Find me some shite - in France

motorpunk

Just for fun, but who knows…

I’m off to France (Menton) this summer. I’m tempted to buy a cheap, running, interesting car and bring it home. I’m thinking reliable enough to get home to England, cheap enough that I won’t have the arse when it’s stolen/broken/dodgy. I prefer 60s-70s stuff, manual, quirky. 

I speak no French. I’m not good with paperwork. I have no garage space when it gets home so might just offload it after the summer.

Suggestions invited!

You need to load the Leboncoin App to your smartphone.

It won't load from the App Store direct to a UK registered phone (at least not mine) because it is outside France.

However I used a proxy app called 'Aptoid' which when loaded in my phone then allowed me to download the Leboncoin app which just runs as normal. There may be other ways but that's how I did it.

The app allows you to search by location, price, year etc.

I've not imported a French car but have run a few on French plates in France.

You can't take anything on the road without a valid Controle Technique (MoT).

I've always used French insurers on my French address - you will need to sort insurance - on that I can't advise.

I'd buy a pre-1982 car to get it MoT and Tax exempt when home.

Don't drive anything illegally in France - it is a police state masquerading as a democracy and you will get stopped, fined and possibly imprisoned - but I still love the place 🇨🇵

5 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

This looks as if it might actually drive:

a2bf418e7671181f9e7c722ede29758b1e5b4d6d

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2132570392.htm

The ad says "vendu en l'état" (sold as seen)  - the euphemism used in French car ads which basically means it does not have a CT and so is not usable.

For this reason non-CT cars are usually half the price or less of an equivalent with CT.

Cars are dearer in France than the UK, as lesapandre says.

I suspect they've had their own scrappage scheme, which has spoilt the party somewhat. Plus the CT will be much stricter than our MoT if it's anything like the German TuV.

I share your dream, but suspect we're at least 20 years too late.

The CT has got much stricter in recent years and pushed a lot of nice old cars off the road. And transferring ownership is more difficult without a CT - basically you are buying the car 'as seen' and without a log book.

But don't be put off there are great cars to be had - it's just at the cheaper end of the market they won't be road legal.

I'd budget 3000€ for anything interesting and with a CT but without cars are very cheap. How about a BX for 350€?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2147540659.htm

It won't stay this way for long as most of these cheap non-CT cars will be scrapped.

France will continue to tighten its emissions controls - and move very quickly to an electric fleet so plenty of bargains to be had.

37 minutes ago, egg said:

I expect Marseille would offer more options and then drive along the coast!

Yeah, I’m driving from Calais so I guess anywhere vaguely on route. It’s a bit of a pipe dream but I fancy some French cack in my life - had a 309 SRi which was ok but flakey, and a Scenic which was utter crap, but an older Pug or Renault appeals.

2 hours ago, lesapandre said:

The CT has got much stricter in recent years and pushed a lot of nice old cars off the road. And transferring ownership is more difficult without a CT - basically you are buying the car 'as seen' and without a log book.

But don't be put off there are great cars to be had - it's just at the cheaper end of the market they won't be road legal.

I'd budget 3000€ for anything interesting and with a CT but without cars are very cheap. How about a BX for 350€?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2147540659.htm

It won't stay this way for long as most of these cheap non-CT cars will be scrapped.

France will continue to tighten its emissions controls - and move very quickly to an electric fleet so plenty of bargains to be had.

Without the CT can it not be driven on the road or exported?

58 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Without the CT can it not be driven on the road or exported?

You can drive but it depends on the level of fail - some are advisories requiring a re-test and some are straightforward fails that render the car permanently off the road.  But both preclude use. 

Export is fine just get a receipt.

surely to get round the lack of a CT, if the aim of the game is to get an MOT exempt vehicle anyways

you can just buy vehicle now immediately mail off V55/5 to DVLA

and bam by the time you go to France to pick it up the vehicle is UK registered and MOT exempt and all legal by the rules of the country its registered with, so no problem? :mrgreen:

If you can get over the border to Italy why not give this bloke a shout,

https://www.dgclassiccars.com

No language barriers and he might be able to point you in the direction of some interesting worthless old toss that still functions OK. I make no observations about whether the admin side of things is worse or much worse than obtaining/importing a French vehicle however.

Depending as others have said in the degree of fail you have a couple of months to use it/present for retest.

If it has the day of the test sticker on the screen (a big letter R I think) then it’s drive for the fail day only then trailer after that until a fresh CT.

You are of course assuming that you get pulled. I don’t see a frog plod for weeks at a time and then like buses I see about 10. Waze is heavily used here but because speed camera detectors or warnings are illegal there’s a lot of police reported wherever there is a fixed camera so may not help you dodge a pull.