I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

8 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

Fingers crossed!

say what you want about modernish car radios

coding them to the car with Lexia etc is so much more enjoyable than waiting hours upon hours to enter the wrong code

5 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I wonder how many Citroen XM radio thefts were actually prevented by this system lol, well any radio for that matter I suppose

i mean maybe in the 90s it could have got stolen

however, i feel these days it's rather unlikely to be stolen

same with the locking wheel nuts.....can't see these alloys being taken

5 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I guess so! Shame there's no way of bypassing it after you've cracked it to save future hassle

Is it one where the time gap eventually increases exponentially, e.g 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 hours etc?

according to the manual the maximum is 2 hours, i do hope so too

a picasso radio won't work either.....yes i was going to try that

sick of driving round in silence hearing concerning noises!

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

You have the patience of a saint, if the next plausible code doesn't work I'd just acquire any old period correct head unit and lob it in :)

Would you consider going aftermarket? I may have something late 90s and cassette based... :)

You'll probably have a set number of retries before it bricks itself. Back when headunits were exciting and desireable things, this was great at frustrating the thief trying to shove it in his Nova Merit, as well as the rightful owner who's lost the keycard that was inset in the manual.

Just now, maxxo said:

that's what i'm going to do, i can't see an early 90s aftermarket head unit being worth much either

It isn't anymore. If you decide to replace I highly recommend getting one with auto frequency and RDS, so it tells you what station it's on as well as retuning while you're travelling.

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

You'll probably have a set number of retries before it bricks itself. Back when headunits were exciting and desireable things, this was great at frustrating the thief trying to shove it in his Nova Merit, as well as the rightful owner who's lost the keycard that was inset in the manual.

oh nice!

i just had to have the headunit that has an awkward to find code

5 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

It isn't anymore. If you decide to replace I highly recommend getting one with auto frequency and RDS, so it tells you what station it's on as well as retuning while you're travelling.

that may be a good idea tbh

Just now, maxxo said:

that may be a good idea tbh

I found this was rather useful when I was travelling across thr country to college- manually re-tuning wasn't fun and was near-constant on some stretches of the A303.

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I found this was rather useful when I was travelling across thr country to college- manually re-tuning wasn't fun and was near-constant on some stretches of the A303.

i'll mostly be listening to casettes i'd presume

5 minutes ago, maxxo said:

yes if this doesn't work

what is it you have?

Bottom one in this photograph, a Sony with RDS, logic controls, autoreverse etc. Also has a 10 CD changer and audio control stalk but those are still very much attached to the Fabia atm. Not quite able to get rid of it yet though, I'll be in touch should it be ready to go offski. :)

20220527_124309.thumb.jpg.fef02d0574639ba33412b54b553e68ed.jpg

Alternatively, the Alpine in the centre may be going sooner, has iPod shite too.

5 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Bottom one in this photograph, a Sony with RDS, logic controls, autoreverse etc. Also has a 10 CD changer and audio control stalk but those are still very much attached to the Fabia atm. Not quite able to get rid of it yet though, I'll be in touch should it be ready to go offski. :)

Alternatively, the Alpine in the centre may be going sooner, has iPod shite too.

Yes if i have no luck the Sony could be a good shout, i'm extremely tempted now to go down the aftermarket route

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I've heard of troublesome cabin filters being hidden/stashed in the bottom of a mechanic's tool box, but AnnoyingPentium's cupboard of shite is a new one on me! :)

Just now, maxxo said:

i see, been doing some nosying and they do seem quite cheap

They vary between awfy expensive and awfy cheap. You can usually gauge how much of a "OMGRETROVINTAGE" wanker the seller is by the price. 😂

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

I've heard of troublesome cabin filters being hidden/stashed in the bottom of a mechanic's tool box, but AnnoyingPentium's cupboard of shite is a new one on me! :)

I kept all the servicing stuff in that section of the wardrobe but I've used it all up besides the cabin filter which I'll do when I can be arsed. 😂