Cars in film/TV that still exist

sheffcortinacentre

10 hours ago, Yoss said:

They repeat them on Yesterday but it's always the more recent episodes, which are still over 20 years old, but to me it has to be Foggy, Compo and Clegg, I think they were genuinely funny. After that it just felt a bit forced, just a home for retired actors. 

Foggy wasn't one of the original characters, the original trio was Blamire, Compo and Clegg.

7 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Foggy wasn't one of the original characters, the original trio was Blamire, Compo and Clegg.

I didn't know that, he must have still been busy being Mr Barraclough in Porridge at the time. Still the classic trio though. 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:34 PM, quicksilver said:

Saw something worthy of this thread today. Yes, that's the actual Sweeney Consul just casually sitting among everything else at the Moggerhanger Park show.

NHK295M.thumb.jpg.4e26f912386f4ac67fc3f64ffd20bc18.jpg

Hi, A nugget of useless information. Other Fords, part of the Ford PR fleet, in the registration sequence were used in the film Brannigan.

Colin

I watched Brannigan a couple of months ago when it was on TPTV.

There’s a very early yellow Capri II (M reg I think) that chases an S type Jag and ends up in a roadworks skip after the Tower Bridge jump.

I doubt Ford would have used it afterwards, so I wonder if it was a pre-production model or something similar they couldn’t (or didn’t want to) sell on to the public. 

Edit: Just read on wiki that the black E type used by the hitman character in this film survived, the current owner is trying to get the original registration back. I’m impressed as the car looked a bit of a mildly customised heap in the film. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I watched Brannigan a couple of months ago when it was on TPTV.

There’s a very early yellow Capri II (M reg I think) that chases an S type Jag and ends up in a roadworks skip after the Tower Bridge jump.

I doubt Ford would have used it afterwards, so I wonder if it was a pre-production model or something similar they couldn’t (or didn’t want to) sell on to the public. 

Edit: Just read on wiki that the black E type used by the hitman character in this film survived, the current owner is trying to get the original registration back. I’m impressed as the car looked a bit of a mildly customised heap in the film. 

What, this one?!

snap13861.thumb.jpg.60ff3c9eccf528faa9a80a45d9377837.jpg

After watching Jimmy Nail's Spender recently, I did a bit of research into the three Sierra Cosworths his character drove (a new one in each of the three series):

- G325 WVW: allegedly stolen from the set and burnt out during filming of series 1, but that was in 1990 and it had a V5 issued in 1994 and was taxed until 1998.

- H674 LAR: supposedly survives (reported in Norfolk in 2006) but no DVLA record so maybe re-registered.

- K95 BRX: untaxed since 2003 but V5 issued in 2005 and also supposedly survives (the car blown up at the end of the final episode was a replica).

4 hours ago, quicksilver said:

- H674 LAR: supposedly survives (reported in Norfolk in 2017) but no DVLA record so maybe re-registered.

curious one that is, its a DVLA hidden record, as if its a Northern Ireland Car or a car which someone tried to V62 with the wrong chassis number or other such fuckery (which will cause the DVLA to hide a record from their 1st party checker like how they hide old NI vehicles)

shows as being Exported on the 18th of the 5th 1992, so go figure that one out if it was reported in Norfolk in 2017...

(it is worth noting that on the old V5's the Scrapped and exported bits where the same you would fill in a date and then you would just tick one of 2 boxes "I scrapped" or "I exported" so I wonder if those 2 have ever been mixed up LOL)

59 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

curious one that is, its a DVLA hidden record, as if its a Northern Ireland Car or a car which someone tried to V62 with the wrong chassis number or other such fuckery (which will cause the DVLA to hide a record from their 1st party checker like how they hide old NI vehicles)

shows as being Exported on the 18th of the 5th 1992, so go figure that one out if it was reported in Norfolk in 2017...

(it is worth noting that on the old V5's the Scrapped and exported bits where the same you would fill in a date and then you would just tick one of 2 boxes "I scrapped" or "I exported" so I wonder if those 2 have ever been mixed up LOL)

I knew you'd be able to shed some light on this one :) There are no photos to prove it survives, just the typical hearsay of someone who knows someone who claims to have seen it and met someone who might have been the owner.

Two theories:

1. It was exported but someone brought it back and did something weird to try and get it registered in the UK again that caused the DVLA to hide the record.

2. Maybe it was actually this one that was nicked - the dates fit better as the second series was filmed in 1991/2 - and whoever returned the V5 ticked the exported box instead of scrapped by mistake.

On 27/05/2022 at 15:32, quicksilver said:

I knew you'd be able to shed some light on this one :) There are no photos to prove it survives, just the typical hearsay of someone who knows someone who claims to have seen it and met someone who might have been the owner.

