I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

or maybe not

i dunno

an XM just has something about it, that makes it wonderful

i just like it, but yet i want to try other stuff too

decisions decisions

XM rather than a Renault - much more fun  - had a Safrane after a BX, bad thing to do, BX was way more weird fun..... XM I always fancied but Mrs Welded has me confined to solitary (i.e. one car at a time  💩) but then, if you fancy a change then why not go all Reanaulty ? BIG Safrane (not the pussy 2.0 litre I had). Mind you BIG - C6 , go on - lovely, big, barge of a car and we get vicarious ownership too

(on the XM - if the suspension is staying up still after levering it have a look and see if the actual mechanical linkage isn't just smeggy with old goo or somthing - had two BX's than demonstrated the same behaviour - quick squirt, polish. grease - job done)

been bodging the fuel pump recently, JB weld seems to have drastically reduced the leak which is a bonus

tbh, it's been a good car lately, no real issues and i've done a fair few miles in it

still undecided as to what to do with this car, i like it, but then again i also want to try something else

On 9/15/2022 at 10:58 PM, AnnoyingPentium said:

At least you can attach a keyring to that. 

You can't. The hole is at the front end that goes in the slot. Our Espace was the same. 

Utterly pointless. You have a bunch of keys for your home, and this is completely incompatible. Plus it breaks if you put it in your back pocket and bend over. 

Just now, grogee said:

You can't. The hole is at the front end that goes in the slot. Our Espace was the same. 

Utterly pointless. You have a bunch of keys for your home, and this is completely incompatible. Plus it breaks if you put it in your back pocket and bend over. 

There's always a way.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, maxxo said:

been bodging the fuel pump recently, JB weld seems to have drastically reduced the leak which is a bonus

tbh, it's been a good car lately, no real issues and i've done a fair few miles in it

still undecided as to what to do with this car, i like it, but then again i also want to try something else

Auto Diesel in Newcastle rebuilt the leaky fuel pump on my XUD 205 for a fair price, think it was 100 quid and had it done in an hour.  Not sure I see the point in replacing this with the blue XM though?

1 hour ago, jmsguzzi said:

Auto Diesel in Newcastle rebuilt the leaky fuel pump on my XUD 205 for a fair price, think it was 100 quid and had it done in an hour.  Not sure I see the point in replacing this with the blue XM though?

i tend to agree tbh, there doesn't seem any point seeing as it's absolutely identical

i've made a decision

in the next month or so this will be properly for sale

i've decided to replace it with a modern* reliable***** daily

on something like an 07, 09 etc plate

i know exactly what it will be, but it's so fantastic it's not going to be a thread in "modern shite" it's true autoshite

can you guess what i've decided to replace it with?

On 9/16/2022 at 10:24 PM, Markeh said:

The Megane II one had a hole for you to clip it onto your keys at least. But it had no hole or any form of retaining mechanism on the other end. When I had mine, I had various different sets of keys and keyrings attached. One particularly sharp trip around a roundabout caused the key to fall out of the slot and into the passenger footwell. Fortunately the car kept running!

Mate took the keys out his old one though I still managed to drive it to shops and back. Didn’t turn it off whilst shopping and amazingly nobody nicked it . The mrs old megane 2 came with two card keys. They both died though first was reinstated when we found you could wedge cutlery in the slot with it to make it start. Scrappie would of had a field day if I’d not cleaned out all the stainless before we bridged it. 

so tried to sort a few things on it today

firstly, try to see why it won't start off the key

continuity from a relay pin to the starter solenoid

there is voltage there, mind you around 0.5v then when you go to crank it drops to zero

alright, fair enough, lets see if i can sort the button so it doesn't sometimes just click when you try to start

cleaned everything up

guess what

no change, click from the solenoid that's it 50% of the time when you press it

great

indicator stalk next, spend some time replacing it for one i bought

it somehow manages to be even worse! fantastique!

belts are squealing like fuck, pump is leaking badly

it can fuck right off for today

going to take the C5 to work this evening

now i've gone to work and not in my bad sulky mood anymore

i don't think it's the ignition switch

so, the feed from the relay under the bonnet to the starter is fine, which is good

i'll have to do some more research but i have a suspicion there's no power getting to the relay

you recall all that aftermarket wiring i pulled out?

i suspect that may have actually been important

i can crack a smile!

i've only gone and fixed it!

the cause?

this

No description available.

joined them back up, now she starts correctly off the key!

how very very wonderful indeed!

i'm actually very very pleased about this, really pleased

also a package arrived in the post today

i suppose it was time to transfer the reg over online, rather easy too and costs £80

all i can say is, wow!

doesn't it look absolutely fantastic

5 hours ago, maxxo said:

i can crack a smile!

i've only gone and fixed it!

the cause?

this

joined them back up, now she starts correctly off the key!

how very very wonderful indeed!

i'm actually very very pleased about this, really pleased

also a package arrived in the post today

i suppose it was time to transfer the reg over online, rather easy too and costs £80

all i can say is, wow!

doesn't it look absolutely fantastic

Brill. I ordered very similar plates for my ZX back in MayDF7779F8-DAEF-4C44-AC20-66F586EA2A35_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.69decc862cf604b98a5c397dfe04018b.jpeg