow of an angel.... I wanted to take her home with me or at the very least take her for a pint and lunch. Then she handed me the bill i layed my eyes upon it as i did her suddenly i became short of breath and thought she would be better off in a ditch. Robbing Basterds!!!!

My point was, you are able to get the things you need (that they supply) in a timely fashion and (hopefully still) great quality. Job jobbed, on to the next problem on the car, shirley?

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

My point was, you are able to get the things you need (that they supply) in a timely fashion and (hopefully still) great quality. Job jobbed, on to the next problem on the car, shirley?

That wasn’t me that posted that. I literally have no idea what went on there!

But moving on, it’s a company called Opel Parts Greece. He pops up on the Mantaclub website from time to time, to j thought I’d give him a try! 

Today I’ve managed to dive between rain showers and pull out this coolant temp sensor that sits in the pipe that goes from the block to the heater matrix. No idea why it’s there. The normal temp sensor is on the thermostat housing. It’s pretty rotten but it’s clear. Hopefully it’s not going to leak. The part number isn’t visable anymore. 

0DD80DE7-8BA2-4495-B4BA-5182F0722F47.thumb.jpeg.3f801bc4ea15b60ce0bc82f65d885e80.jpeg

so that’s put back on. no mither. 

bonnet stay plastic base is buggered. Gonna need one of them. 

36F681BF-7E31-4028-BCC1-21248E3BD4B9.thumb.jpeg.d7ebadfd78af7e42454b502b7f4a01fc.jpeg

then while the sun was doing sun stuff, I scooped a jack under the back and pulled the temporary fuel pumpalator off and put the new one on. She runs better now, and much quieter. 

4A4D8064-4C40-45D3-B92A-8E2B7931D1B7.thumb.jpeg.a999b3d99173fa174f22ac30a8088704.jpeg

7C77BE57-9D4E-4910-A32A-E16DCD3F349B.thumb.jpeg.4f7811b50c6866e47c4e5a9d2298d2a5.jpeg

the blue one I’ll keep for a bit incase I need to do some more fluid transferring, it still works but it’s noisy.

Now, when it’s cold, and I start the engine, it immediately revs up to 3250rpm. This isn’t right. I thought these injection systems had a 5th injector but I can’t see one. Maybe the ICV is stuck? Once it’s warmed up, it settles down. I’d expect maybe 1500rpm at cold start but not that high.