I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

That's what didn't work on my Xsara, and when I decided it was easier and safer all round to just leave it be and never care about it again! 

Was after I'd stitched the boot loom back together and got that working so I didn't jinx it and a year later it's all still fine*

I'm worried now, something else is going to fail now. Your fixing too much 😬

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

That's what didn't work on my Xsara, and when I decided it was easier and safer all round to just leave it be and never care about it again! 

Was after I'd stitched the boot loom back together and got that working so I didn't jinx it and a year later it's all still fine*

I'm worried now, something else is going to fail now. Your fixing too much 😬

it's infrared instead of the modern high frequency, so it's absolutely rubbish and you have to be at the car to be able to lock it

but yes

i can lock remotely!

9 minutes ago, maxxo said:

it's infrared instead of the modern high frequency, so it's absolutely rubbish and you have to be at the car to be able to lock it

but yes

i can lock remotely!

It's only a small thing but it is nice to have that working, it was the first fix I did on my Quasar when I had it. It's got povvo spec windows but at least the plippy key works. The other key had a virtually dead LED which appeared to be caused by a stuck switch. A blast of decent cleaner sorted that and a key fob from a long dead ZX provided another LED.

A good dose of WD40 spray copper grease sorted the locks out but it took a few weeks for them all to work properly, someone must have been locking and unlocking the car with the key for years so they'd all been sat dormant.

Line of sight works OK if you know where the sensor is,  just shoot from the hip.

On 15/06/2022 at 17:17, maxxo said:

now onto the next job

No description available.

as you know i replaced the fuel filter the other day and i buggered it up of course

cos it now cranks for 5-10 seconds before coughing into life depending on how long it's been sat

so the copper washers arrived today, didn't actually get round to fitting them as i noticed i could move the output pipe slightly when pressure was applied by my hand, so i decided to take a look at it all for tightness

JUBILEE CLIPS HAVE NO PLACE IN A DIESEL ENGINE FUEL SYSTEM- you WILL let air into the system with that!

23 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

JUBILEE CLIPS HAVE NO PLACE IN A DIESEL ENGINE FUEL SYSTEM- you WILL let air into the system with that!

was like that when i bought it!

fixed it now by tightening it all up until i can be bothered to put new seals in

6 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

needs a proper diesel clip- jubilee clips don't tighten round properly and will be where you get the air leak

just read problem page of any issue of Diesel Car magazine for proof

shall get some at some point then

got a lot of clips to get it seemns

been messing about with the XM today

replaced the drivers side window regulator

removing the door card, what a fuck on that was.......caused by a hidden screw i didn't see!

success!!

now, time to hack apart that 30 odd year old foam padding to get at the regulator

as an idiot i didn't take photos

but look at my toolbox! it's shiny and new and it was a gift

anyway

removed all 5 bolts from the regulator mechanism, gave the top bolt a wedge out with a screwdriver and then moved the regulator to lower the window

once the window was lowered enough and it was time to reach your hand behind the glass and undo the clip, just a small piece of (in my case broken) plastic

now the window is free, i decided to play it safe and do this

you see, whilst it may well be exciting i didn't really want the window to fall into the door and shatter into a million pieces

likely cutting my face open and going in my eyes

so i used the fancy gorilla tape which did it's job

so now time to remove the regulator

of course, being french this was a fuck on but i managed it

yep, looks the same as the replacement which is good

reassembly is more of a fuck on as you have to put the metal bar in first and then twist the motor mechanism round facing what looks like the wrong way to be able to plug it in

then try and feel the holes in the door so the bolts on the motor assembly will fit through

once that was done i then had to align everything

which would be fine if the window didn't keep coming misalinged

but anyway managed it in the end and then time to tape up the door padding and put the door card back in

in doing so breaking the little locking button on that door (central locking still works)

success!

even one touch works perfectly

the car is now tolerable in hot weather which is great

thing is

yes this car is presentable but i feel it's really going to need a full restoration soon

which is a crying shame, i don't quite know what to do with that yet

there is a fair bit of rot in places, and it just needs a good tidy up

another thing, the boot is still absolutely bone dry

no sign of any leaks

i strongly, very strongly suspect a door was left open slightly causing the car to fill with water

the sheer amount of mould would explain that too

i do have slight seepage on the rear near side window seal, only during a jetwash

only thing i get it a slight whiff of diesel on long trips

31 minutes ago, maxxo said:

over 1,000 miles in this one now

erm

nothing to really report.....it's been perfectly reliable

i don't quite know how, but it has to the point where i actually trust it

No. Never say it's "reliable" or that you "trust it". It will bite back with wailing and knashing of teeth.

I’m rather undecided now on what car to take to shitefest in 2 weeks time

likely this, but that’s a decent old oil leak and it needs a belt plus it’s only running through my bodge 

or the C5 which is fine………

apart from the gearbox