Mini van rescue mission.

sutty2006

17 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

His plan is to tuck the blue one up close to the edge of his car port and put the van in the middle. He will then get a rear subframe and bolt the new floor to it. Then the sills and floors after and weld them in. Any parts that can be reused off the original will be. But mostly used as reference. 

People have been 'restoring' Land Rovers like that for years 🤣

No shame in being realistic!

5 hours ago, Crackers said:

Surely that's got to be a re-shell job, a chassis-plate resto.

(He says, not knowing anything about the availability of van shells)

Everything standard mini is available. I think the only panel not available is the roof, luckily the roof is ok and only needs around the vent repairing. The vent is toast, but luckily available new. The load bed is going to be custom made by someone who makes them as one offs I think. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My mum had one of these when we were kids, ex-MOD in black, was in great condition when she got it.  We used to ride in the back on a bit of carpet. 

All the earnest debates about the safest child seats and NCAP ratings these days do make me smile a bit.

This van looks great, he's fairly cracking on with it. 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, sutty2006 said:

Cheapest van on evilbay is 12k restored. Probably gonna take close to 7/8k to restore? I’ll keep this post updated as and when I can. 

Double that cost for restoration, it's surprising how all the little bits add up.

I hope the seats are being kept, they're a rare thing to find in a van.

5 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Double that cost for restoration, it's surprising how all the little bits add up.

I hope the seats are being kept, they're a rare thing to find in a van.

Yup, I recently approached someone regarding my Mini. It's been 18 years and I still haven't found it within myself to make a start on it - as much as I'd love it back on the road. He gave a rough ballpark figure based on my description and it was just over £10k, with both of us being aware that there would definitely be more work found once he started. That was just for labour bringing the shell up to a standard as close to perfect as you'll get.

There's no way in hell I could afford that, but if I could it would be an entirely reasonable expense. His work is all over the place and is top quality. Add in cost for panels, and any other labour and parts to complete a full resto and you're easily into £20k.

That is some major work being put in.... 

Forgive my ignorance - but with the entire floor, inner sills etc... being replaced - what is he using as datum points to keep it within spec? 

I see a bit of door bracing but wondered if there was anything else in place 

Apologies if I missed it 

I’ve got a horrible feeling he is not keeping the rear seat. He has no use for it as his kids are grown up now. Shame, but it is what it is. I will get more info and data when I next see him. He’s had a van in the past and regrets getting rid of it. Plus he still has his blue mini that he uses regularly. So he’s a bit of a mini nut!