Dodgy shit hidden by sellers

sierraman

On 27/06/2022 at 21:08, chaseracer said:

Similarly, my mate Andy's first car was an Austin 1300 which turned out to have a tired 848cc Mini engine.

It wasn't quick...

My mate Simon, Manufacturing Engineer at Ryton, for Peugeot, had a Citroën AXGT, and after head gasket failure, warped the block, he fitted a 1.1 engine, changed the engine number and cc on the V5 and flogged it on, with the words Sold as Seen on the receipt. 

It was 1990.  But someone is going to want their money back sooner or later. 

1 hour ago, New POD said:

My mate Simon, Manufacturing Engineer at Ryton, for Peugeot, had a Citroën AXGT, and after head gasket failure, warped the block, he fitted a 1.1 engine, changed the engine number and cc on the V5 and flogged it on, with the words Sold as Seen on the receipt. 

It was 1990.  But someone is going to want their money back sooner or later. 

We’ve all told a few porkies when selling a car 🤣

Think I did this not long ago trading in the 1 series for the 9-3. Been flawless right up to the day I sold it where on the way to be sold it started slipping the clutch after it warmed up. Bollocks. Kept dealer talking hoping if it cooled down a little bit they’d test drive it and it’d be fine. 

Comes back ‘clutch is slipping mate we need to talk about the PX price again’

Fuck. Suppose I can say it bit me in the arse?

1 hour ago, Imhotep said:

Think I did this not long ago trading in the 1 series for the 9-3. Been flawless right up to the day I sold it where on the way to be sold it started slipping the clutch after it warmed up. Bollocks. Kept dealer talking hoping if it cooled down a little bit they’d test drive it and it’d be fine. 

Comes back ‘clutch is slipping mate we need to talk about the PX price again’

Fuck. Suppose I can say it bit me in the arse?

I remember when my dad got his business going a decade or so ago and got the first company car. He had an alfa 146 at the time (s reg iirc) and I remember he hired a car for the last 2 weeks before the lease started (dame edna 9-3 sportwagon) as the alfa was a part ex, and the clutch was almost gone. This didn't matter, the condition of the car wasn't the deal apparently, he just had to get it to the place the swap was happening before the clutch fully blew 😂

I mean most traders should be able to assess whether it’s got something up with it within 5 minutes of having a look over it. That’s the environment they’re picking cars up at auction or through an agreement they’ve got with a dealer a bit higher up the chain. They’d be out of business if they spent 2 and a half hours poring over whether the radio worked. 

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

We’ve all told a few porkies when selling a car 🤣

Maybe just me then. By the time I've finished with a car I usually think this is fucked, nobody will buy this and just scrap it. I've honestly scrapped more cars than I've sold by a factor of quite a lot. It's why I kept buying Triumph 1300s because I already had a garage full of spares for them. And why I now do the same for Favorit/Felicias. 

2 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Maybe just me then. By the time I've finished with a car I usually think this is fucked, nobody will buy this and just scrap it. I've honestly scrapped more cars than I've sold by a factor of quite a lot. It's why I kept buying Triumph 1300s because I already had a garage full of spares for them. And why I now do the same for Favorit/Felicias. 

I've either scrapped them if they're too far gone or sold them at auction - last car I sold face to face was back in 2011 - I probably average one in/one out a year