w00dy's Wheels - Vana-allmymoneys-gon

w00dy

2 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Noice! Witch engun?

It's the 1.6 TDI which gets mixed reviews, but based on my trip back it's surprisingly punchy and much smoother at idle than the PD in my mk5 Golf.

It's not an interesting car by any means, but right now I need something spacious, comfortable and cheap to run. The air-con is cold, the cruise control works and it's got an armrest. 

Just now, w00dy said:

It's the 1.6 TDI which gets mixed reviews, but based on my trip back it's surprisingly punchy and much smoother at idle than the PD in my mk5 Golf.

It's not an interesting car by any means, but right now I need something spacious, comfortable and cheap to run. The air-con is cold, the cruise control works and it's got an armrest. 

Good choice, IMO. I think this is the same engine @Sham has, if I've mentioned the right person. Good cars, these Octavias. Well bought. :)

36 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Perfect run around, has all you need. An engine, AC and cruise. Should get decent MPG to boot! 

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Good choice, IMO. I think this is the same engine @Sham has, if I've mentioned the right person. Good cars, these Octavias. Well bought. :)

Yep, that's me. 123k and counting. I can't praise the car enough. Fantastic value, and immensely useful.

2krpm at 70 in near silence, and averages close to 60mpg at this time of year. 54mpg over the last 10k miles that I've been keeping track.

44 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Well spotted. This must have been a very similar time oddly enough!

Small world and all that! 

The boot on those Octavias is cavernous. I'm guessing it's cheap tax too? My Golf was £20 for the year, or £1.75 monthly via DD!

27 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

Small world and all that! 

The boot on those Octavias is cavernous. I'm guessing it's cheap tax too? My Golf was £20 for the year, or £1.75 monthly via DD!

Definitely!

£30/year which is nice and the boot is great. I was looking for an estate, but it seems you have to pay a decent premium for one at the moment.

Cchr9PC.jpeg

KawQoqC.jpeg

• w00dy changed the title to W00dy's Wheels - Less than Superb

Theres not much wrong with the 1.6 tdi. I've had two seat Leon's and a vw caddy, the daughter a leon also the 1.6tdi. 1st leon written off, second one now a pizza delivery car now at 110k, I sold it at 72k it's not been serviced since and gets thrashed and had more hits than the Beatles but still driving well. No breakdowns or problems with any of them, although my current caddy is a bit flat under 2000 revs, which a remap has helped but not cured. It's done 124k though and is 100% reliable.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Only ever been a passenger in one of these, mind, always a taxi too. 30 billion Weegie cabbies canny be wrong about these though. :)

Swallowed the luggage we threw in it too.

I’m a weegie taxi driver and I had a 2015 1.6tdi Octavia for four years until May last year. Did 215k in it and it’s still going strong with a new owner. Still had original clutch, exhaust etc. All that went wrong with it was a failed exhaust flap sensor, a broken wire to the secondary water pump and the fuel filler cap stopped opening. That was it. Was a bit gutless but 55mpg and zero road tax was amazing.  Every MOT and taxi inspection was clean too but that’s because I’ve got OCD about my cars 

Replaced it with a 2020 1.5 TSI petrol Octavia in May last year which has been similarly reliable although the fuel pump is fecking noisy and the oil costs a fortune. 

That all sounds rather positive. Mine will therefore explode next week!

It ain't quick, but coming out of a 1.3 CDTI Astra estate it's definitely a step up.

I'm really liking all the storage available, it seems very well thought out. Not got to grips with the stereo yet though, the touch screen seems more hassle than it's worth.

18 hours ago, w00dy said:

IMG_20220524_150618.jpg

I like the Superb following a work trip to Austria in a hired one a few years ago. It ate the miles and the luggage without complaint. Probably the only VAG product I'd consider, must be the eastern European practicality that shows through in the design.

Speaking of eastern European design, can I draw everyone's attention to the East German Intercamp caravan in the background of this shot, a proper AS caravan!

22 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

Nice motah. Moar Ford Probe updates are well overdue though!

I need to do some. Progress is painfully slow, but it needs to be back on the road this summer or else it'll have to find a new home.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it knowing  a service was due so did the oil and filter. Nice and easy from the top.

IMG_20220604_121942.thumb.jpg.ac56486cdb6ff1176e0dcb9f9d665478.jpg

I do appear to have a stuck thermostat though and it doesn't look the most fun to change, but it'll give me the opportunity for some fresh coolant at least I suppose. So far I really like it, and have very little to complain about.

• w00dy changed the title to W00dy's Wheels - Big Boy Collection!
  • w00dy changed the title to W00dy's Wheels - Collection via the skies!
  • w00dy changed the title to W00dy's Wheels - LCBL V8 Goodness and 450 miles home
4 minutes ago, w00dy said:

@cort16 finally broke me with his posts in LCBL and I decided it was a great plan to fly up to Scotland to purchase this. 

IMG_20220818_143322.thumb.jpg.81eb73e66236caa8ce6324ad1c85d95e.jpg

IMG_20220818_140305.thumb.jpg.bf62e53a04abe0edce9884b170385fb9.jpg

IMG_20220818_133039.thumb.jpg.b7f28ef68c7544fa323a3906281d5959.jpg

Scottish roads are great fun with a V8 and a manual box.

Oof is thats a rare beast  I like the ox blood interior too. great purchase!