Jump to content

1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Summer cruising


sutty2006

Recommended Posts

It’s on. It took 225 degrees, 20 minutes and hammer and brick chisel BUT ITS ON. 
 

IMG_0131.jpeg.fda67c3f0d653d2d7edb6f7781b24041.jpeg
 

and it’s fitted. 
 

IMG_0132.jpeg.cce4ce5b483fa8051003dc2ef0c114b2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brakes built up. Surprising how easily everything went back together. The back plate and all its trimmings are completely rot free. Nothing fell to bits. 
 

Drum is on, just need to bleed the cylinder up and hopefully job is done 

 

 

IMG_0134.jpeg

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • sutty2006 changed the title to 1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now with electrical gremlins

I went to a local car meet Thursday night.
 

IMG_0252.jpeg.b48dc4a4723f116e2833834260288290.jpeg

 

And remembered that I’d seen the side light cone on when I indicated. So I had a quick look in the car park. When I indicate right (ignition on/engine running) the corresponding side light comes on both front and rear. How odd. And happens both sides. 

 

IMG_0253.jpeg.e0349ed07fddd5cd9cc3510b9cbe20bb.jpeg

 

IMG_0254.jpeg.ebc6c6b6585682de38fab19e09062d5d.jpeg

 

now. Some folk shout “it’s an earth issue!” But why? I don’t think it is. If it was an earth issue, why would the rear come on, and be bright like it’s been switched on? 
 

I think it has parking lights. So when the ignition is off, and you indicate, the side light comes on… I recon something is confused. Either the stalk is faulty or the ignition switch. Got to look into this asap 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried the parking light feature to see what that does? I agree with you though its way more likely to be a switch fault rather than an earth fault, my guess would be indicator stalk issue as it gets the most use.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I think it has parking lights. So when the ignition is off, and you indicate, the side light comes on…

I would say you are correct. 

As I had this with a few Vauxhalls I've owned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Either the stalk is faulty or the ignition switch. Got to look into this asap 

...or the module which controls this has lost its ignition feed?

Some people suggest earth fault for *every* unusual electrical fault they don't understand! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t find anything in the Haynes Manuel that states it has a module for the park lights. I just have “parking lamp left” or “parking lamp right” which is a whole load of use. I’ve tried disconnecting the main light switch, and it still does it. 
 

what’s even worse, I can’t seam to get the column surround off, it’s a whole unit, and I recon the barrel needs to come out first. This is going to be hard to rectify 😢

 

 

IMG_0261.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far the BOL states “parking lamp relay” but I’m yet to find it. The dash is a schmorgus board of wires and plugs and disused connections. 
 

one large connection on the steering column has this small 3 pin plug on the side. I’ve disconnected it and my problem has gone away, yet all my lights now work as they should. I need to go over everything again to make sure. I have 12v coming up to the plug, via the red wire and nothing more. This then goes up into the part of the column I can’t strip down. For ease, I’m going to leave it at that. I have never used parking lights anyway. 
 

IMG_0262.jpeg.91e417232878e089561520daec4d6502.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/03/2024 at 18:43, sutty2006 said:

It’s on. It took 225 degrees, 20 minutes and hammer and brick chisel BUT ITS ON. 
 

IMG_0131.jpeg.fda67c3f0d653d2d7edb6f7781b24041.jpeg
 

and it’s fitted. 
 

IMG_0132.jpeg.cce4ce5b483fa8051003dc2ef0c114b2.jpeg

I brayyed a replacement bearing onto our MK3 Cortina axle.... Completely forgot the retainer plate 😱 = simply hacksawed across the opposite  corners & added two washers over the split....

I wouldn't forget next time..... If ever 🤣🤣

GR9 Mottah

🚙💨

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a trip out with a good friend yesterday to the omoc AGM in Prestatyn, called in at Talacre beech to relive some memories. Did 180 miles yesterday and it didn’t miss a beat. 
 

