1975 Turner Ranger BL parts bin 'tractor' - now with bonus NEC 2023 Classic Motor Show content

Blake's Den

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article about the Turner Ranger and also the Elswick Envoy in the August 2022 edition of Classic Tractor. The article is a chat with Tony Turner formerly of Turner Engineering Ltd. I've learnt some things that I didn't know!

What's the Elswick Envoy connection? Elswick Group took over Turner Engineering Ltd and built the Envoys in the same factory as where the Rangers were built.

IMG_20220626_192947230.jpg

• 1 year later...

I decided to do some work on the Turner Ranger this weekend. 

The first job was to try and get it running! It keeps fouling the plugs but it will run, just not very well. I rebuilt the carburetor a couple of years ago and fitted an electronic ingtion kit. I suspect that it is over fueling as it will start without the need to use the choke. But before I start messing around with the carb I want to make sure that the ignition system and timing is all good first.

There are no external timing marks on the egine. They are hidden behind a plate and can only be seen with a mirror. I've yet to see them! A bit more investigation required to see if I can get it running smoothly and reliably.

IMG_20231007_200754296.thumb.jpg.37a325ff8501567865282fe369400f01.jpg

Video of my recent exploits with the Turner Ranger

I've got her running quite sweet now. I even tried a cold start this morning and she fires up straight away. I think that I will try swapping the spark plugs to a hotter runing type. Due to the low gearing  the engine is never really under a hard load, particularly when I'm just bombing around the garden. I think that this is one of the reasons that the plugs keep fouling up.

All being well and if the moon and stars align then my Turner Ranger should be making an appearance at NEC classic in a months time.......

• 5 weeks later...

A bit of an update on the Ranger. I was invited by the Minikits group to display it on their stand at the NEC classic motor show. When I was prepping it I thought that I would tighten the hand brake up a little as it would help me with loading it onto my trailer. Long stroy short - the transmission brake caliper was half missing! Therefore I had to instigate a bodge to get it ready in time for the show. You can still get a replacement caliper, it is actually off a go kart. However I didn't want to pay the £80 postage from the USA....

Luckily, we made it to the show and I got to meet some great people. I event met someone who used to make these on the production line in the factory! The ranger had lots of interest and I was pleased to show it off.

At the end of the show I filmed this video. Warning - it contains about 2 minutes of horns being sounded to mark the end of the event. I then captured my drive across the NEC site back to my car and trailer. I saw some great cars along the way - it is not every day that you see a Ferrari 348, a maestro camper, a SD1, a Fiat Coupe and and MG Xpower SV in a line of traffic.

• Blake's Den changed the title to 1975 Turner Ranger BL parts bin 'tractor' - now with bonus NEC 2023 Classic Motor Show content
On 04/06/2022 at 14:23, Blake's Den said:

I found a better photo whilst looking for something completely different. The company was Aiton in Derby, looks like they were a pipe manufacturer.

IMG_20191228_111141563~2.jpg

The curved high pressure steam pipes on a locomotive are known as aiton pipes.  I didn't realise it was the name of a manufacturer.