1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now with electrical gremlins

sutty2006

• sutty2006 changed the title to 1986 Vauxhall Carlton CDi, Daily use of a 37yr old car. Now with electrical gremlins

I went to a local car meet Thursday night.

IMG_0252.jpeg.b48dc4a4723f116e2833834260288290.jpeg

And remembered that I’d seen the side light cone on when I indicated. So I had a quick look in the car park. When I indicate right (ignition on/engine running) the corresponding side light comes on both front and rear. How odd. And happens both sides. 

IMG_0253.jpeg.e0349ed07fddd5cd9cc3510b9cbe20bb.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg.ebc6c6b6585682de38fab19e09062d5d.jpeg

now. Some folk shout “it’s an earth issue!” But why? I don’t think it is. If it was an earth issue, why would the rear come on, and be bright like it’s been switched on? 

I think it has parking lights. So when the ignition is off, and you indicate, the side light comes on… I recon something is confused. Either the stalk is faulty or the ignition switch. Got to look into this asap 

2 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I think it has parking lights. So when the ignition is off, and you indicate, the side light comes on…

I would say you are correct. 

As I had this with a few Vauxhalls I've owned.

I can’t find anything in the Haynes Manuel that states it has a module for the park lights. I just have “parking lamp left” or “parking lamp right” which is a whole load of use. I’ve tried disconnecting the main light switch, and it still does it. 

what’s even worse, I can’t seam to get the column surround off, it’s a whole unit, and I recon the barrel needs to come out first. This is going to be hard to rectify 😢

IMG_0261.jpeg

So far the BOL states “parking lamp relay” but I’m yet to find it. The dash is a schmorgus board of wires and plugs and disused connections. 

one large connection on the steering column has this small 3 pin plug on the side. I’ve disconnected it and my problem has gone away, yet all my lights now work as they should. I need to go over everything again to make sure. I have 12v coming up to the plug, via the red wire and nothing more. This then goes up into the part of the column I can’t strip down. For ease, I’m going to leave it at that. I have never used parking lights anyway. 

IMG_0262.jpeg.91e417232878e089561520daec4d6502.jpeg

On 29/03/2024 at 18:43, sutty2006 said:

It’s on. It took 225 degrees, 20 minutes and hammer and brick chisel BUT ITS ON. 

IMG_0131.jpeg.fda67c3f0d653d2d7edb6f7781b24041.jpeg

and it’s fitted. 

IMG_0132.jpeg.cce4ce5b483fa8051003dc2ef0c114b2.jpeg

I brayyed a replacement bearing onto our MK3 Cortina axle.... Completely forgot the retainer plate 😱 = simply hacksawed across the opposite  corners & added two washers over the split....

I wouldn't forget next time..... If ever 🤣🤣

GR9 Mottah

🚙💨

in most cases, the parking lamp feature was done with wiring switching only.  The indicator stalk has multiple connections, which were fed ether with power when the ignition is on (Indicators) or when the ignition is off (parking lamps).  It looks to me like one of the circuits is live when it shoudln't be, possibly due to either a short, or maybe a stuck relay or similar.