Procured..... Cavalier 1.8 LS

cpjitservices

Twenty years ago I worked for a bloke who had one of these as his 'dog car'. I was without wheels for a bit and ended up borrowing it to drive from Surrey to Devon. What a fantastic car, far too good for his dogs. 

I agree, decent engine, plenty of pep. Bit rubbery to drive but it's all part of the charm

When you think about it, the Cavalier was way ahead of the game, I would say superior to a Sierra (I’ve had a Sierra for 20 years) .  Friend of mine had a couple of year old G reg 2.0 GLi superb car. Cousin had a Cavaluer SRi changed it for an N reg  Vectra Sri-said it wasnt a patch on the Cavalier. How did Vauxhall lose the game?

On 5/6/2022 at 7:04 PM, JMotor said:

You a winnAr! 

Seller is a sound c*nt too. I got the light blue Vectra off him.  

It's a great base to do something with. Be it a light resto and keep stock. Or add one or two touches. 

Given the job that Vectra's turned out to be, I'm honored you still think so! 

1 hour ago, Stevebrookman said:

When you think about it, the Cavalier was way ahead of the game, I would say superior to a Sierra (I’ve had a Sierra for 20 years) .  Friend of mine had a couple of year old G reg 2.0 GLi superb car. Cousin had a Cavaluer SRi changed it for an N reg  Vectra Sri-said it wasnt a patch on the Cavalier. How did Vauxhall lose the game?

The world moved on. Vauxhall didn't. And that's from a massive GM fanboy. 

1 hour ago, Stevebrookman said:

They clearly lost it by coming out with this as a modern successor, via the Vectra, which was semi-half-decent, just got worse and worse as the years went by :(

VAUXHALL INSIGNIA 2.0 SRI CDTI 5DR For Sale in Chorley - MDC Autos

I too will vouch that Mr Brawit </localjoke> is a certified Good Egg. 
Cavs are class and the 1.8 is the pick of the bunch. I've wanted one ever since my dad had a grey 1.8LS as a courtesy car for his 190E in 2003. The smooth drive and one touch windows were a revelation compared to what we were used to - cooking Fiestas and the 190E that in 2003 just felt dated. 

Cavaliers are great, and I’m beginning to regret selling the ones I’ve had, even the mint N reg expression I had… be worth a fortune now. 

looks like a potteries reg number, any of the original dealer stickers or plates still on it? 

12 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

They clearly lost it by coming out with this as a modern successor, via the Vectra, which was semi-half-decent, just got worse and worse as the years went by :(

VAUXHALL INSIGNIA 2.0 SRI CDTI 5DR For Sale in Chorley - MDC Autos

I don’t know if it’s just my perception but the Insignia is considered a bit naff. I think this was exemplified when one was depicted as David Brent’s company car selling bog rolls. 

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

I don’t know if it’s just my perception but the Insignia is considered a bit naff. I think this was exemplified when one was depicted as David Brent’s company car selling bog rolls. 

Oh yeah they're total dog shit now and always have been. I know they're getting on a bit now but I've seen 11 & 12 plate ones scrapped because of electrical faults and water ingress where the labour of tracing the issues would exceed the car's value

Compare that to other 2011/2012 cars from other manufacturers and it's clear how the Insignia is disproportionately shit compared to competitors. 

At least the Vectras are a little bit more hardy, pretty much all the diesel ones are hanging by now with DPF/Turbo/Injector/DMF faults but so are all their competitors like the MK3 Mondeo etc.

And how that bloke in Devon managed to flog a 12 plate one for £8k is beyond me 🤣

5 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Nice. Very nice old motor these. Once the very bar of success of the 90s rep (so long as it had an 'i' on the badge)

Therr is a certain Scottish guy on the tube of You who loves these and has 2 or 3 Cavaliers amongst his collection of Vauxhall tat. He also has a Vectra B and an 'Or'megaa (Omega) manual estate. 

Aye, that would be Dougie. Knows his stuff being editor of Total Vauxhall..

I will use this thread to do updates and things on the Cav.

First update is.

Its going in Next week for Clutch Kit and Cambelt providing im not having too much fun hooning around in it.

All fluids and filters are going to be replaced also.

16 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Oh yeah they're total dog shit now and always have been. I know they're getting on a bit now but I've seen 11 & 12 plate ones scrapped because of electrical faults and water ingress where the labour of tracing the issues would exceed the car's value

Compare that to other 2011/2012 cars from other manufacturers and it's clear how the Insignia is disproportionately shit compared to competitors. 

At least the Vectras are a little bit more hardy, pretty much all the diesel ones are hanging by now with DPF/Turbo/Injector/DMF faults but so are all their competitors like the MK3 Mondeo etc.

And how that bloke in Devon managed to flog a 12 plate one for £8k is beyond me 🤣

Yeah I mean, having to use a diags machine to wind back the pistons in the brake calipers is a bit of a piss take... no sir you shall not be able to change the brakes without expensive diags equipment.. dont be silly!!!

8 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Cavaliers are great, and I’m beginning to regret selling the ones I’ve had, even the mint N reg expression I had… be worth a fortune now. 

looks like a potteries reg number, any of the original dealer stickers or plates still on it? 

No, Unfortunately not though I aim to rectify that.

Just now, cpjitservices said:

Yeah I mean, having to use a diags machine to wind back the pistons in the brake calipers is a bit of a piss take... no sir you shall not be able to change the brakes without expensive diags equipment.. dont be silly!!!

That's true of any new car to be honest but I completely agree it's ridiculous. 

A handy trick to retract the electronic motor if you're in a pinch is to stick a 9 volt battery on the 2 pin connector to wind it back, but you'll still need a scan tool to wind it out in the correct position and calibrate the system afterwards

I know some humans can be stupid but I would much prefer to trust myself applying a manual handbrake than a computer applying and holding an electronic handbrake 😂

The proprietary tool to plug in and service the back brakes aren’t that dear now. The diesels don’t seek to be especially durable without major expense, even for a diesel. Gearbox bearings going on 2nd and 6th, oil pump seals going etc etc. 

If I was going to have one it’d be the slow as a week on remand, 1.8 petrol, the Z18 XER is a plodder but it’s straightforward. The facelifted ones were a bit better in terms of durability. 

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

My Grampa has bought Cavs, Veccys, and Insignias every three-ish years for a long time. His 59, 63, and 66 reg Insignia diesels were plagued with software issues. The 69 plate one is a lot better though.

All in all, I'd rather a Cavalier. 😂