 

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0281.jpeg

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

in most cases, the parking lamp feature was done with wiring switching only.  The indicator stalk has multiple connections, which were fed ether with power when the ignition is on (Indicators) or when the ignition is off (parking lamps).  It looks to me like one of the circuits is live when it shoudln't be, possibly due to either a short, or maybe a stuck relay or similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

At about 6.45 this morning I spied a very familiar Carlton shaped saloon heading towards the City Rd/Leak rd roundabout, not far from either Stoke Uni or the Bet 365 stadium, did I spot a Sutty?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Marina door handles said:

At about 6.45 this morning I spied a very familiar Carlton shaped saloon heading towards the City Rd/Leak rd roundabout, not far from either Stoke Uni or the Bet 365 stadium, did I spot a Sutty?

You certainly did! I was on my way to work! 
 

tonight, I went to a popular car meet. 
 

 

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took the wife out for her birthday in the Carlton. As you do. It was supposed to be a nice evening but while we were at the pub eating pub-like food, the heavens lashed down followed by a lovely lightning storm. Once it eased off, we headed for “shakes on the rock”. No it’s not a popular dogging site (probably is) but they sell milkshakes and icecream with a lovely view over biddulph moor from Mow Cop. Parked along side the yoof of today…. All sat vaping with their motors running. Oh how old I’m getting! 
 

IMG_0585.jpeg.30f61844ccd6c6e04b33efc48e09ece5.jpeg

 

view

IMG_0586.jpeg.de708cf6f5360b8c98b57961251c0693.jpeg

but what’s that down there I hear you scream!

 

IMG_0588.jpeg.a0223e333d365440d8bb814b540e3373.jpeg

 

awww, an old ERF truck! 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3A636EA1-9D57-4FFD-9049-64701BD6F4CC.webp.495d81ccbe4a406a6c53929f6e47e40d.webpFor the next special occasion it would be great if you went here in the Carlton:

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

3A636EA1-9D57-4FFD-9049-64701BD6F4CC.webp.495d81ccbe4a406a6c53929f6e47e40d.webpFor the next special occasion it would be great if you went here in the Carlton:

 

“Sir, what vehicle are you in?”

”carlton”

”no sir, your car?”

”Carlton!” 
 

“i see sir, good choice” 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

“Sir, what vehicle are you in?”

”carlton”

”no sir, your car?”

”Carlton!” 
 

“i see sir, good choice” 

The picture would be so much better if your Carlton was parked where the moped and grey blob are. They should let you have the room for free for the excellent publicity shot they could use.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • sutty2006 changed the title to 1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Summer cruising
On 13/04/2024 at 11:38, sutty2006 said:

So far the BOL states “parking lamp relay” but I’m yet to find it. The dash is a schmorgus board of wires and plugs and disused connections. 
 

one large connection on the steering column has this small 3 pin plug on the side. I’ve disconnected it and my problem has gone away, yet all my lights now work as they should. I need to go over everything again to make sure. I have 12v coming up to the plug, via the red wire and nothing more. This then goes up into the part of the column I can’t strip down. For ease, I’m going to leave it at that. I have never used parking lights anyway. 
 

IMG_0262.jpeg.91e417232878e089561520daec4d6502.jpeg

I had a similar problem with a mk3 Cavalier years ago, i unplugged the relay for the parking lights, something to do with dimming the headlamp bulbs with the ignition off,  still had parking lights and headlights so i left it like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

I had a similar problem with a mk3 Cavalier years ago, i unplugged the relay for the parking lights, something to do with dimming the headlamp bulbs with the ignition off,  still had parking lights and headlights so i left it like that.

Dim dip headlight relays on late 80s Vauxhalls have all bit the dust now. Still occasionally get the odd manta with weird light problems and relieving it of the dim dip relay cures it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight, I’ve given it a quick clean down and added some wax to the paint. Not done that yet on this one. 
 

 

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...