Jump to content

I've done a silly......CITROEN XM


maxxo

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Fucking Awesome! :) 

Also: Autoshite, Home of Citroens with Appropriate number plates :) (see also XAN71A)

@Mrs6C/ @Six-cylinder's XM had/has the same issue and no matter where I moved the gear lever I always ended up in reverse somehow LOL

eventually I just swore at it (sorry! LOL) and moved the gear lever all the way to the bottom which I knew would be 1st, et viola it worked and I could finally get myself to the toilet at the FoD LOL

(it still amuses me that the one gearbox I had trouble working/operating, was a bloody automatic LOL)

all good fun tho :) 

After a short while you just count the clicks of the shifter! All came back to me when I last drove their xm too! 

Even on dad's modern I do it, rather than hunt for the tiny bit of the lcd that shows the selection, just click down 3 for d, up 1 for n and etc! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

After a short while you just count the clicks of the shifter! All came back to me when I last drove their xm too! 

Even on dad's modern I do it, rather than hunt for the tiny bit of the lcd that shows the selection, just click down 3 for d, up 1 for n and etc! 

I like the one in the C5, it's very easy to use and never selected the wrong gear......apart from the time I jumped out to put something in a bin and left it in drive

 

That was fun

Screenshot_20220422-213337_Gallery.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Yea you'll always know where that is! Equally foot on the brake and see which way the car tries to creep never did me wrong! 

It's going to be extremely interesting to see how this XM compares to the C5

I'll still mainly use the C5, tbh, it's a better daily driver I feel and much less prone to rot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, maxxo said:

I'm extremely tempted to take it for an MOT in the coming weeks, once I get the obvious stuff sorted.........

Probably a good idea, for £50 or so you get a list to work through of stuff that's a priority. With things like this it can be hard to figure out where to start!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

hey it could be a Lorry or bus with air brakes LOL

if you cant start it and build air pressure then your going nowhere! (unless you slacken off the shoes with the adjuster)

Reminds me of the time a bus ran out of diesel one day, the wrecker came out but by this point the air pressure had dropped and the brahms brake had come on, then it wouldn't start once more diesel was in it, so they had to rig an air line up to get the air pressure back up again to release the brakes so they could tow it in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As @wesacosa mentioned earlier, there can be a pin code immobiliser on these. Have a read on Club XM before you go doing anything with it— even unplugging it!

I see you have some extra wiring in the engine bay. If you are lucky this isn’t full bodgorama and it just an untidy installation of a starter solenoid relay which is a really common necessary addition on these. 
 

That’s a really good looking XM!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, greengartside said:

Sounds like you’ll need a source of parts…

3B0DCE9B-90EF-4699-9B24-43C02F061CE2.thumb.jpeg.5dff1c2c807ccc1be6c745046c8d48a8.jpeg

David Yarham Salvage - 01508 482612.

The number plate references the preferred Breakdown gang, likely.....

That should be craned, as is, away to a shed... WCPGW (just not having the bit you need) 🥺

ACE tredd, certifiable! 👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Probably a good idea, for £50 or so you get a list to work through of stuff that's a priority. With things like this it can be hard to figure out where to start!

If its say £300 to get it through then they can just do it

But yes its worth it I reckon 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jamescarruthers said:

As @wesacosa mentioned earlier, there can be a pin code immobiliser on these. Have a read on Club XM before you go doing anything with it— even unplugging it!

I see you have some extra wiring in the engine bay. If you are lucky this isn’t full bodgorama and it just an untidy installation of a starter solenoid relay which is a really common necessary addition on these. 
 

That’s a really good looking XM!

No keypad on this, nor was there even which is interesting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

No keypad on this, nor was there even which is interesting 

I have it in my mind it might have been an option on s1 but may be wrong. I have a launch year brochure at home so will have a look

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

I have it in my mind it might have been an option on s1 but may be wrong. I have a launch year brochure at home so will have a look

I tend to agree, but something is stopping power going to the fuel pump stop solenoid, what that is I don't know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I tend to agree, but something is stopping power going to the fuel pump stop solenoid, what that is I don't know

maybe just a wiring/earth problem? I would have thought an after market immobilizer would have some evidence (LED in dash, Extra fob etc?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20220423_122600.thumb.jpg.237df0998fc5934b749bfd65e2b542e7.jpg

Yup, down 4, up 2 although as we are in London I just drove like London does and sat on the brakes... 

20220423_122606.thumb.jpg.7f6ddedc95a63758de4a7baf772db331.jpg

Because this gets fucking confusing where it changes every 5 minutes (lane assist turned off within 5 seconds) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

maybe just a wiring/earth problem? I would have thought an after market immobilizer would have some evidence (LED in dash, Extra fob etc?)

There is extra stuff in the dash.......2 buttons I think above the ashtray and a green LED to the left of the switches on the right hand side

If so, then should be an easy fix......fingers crossed

One day I might trust it enough to leave the battery connected overnight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...