1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now with electrical gremlins

sutty2006

Has no one ever 'just cobbled in' a varimister/resistor thingie? I mean the gauge must be a +Ve up/down you could find out and something from the GM bin with the same guts [obvz NOT the same fitting] 🤔

Brave Pills, M8 🔨👌

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I have looked for you on various classic Opel parts websites and all the ones I find are different, they are all similar to the one I posted a picture of. So it seems the Opel and Vauxhall tank level senders are different. Don't understand what GM was thinking.

It could be that the Vauxhall factory used other suppliers for some parts? One of my Opels was built in Belgium, the other in Germany. You'd think that it wouldn't matter, but they are slightly different in certain details.*

Spoiler

* Back when these cars were still common, traders used to check which factory it came from. It was said that the Belgian built Opels had better rust prevention than the German ones. Don't know if there was any factual basis for this or just based on hearsay, but it was common practice.

I’ve contacted someone in Holland. His reply is this. 

29430AB2-6C20-4EC4-9AC2-0BAEA9B97667.thumb.png.014fd1c60f645cc8dc6be64be04e3493.png

so maybe this tank and sender isn’t a common fit? Or it’s been replaced somewhere down the line with a non genuine item? 

so what about the tank then? 

I can get one. It’s not too far away either… 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324625504940?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Ct7lkrX7SwW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=oSyz5_rPQeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and it has the twist in sender fixture

34D4172F-10E9-4D7A-83A3-EAC9E592E67C.thumb.png.6a321228d893a4d04084189bd68e404a.png

great news right? 

no. I threw away the other sender unit I had. Like a dick. Because I thought it wasn’t useable because of how obviously different it looked.

so I can buy a new one can’t I. Yes. Not cheap, but yes. 

But the problems keep coming. 

The other sender unit has a very narrow feed pipe. The one on the car has a very much larger diameter pipe to the fuel pump! So how is that going to work? My brain hurts. I need alcohol. 

Good news this AM. 

I threw a grenade into the digital world and braved Facebook. I put a request out for parts. A local chap to me who dips his wick into old opels and Vauxhalls has a mk2 aswell. I saw it at his unit last year. He has told me he is going to break it. 

this is hard. 

it’s a 1 owner 50k mile tidy car too. Head says pull lots of hard to find parts off (like all of it) and my heart says save it. I bought the C plate Rekord off him in 2016 after he had started to break it, so I might not go down that road again. 

down side is it’s a carb model. I’m hoping these carb models have a return in the top of the tank. Keep your fingers crossed. 

11 hours ago, Tepper said:

Nice work getting this back on the road. Any chance you could rewind the original sender? https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/fuel-tank-sender-repair.14295/

Looks fiddly but probably worth it to save yourself £250!

It’s a good idea but on the wrong sender. This one has a very small circuit board type of thing with a printed on track. I think it’s a tenth of the size of that guys windings. Nice idea though. 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

It’s a good idea but on the wrong sender. This one has a very small circuit board type of thing with a printed on track. I think it’s a tenth of the size of that guys windings. Nice idea though. 

Hmm, a little bit more tricky then. Have you got a picture of the guts of your sender? Depending on how creative/bodgy you want to get, it might still be possible to insulate the old track then wrap a wire of the correct resistance over the top of it.

3 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

At those sort of prices is it worth considering one of the kit car universal types from Car Builder Solutions or similar? And fiddle about with resistors to get the reading you want?

Car builder solutions actually offer a device that lets you dial in the universal sender using a few potentiometers. I keep meaning to do that on one of my BX’s that the ham fisted PO smashed the sender to bits on.

New sender on its way. £100. Not cheap, but also not expensive. And found by a lad in Liverpool who has 6 months ago cleared an old Vauxhall dealer parts department. 

im going to look into getting the tank cleaned and rust proofed soon. Anywhere still do that? 

On 4/24/2023 at 10:56 AM, Rust Collector said:

Car builder solutions actually offer a device that lets you dial in the universal sender using a few potentiometers. I keep meaning to do that on one of my BX’s that the ham fisted PO smashed the sender to bits on.

I've got one of these going spare if you want...keep meaning to list it on ebay but CBA.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

On car and classic there is a V reg Royale saloon being auctioned. Been off the road since 1995. Bidding is up to £300.

It's identical to the one I had.

Good job I don’t have enough room for another project! 

Perfect. 

994F3FEC-DD80-4405-A731-A6EB20DE8018.thumb.jpeg.56ec887f928d424ca4a9519437eea74a.jpeg

fitted. 

0A727951-60BF-45E0-B691-1F727ADDEBB2.thumb.jpeg.ac80f2c060bf2b705c16bb57adba5c49.jpeg

got it down. Flicked the ignition on. Nothing. Needle doesn’t move. Check for resistance, 0.00. Ok, maybe there’s no fuel in it? It’s been running ok? Chucked a gallon in it, now the gauge comes up to the bottom of the empty mark. Dodged a bullet there me thinks! 

• sutty2006 changed the title to 1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Fuel gauge fixed?.