Two theories:

1. It was exported but someone brought it back and did something weird to try and get it registered in the UK again that caused the DVLA to hide the record.

2. Maybe it was actually this one that was nicked - the dates fit better as the second series was filmed in 1991/2 - and whoever returned the V5 ticked the exported box instead of scrapped by mistake.

Yeah!  a vehicle can only ever "drop off" the DVLA computer if its been out of use since before 1983, so when I See someone with a fairly modern car say "theres no result" I always have to investigate :) (as I know there WILL usually be something hiding somewhere!)

funnily enough one of the Mondeo's from @egg's thread is hidden in much the same way (but it has no markers against it all)

On 17/05/2022 at 23:34, LightBulbFun said:

and K952FVX has no markers against it but is DVLA hidden, as if someone tried to apply for its logbook with the VIN number from a different car (which will cause the DVLA to hide the record from the 1st party tool, but it will remain visible to 3rd party checkers) its either that or it was sent over to NI at some point but managed to retain its english mark (computerised NI vehicles that fell out of use before the 2014 merge, dont show up on the DVLA 1st party site but will do on 3rd party sites)

but this all got me thinking a bit, when you have an old vehicle, say a historic vehicle with an age related plate and you gather enough evidence to claim back its original  plate, when you do so, sometimes the DVLA will hide the age related plate record (with no markers to say  a plate change or such!) and then setup a duplicate record but setup with the vehicles original plate,

an example of this is CSV609 became 163CLD and was split into 2 records (and you can look up either on 3rd party sites no problem) and this splitting/duplicating of records can also happen if you declare a vehicle made in a different year and they issue a new age related plate to replace its current plate (thats what happened to JNJ135L, it was sadly falsely declared made 1965 and given the age related plate HKH330C on a duplicated record)

and other times the DVLA will just tack the claimed or age related plate onto the existing record as if you had just applied a private plate ( @MorrisItalSLX has a Q plate from a Volvo that was done such, not often see you a Q plate vehicle with plate change history LOL)

image.png

and I have seen this happen when an english vehicle that was sent to Northern Ireland in the past before the 2014 merge,

when a vehicle was sent to NI, the DVLA record would be hidden and a new duplicate record would be set up in NI  on NI's own computer (and the NI V5c will usually say "previously registered *english mark*" in the special notes section ) so I did a bit of digging and low and behold!

image.thumb.png.3b77aec85bb537125b4c445409bf7e31.png

image.thumb.png.d293330c3467b6234df9ba185dbd5789.png

(the DVSA refuses to spit out a result for it, so its very likely sold to NI rather then someone sticking a NI plate on it)

and before anyone asks sadly no the Mondeo does not produce any results like this (I did try at the time I learnt about it!)

I've noticed when checking registrations in magazines a few produce a response of Not Enough Information, which I believe indicates the registration on the car was changed (normally to a personalised one) & the original one was put in abeyance in case the personalised combination was moved to another vehicle.

1 hour ago, Richard_FM said:

I've noticed when checking registrations in magazines a few produce a response of Not Enough Information, which I believe indicates the registration on the car was changed (normally to a personalised one) & the original one was put in abeyance in case the personalised combination was moved to another vehicle.

When I put a personalised registration on my ute it split the history, both the original and new registrations return results. The original registration shows up as not taxed or MOT'd.

I'm under the impression that this is not how it's supposed to work however. I'll be interested to see what happens when I eventually take the registration off when I sell the car.

Possibly related is the fact that I was not able to do the registration change online; I had to go to a post office. I wonder if they did something wrong?

I apologise for my part in dragging this thread off topic.

11 hours ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

When I put a personalised registration on my ute it split the history, both the original and new registrations return results. The original registration shows up as not taxed or MOT'd.

I'm under the impression that this is not how it's supposed to work however. I'll be interested to see what happens when I eventually take the registration off when I sell the car.

Possibly related is the fact that I was not able to do the registration change online; I had to go to a post office. I wonder if they did something wrong?

I apologise for my part in dragging this thread off topic.

