I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

20 minutes ago, grogee said:

Well done man, fantastic work. I've always wanted an XM. In fact any floating Citroen. You must feel very satisfied. 

Get it in for a test while the going's good

well i've got 2 hydraulic citroen's now

both are fantastic

yes i'll likely pop into the garage in the coming days to book an MOT for a few weeks time

12 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

Well done on getting it going, I'm sure you'll turn it into a stunner like your old Picasso and C5.

that's the goal

bodywork will never be factory fresh, it's very good as it is but it's got chips, scratches etc.....but then again, it is 30 years old so to be expected

interior is what i'm working on for the next few days, going to get it as nice as i can

4 minutes ago, maxxo said:

that's the goal

bodywork will never be factory fresh, it's very good as it is but it's got chips, scratches etc.....but then again, it is 30 years old so to be expected

interior is what i'm working on for the next few days, going to get it as nice as i can

I and I reckon the whole of AS have every faith in you mate!

6 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I and I reckon the whole of AS have every faith in you mate!

fingers crossed!

if it keeps going as well as it is then this will have been a relatively easy project

still got the pain in the arse of the height lever to sort, but once that's done i dare say it's pretty much mechanically sorted

needs a service though

Just now, maxxo said:

fingers crossed!

if it keeps going as well as it is then this will have been a relatively easy project

still got the pain in the arse of the height lever to sort, but once that's done i dare say it's pretty much mechanically sorted

needs a service though

No pressure like, but the speed your going at I expect it all done and dusted by the weekend and you eyeing up DS's next week 😀.

7 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Oh my, it's a runner! I bet the clattery racket of a cold XUD has never sounded so welcome. Looking forward to updownupdownupdownupdown vids when you get there. 

This is one classy motor car.

going to run it up to temp next i think to make sure all is okay

still slightly concerned as it had no coolant when it arrived

6 minutes ago, maxxo said:

you know weirdly enough, even though i like them i don't fancy owning a DS.......CX or C6 could satisfy me though

I’ve had CXs and they’re great but needy. DS I don’t want after being a passenger in my mechanic friend’s one - far too floaty. Same guy has an SM I’ve been a passenger in too - wonderful but bill woes are scary. C6 is too risky now as well now since Citroen basically decided to scrap factory parts rather than sell them.

6 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I’ve had CXs and they’re great but needy. DS I don’t want after being a passenger in my mechanic friend’s one - far too floaty. Same guy has an SM I’ve been a passenger in too - wonderful but bill woes are scary. C6 is too risky now as well now since Citroen basically decided to scrap factory parts rather than sell them.

honestly, my next hydrualic purchase will likely be a newer C5 to replace my C5 if it dies

there just doesn't seem to be a better all rounder for hydropneumatic cars

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

honestly, my next hydrualic purchase will likely be a newer C5 to replace my C5 if it dies

there just doesn't seem to be a better all rounder for hydropneumatic cars

I went to a launch event for the series3 c5 ( in the x1/9). It was good but only the higher spec has hydro pneumatic suspension 

6 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

If he’s the Paul I think he is, then he is a top bloke and you’re in very good hands then in this case. 

yes i believe he may well be

absolute top bloke, met him once, was great!

first time i'd ridden in an XM that day, i knew then i wanted one

5 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I went to a launch event for the series3 c5 ( in the x1/9). It was good but only the higher spec has hydro pneumatic suspension 

probably the MK1 facelift i'd go for

or a modern toyota etc, depends on my circumstances

so you may ask, why this XM?

well i was told about, and yes i was interested

so i decided to do some research

then i found out it's story, with a guy called Ray etc

something just felt right about this car

i felt a bit sorry for the car too, i knew from the moment i saw it i wanted it, so yes i decided to buy it.....for £1,000......most expensive car i've ever bought by an absolute mile

it's just exactly what i was looking for, right spec, right generation, right engine and right gearbox

so here i am

and i love it

17 minutes ago, maxxo said:

yes i believe he may well be

absolute top bloke, met him once, was great!

first time i'd ridden in an XM that day, i knew then i wanted one

He has been a huge help on mine too. sound bloke

As for the coolant leak,  apparently the after market coolant caps are often slight wrong and coolant can blow out through the overflow.  I also had a leak on the water pump shaft seal on mine which is only clear when you have the cambelt covet off, but if you doing the cambelt guess you will probably do that.  Check the condition of the metal coolant pipes out the back of the thermostat housing too.  If you not aware, on these engines the thermostat is on the bottom of the engine which apparently means they are a delight to bleed but a monumental pig to change the stat !

I had a pinhole in a rubber coolant hose on mine. Was a few weeks of driving around waiting for rhe low coolant beep then topping off. Zero signs of damp or anything every time I checked. 

Got annoyed one day and revved the bollocks off it with the bonnet up and saw the tiny jet of water shoot out of the hole. It seems it was evaporating and drying out with the heat from the engine almost instantly, hence why I never saw it. Some self amalgamating tape fixed it. 

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

Seems its worth keeping an eye on then

It's holding the level just fine since I filled it up on Friday, hasn't dropped at all

I don't think it's a head gasket, I really hope not

Head gasket failure usually manifest with pressure in the header tank and coolant blowing past the pressure cap.  Bubbles in the header tank when cold and engine running is usually the first sign of trouble.  Apparently its corrosion which takes the HG out so its recommended to use a higher than 50 percent mix of the correct coolant and deionised water when filling

4 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

Head gasket failure usually manifest with pressure in the header tank and coolant blowing past the pressure cap.  Bubbles in the header tank when cold and engine running is usually the first sign of trouble.  Apparently its corrosion which takes the HG out so its recommended to use a higher than 50 percent mix of the correct coolant and deionised water when filling

I must admit it's just got tap water in it at the moment......I don't see much of an issue as it'll be having a cambelt in a month or so anyway, and I'll be putting some coolant in it

Oil is fine etc and no mayo anywhere

I'd not worry too much until you get driving it properly. After I did my cambelt and waterpump on the Xsara I noticed signs of pink coolant dripping onto the chassis below the water pump area, and the level did drop ever so slightly for a while. 

I just bought more coolant and kept topping it up and for the last year or so it's not lost a drop (I keep a squash bottle of ready mix in the boot just in case) so maybe a seal has swelled up finally or other French magic.  When I did the aux belt and camshaft pulley I had a good look under the cambelt cover and all was bone dry, so I moved it down to 'meh' in the priority list, if it was that bad it would be visible. 

You'll struggle to troubleshoot it idling on the drive, best to have the low coolant beep come on in l3 of the motorway for the proper level of panic 👍

7 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I've just had a read through mate, absolutely fantastic to see you've got it running so quickly. What a brilliant car - I would absolutely love an XM. Looks like this one is in good hands!

thank you!

it's progressing very rapidly

just had a quick check on the car

yep still there

no leaks underneath and the LHM tank still has the green juice in it

wonderful!

also note the sills

this is with just kurust on them and a quick wire brush

No description available.

going to get some more of the loose stuff off tomorrow

No description available.

now bear in mind it looked like this yesterday