1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now haz tunes!

sutty2006

5 minutes ago, stuboy said:

lovely motor, well done, and please tell me u have the wheel centres..

Yes the original wheel centres are in the boot, in near mint condition.  The centres that are fitted need to come off but I won’t bother until I’ve checked all the brakes out.

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

The estate I bought years ago had been cut with a grinder. I could have throttled the c**t that did that to it. It made it poor to handle, constant under steer, but also hard to find replacement estate springs. Wish this was an estate really. Could get dog in the boot then.

5F89A93E-9786-485F-BD2E-5DE11FE94285.jpeg

That is just like Dad’ 1800L but A reg and dark blue,  no sunroof.

With me not paying much attention to how long this was in storage for, it was and always is a good idea to check interiors after a rain storm. All carpets currently dry. I know how notorious Carltons are at leaking, especially mk3s. 

On 25/05/2022 at 15:44, sutty2006 said:

late 80s sharp tape player. Epic. That’s definitely staying in. It’s even got paperwork!

1271345D-7D13-48C4-964F-A325EBA8AE82.thumb.jpeg.2b928859dca036ea79b241083afb226c.jpeg

Very top of the photo. Forgot about all of those blanking plates above the vents where the switches are. Not quite what you would expect on a CD. I don't think even air conditioning was option, in1985/6 you had to go for the Senator A to get that. 

Just now, ProgRocker said:

Very top of the photo. Forgot about all of those blanking plates above the vents where the switches are. Not quite what you would expect on a CD. I don't think even air conditioning was option, in1985/6 you had to go for the Senator A to get that. 

Yes you’re right. Fairly certain the Rekord CDi I had had front fogs, another switch and the two missing may have been heated front seats but I’ve not seen that option yet. The Rekord had a trip computer where the clock is. 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:37 PM, Dan29 said:

Building is still there for the time being - the site has been bought by the university but the planning application has been held up by the Environment Agency. Probably not there for much longer though...

Not much had happened today. I did have some spare fuel pipe in stock, but it’s external wall is slightly thicker than the original stuff, therefore the original jubilee clips won’t grasp the girth of the new pipe… so I’ll be heading to Autohose in the morning (only round the corner) to get some fresh hose and a fist full of stainless jubilees to match. 

while feeling let down that today has been unproductive, I fitted new plugs, leads, and took the dizzy cap off to inspect the condition. Not too bad but cleaned up with some wet n dry. Will order new once I know it runs. 

99FDAB15-611E-4B40-9C07-C4D64A7DD6C9.jpeg

On 27/05/2022 at 08:45, ProgRocker said:

This is true.  And it had to be a 3.0 Senator at that.

Flickr link

Anyway, superb purchase!

That’s a great bit of info. Amazing how the 3spd auto isn’t listed for the Carlton 2.2 but they put them in. Maybe I’m thinking about it the wrong way. 

but also, everyone raves about the manta Coupe, but the hatch was more expensive and they sold more hatches than coupes! 

On 5/30/2022 at 7:52 PM, sutty2006 said:

Not much had happened today. I did have some spare fuel pipe in stock, but it’s external wall is slightly thicker than the original stuff, therefore the original jubilee clips won’t grasp the girth of the new pipe… so I’ll be heading to Autohose in the morning (only round the corner) to get some fresh hose and a fist full of stainless jubilees to match. 

while feeling let down that today has been unproductive, I fitted new plugs, leads, and took the dizzy cap off to inspect the condition. Not too bad but cleaned up with some wet n dry. Will order new once I know it runs. 

99FDAB15-611E-4B40-9C07-C4D64A7DD6C9.jpeg

A word of advice - my 2.5 senator dripped fuel even when the pipes and clips had been renewed. I, like various garages had used generic 8mm hose.

I went to the vauxhall dealer and got some from them - theirs was 7.3 mm internal diameter, not 8. No more leaks.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

A word of advice - my 2.5 senator dripped fuel even when the pipes and clips had been renewed. I, like various garages had used generic 8mm hose.

I went to the vauxhall dealer and got some from them - theirs was 7.3 mm internal diameter, not 8. No more leaks.

I’ve got 7.9 ID that I’ve used before on these engines and it’s fine. Got a dozen stainless steel jubilee clips at the same time as 2 metres of pipe. Wasn’t cheap but I don’t buy cheap when it comes to fuel. 

D89C74B1-18C4-463F-B083-0297CF41C06C.jpeg

Pulling more fuel pipes off today, the pipes around the fuel pump are definitely buggered. The metal pipes are rusty but it just looks surfacey at the moment. They will probably clean up and be greased. 

fuel filter last replaced at…. 2004. Should be able to get a replacement off that number. 

66EA130E-33E3-44B2-876C-11F6564E1C66.thumb.jpeg.67198a84f91f22f609fe3196efb027a9.jpeg

Mmmm crumbly. 

AAD3723F-58D3-4025-88EB-5474B1ED8E40.thumb.jpeg.484c073b6175a120fc00213de0205b11.jpeg

I took the main tank to pump pipe off, and about 15 litres drained out. Shame it’s stale, it’d be worth a fortune 🤣

67496939-4287-4470-B966-797D3E5CBD7E.thumb.jpeg.b75d388beafbdd728574eaa67545f92b.jpeg