Don't worry it's interesting to find the quirks of the DVLA's operations.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah!  a vehicle can only ever "drop off" the DVLA computer if its been out of use since before 1983, so when I See someone with a fairly modern car say "theres no result" I always have to investigate :) (as I know there WILL usually be something hiding somewhere!)

funnily enough one of the Mondeo's from @egg's thread is hidden in much the same way (but it has no markers against it all)

but this all got me thinking a bit, when you have an old vehicle, say a historic vehicle with an age related plate and you gather enough evidence to claim back its original  plate, when you do so, sometimes the DVLA will hide the age related plate record (with no markers to say  a plate change or such!) and then setup a duplicate record but setup with the vehicles original plate, an example of this is CSV609 became 163CLD and was split into 2 records (and you can look up either on 3rd party sites no problem) and this can also happen if you declare a vehicle made in a different year and they issue an age related plate (thats what happened to JNJ135L it was sadly falsely declared made 1965 and given the age related plate HKH330C on a duplicated record)

and other times the DVLA will just tack the claimed or age related plate onto the existing record as if you had just applied a private plate ( @MorrisItalSLX has a Q plate from a Volvo that was done such, not often see you a Q plate vehicle with plate change history LOL)

and I have seen this happen when an english vehicle that was sent to Northern Ireland before the 2014 merge, the DVLA record would be hidden and a new duplicate record would be set up in NI  on their own computer (and the NI V5c will usually say "previously registered *english mark*" ) so I did a bit of digging and low and behold!

image.thumb.png.3b77aec85bb537125b4c445409bf7e31.png

image.thumb.png.d293330c3467b6234df9ba185dbd5789.png

(the DVSA refuses to spit out a result for it, so its very likely sold to NI rather then someone sticking a NI plate on it)

and before anyone asks sadly no the Mondeo does not produce any results like this (I did try at the time I learnt about it!)

Well found! The reg change on 18/05/1992 is the same day it was exported so it clearly went to NI then. A bit concerning that it hasn't been taxed since 2008 (the Norfolk report was actually back in 2006) so hopefully it didn't get scrapped because the NI plate was hiding its TV history. Someone on the passionford forum claims to have bought it for restoration in 2019 but hasn't posted anything else since so might be telling a porky.

The bigger mystery now is why G325 WVW was still taxed in 1998 when so many sources say it was destroyed in 1990.

21 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I was wondering if G325WVW had a "stunt double" which was stolen & burnt.

It's common for cars used in TV & films to have a duplicate car in case the main one has a problem or to film second unit footage.

That's very likely. I'm pretty sure WVW appears in every episode of series 1 so it wasn't obviously replaced part way through filming. Allegedly the subsequent cars were always guarded by minders when not in action - it was early 1990s Newcastle after all so a Cossie was unlikely to last long there. In real life there's no way Spender would have been allowed to have such a car due to the huge risk of it being nicked and jeopardising police operations.

2 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

That's very likely. I'm pretty sure WVW appears in every episode of series 1 so they didn't have to replace it part way through filming. Allegedly the subsequent cars were always guarded by minders when not in action - it was early 1990s Newcastle after all so a Cossie was unlikely to last long there. In real life there's no way Spender would have been allowed to have such a car due to the huge risk of it being nicked and jeopardising police operations.

In a few things the main character has a car that would make them stand out during an undercover operation.

• 2 months later...

Like the Fiat 850 that featured in a few episodes of The Sweeney, 1960s-70s American Cop show Adam-12 often had a 1967 Ford Mustang as a background car or occasionally used by a character:

spacer.png

More information here:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_556109-Ford-Mustang-1967.html

Edit:

There's even a red Fiat 850 coupe in one episode!

spacer.png

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_556100-Fiat-850-Coupe-100GC-1967.html

On 5/17/2022 at 11:03 PM, Split_Pin said:

The 2003  film by Shane Meadows called Dead Man's Shoes (one of the best films I have ever seen) where the local goons (quite literally) all cruise about in a green and white Citroen 2CV. In the film the gearbox expires after they retreat from a failed assasination attempt at speed but in real life the car is still on the road.

One of my favorite films too - seems like the 2cv looks pretty different these days though

in 2003:

spacer.png

and in 2012: (presumably it still looks like this)

spacer.png

• 1 year later...
On 06/08/2022 at 18:33, Mr Laurence said:

One of my favorite films too - seems like the 2cv looks pretty different these days though

in 2003:

spacer.png

and in 2012: (presumably it still looks like this)

spacer.png

How weird is it that this thread resurfaces, today I had seen a clip of dead man’s shoes and then looked up the 2CV in question and saw the clown car pics… 

Was coming here to post them! 

1 hour ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Was watching a film on tptv recently  "calling all cars" about the newly opened Dover ferry crossing ( 1950's) the female lead drives a nearly new XK 120 in a dark colour (the UK was still B&W )  MDU 524.

According to DVLA it's currently taxed & is green (BRG at a guess) wonder if the owner knows?

Googling the reg reveals plenty of interesting info about MDU524. It's a record-breaker, works competition car and concours winner owned by a dedicated enthusiast so I'm sure he knows chapter and verse of its entire history. You could have bought it at Retromobile 2020 for a mere 4 million euros.