I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

11 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I need to pop it back into the garage tomorrow as i have a brake pad rattle (i think)

i imagine the mechanic can't wait to work on it again, he was telling me how much he loved working on it, especially the rack gaitors

do you know if they had to take the rack off to do the gaitor in the end?

On 5/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, maxxo said:

image.thumb.png.8b551433ec919dfbbca334e0873db72d.png

found an alarm power supply i'd removed from someones house, i think when i upgraded their alarm

anyway

it works and is powering the radio

now the question is, 1145 ot 4641 as the code......

concerning

I am at once relieved and disappointed!

Relieved, because i thought you had made a device based on a house alarm that somehow could decode radios, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how you'd done it...

And disappointed, because i imagined that you HAD made such a device, created in a sort of Brainiac/Dick Dastardly mash-up universe...

Dick Dastardly: "Mutley! You unscrupulous hound, now that i have created the RaceWinningDecode-o-matic, all that you need to do is pull that lever and stereo sounds will be mine, MINE! you hear!"

Mutley: "eechk eechk eechk"

etc etc

8 minutes ago, chodweaver said:

I am at once relieved and disappointed!

Relieved, because i thought you had made a device based on a house alarm that somehow could decode radios, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how you'd done it...

And disappointed, because i imagined that you HAD made such a device, created in a sort of Brainiac/Dick Dastardly mash-up universe...

Dick Dastardly: "Mutley! You unscrupulous hound, now that i have created the RaceWinningDecode-o-matic, all that you need to do is pull that lever and stereo sounds will be mine, MINE! you hear!"

Mutley: "eechk eechk eechk"

etc etc

no, sadly not, they're just perfect portable 12v power supplies

however

in theory, that would be possible

No description available.

fitted a banging stereo for my tunes today!

it even works!

somewhat period correct too (well late 90s)

tbh, it's probably a better unit than the original headunit

so, you know all that aftermarket wiring i'd cut behind the radio?

yeah about that, that was really, really bloody stupid

spent an hour or so tracing....guessing and connecting it all back up

but still, we have a working stereo now!

finally making some progress with this car

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

No description available.

fitted a banging stereo for my tunes today!

it even works!

somewhat period correct too (well late 90s)

tbh, it's probably a better unit than the original headunit

so, you know all that aftermarket wiring i'd cut behind the radio?

yeah about that, that was really, really bloody stupid

spent an hour or so tracing....guessing and connecting it all back up

but still, we have a working stereo now!

finally making some progress with this car

Glad you did buy that in the end. I really rate those wee units, I don't know if yours is CD changer capable though, either way, bloody cool stereos. :)

3 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

it's the law!

Agreed. Maxxo and I have similar stereos in our car now... seen at the back of this image. :)

20220221_124453.thumb.jpg.4b906dca67fd020ee8159b6e5011b1f0.jpg

Only difference is that mine is CD changer capable. There's probably other differences though. Oh, and I did eventually turn the D-Bass up. :D

Right I can do a proper comparison of the xm vs c5

Xm floats more, and I dare say is softer and doesn't get caught out on sharp bumps as easily 

However, it's too soft due to the wrong spheres and can bottom out on some undulations 

C5 whilst being very slightly firmer is more composed and stable

The issue with the XM, if you brake any harder than normal the nose goes right down which is quite uncomfortable actually 

C5 is lighter to drive

XM has more comfortable seats

C5 is much more refined and quieter 

Now the engine side of things 

I like the classic turbo diesel shove of the 2.1 in the XM, its excellent and sounds great......

But the low down torque of the HDi gives it the edge.....and quite frankly the HDi is one of the best diesel engines of all times

Gearbox

The AL4 in the C5 is much more intelligent and predictable, not the smoothest but we're not counting that due to the milage......

The 4hp18 in the XM is smooth, however a little too willing to kick down, it also loses points for no second gear lockup, making town driving inefficient 

C5 is better built, plastics feel more solid and has better corrosion resistance 

The C5 is a better car, its smooth, well equipped, reliable and comfortable 

XM has more character and its excellent in its own way

Now, you have to remember the C5 is 10 years newer and of the next generation than the XM so of course its going to be better

For a daily driver, C5 hands down.....to the point where I'd say its perhaps one of the best cars from the early 2000s

For a toy/second car the XM is superb, well equipped enough to make you satisfied, performs well and it's a great car

I love the effortless cruising of the C5, its definitely staying as my main car, the XM is nice to use occasionally and always puts a smile on my face

Conclusion

C5 is a better car, but, I absolutely love them both and wouldn't change them for the world

22 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Agreed. Maxxo and I have similar stereos in our car now... seen at the back of this image. :)

20220221_124453.thumb.jpg.4b906dca67fd020ee8159b6e5011b1f0.jpg

Only difference is that mine is CD changer capable. There's probably other differences though. Oh, and I did eventually turn the D-Bass up. :D

That D-Bass knob brings back memories.

I grew up listening my choons from one of these in our Aldi 

autoradio_cdx_2500r_1999389.jpg.0703340d5b24961ffddb67f405e8ac56.jpg

40 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

'coz Citroen, innit?

Honestly I don't know why either. Hope you get it sorted tho!

well the straw has really loaded the camels back

quite simply, if it's bust a line or had some other horrendously expensive repair i'm done with it

i hope that's understandable but i can't keep throwing money at it

likely it's just a weird thing it's done but i'm not expecitng it to be