I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

Oh yes, I’ve just had a very nice phone call from the garage

discs and pads replaced fine…..however, the callipers are leaking “like hell” apparently (explains the fluid loss I’d had)

it needs a cable from the release handle to the pedal for the parking brake, guess what?!, you can’t get them

Apparently there’s some concerning rust on well, the entire car

excellent!

what a lovely phone call

So today, I dropped the C5 off at the body shop (important in this story)

so as I was bored I decided to tidy up the wiring under the bonnet

absolutely not like I needed the car to go to work later

anyway, this is the before shot

72D3819C-2011-4D96-9807-00E4712D4E4C.thumb.jpeg.4b8fbe6aa91458df3c000d16f5377249.jpeg

firstly, let’s wire a proper feed to the fuel solenoid so I can get rid of my bodge

oh yea, looks a bit better

76BE7C33-2A0D-4C2F-9AC5-2886349F39E4.thumb.jpeg.a4795e61928261ea53b2143f1289fa41.jpeg

now, let’s remove all that crappy wiring from those horrible HIDs it had when I bought it

54A3E6BF-2823-42CB-9572-7E2B01EA73DD.thumb.jpeg.ef0c6c051ba5945bbc191cc3453775a3.jpeg

what a weird looking thing this is

anyway it looks a bit better!

A409439C-838C-44D0-9507-53ACCDB555DC.thumb.jpeg.480d68829ebf152e7179fd0f39ad9e6e.jpeg

put everything back together and now time to make sure it all still works

flicked the ignition on, yep all lights work, wonderful!

maybe I should start it and test that I thought

Bloody buggery!

I then spent the next 4 hours messing about trying to get it to start to no avail

fuck

ive had to take a cable to work with me, to short the starter to the battery in order to allow it to function as a car

now, why didn’t I do this a few days ago, when the C5 was here?

or wait until I got it back?

no, I did not, I’m a genius 

Oh it’s proving to be a proper brat today

central locking keeps bouncing and going nuts while you’re driving

its actually pissed me off, a car, actually pissing me off!

im honestly contemplating selling it, just another huge vastly expensive mountain approaching 

If you haven’t disturbed something in your electrical adventures the it may be worth considering the ignition switch. The switches can get a bit iffy on these and there is a nice how-to on Club XM about adding a relay in to the starter circuit to relieve the current flowing through the switch.  It’s a pretty easy addition. 

2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

If you haven’t disturbed something in your electrical adventures the it may be worth considering the ignition switch. The switches can get a bit iffy on these and there is a nice how-to on Club XM about adding a relay in to the starter circuit to relieve the current flowing through the switch.  It’s a pretty easy addition. 

i have absolutely disturbed something

but, i've done a fix

ran a new feed to the starter solenoid and then fitted a switch on the dash to action the starter motor

works quite well!

I’ve decided im just going to take it to the Citroen car club rally down south on Saturday, cos sod it, it’ll be exciting

but im going to try and fix the central locking first 

I won’t get the chance until friday

So yes, I’ll be taking my XMs electrics apart the day before a mega long road trip!

I love that

This is the starter relay How To I was talking about:

https://club-xm.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3623

Also, a quick way to maybe diagnose which door lock is causing the central locking problems:

https://club-xm.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9973&p=118865&hilit=Bouncing#p118874

On 9/7/2022 at 11:53 AM, jamescarruthers said:

This is the starter relay How To I was talking about:

https://club-xm.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3623

Also, a quick way to maybe diagnose which door lock is causing the central locking problems:

https://club-xm.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9973&p=118865&hilit=Bouncing#p118874

thank you! it is very much appreciated

2 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Make sure you pop an ad up if you do decide to sell I need to work on the reasons I can’t have this for a while…

oh it's a decent car honestly, fuel pump rebuild, sort the wiring and central locking it'll be great

had a new belt etc, does need the tension adjusting on the aux belts

rust isn't that bad, solid enough in all the places that are important

i need a few days to properly think on it

The emotional rollercoaster continues 

because of course it does

spent a good chunk of the afternoon on the central locking…..I thought I cracked it!

walked past the car a few hours later to hear it going nuts again……removed the fuse and back to the drawing board again

door card is on the back seat at the minute, it’s a right mess

Took some time to nosy at the fuel leak

This is a poor video but it seems to be coming from where the two pieces of the pump join together 

cos of course it is!

im sure that’ll be a right “fuck on” to sort out

going to take the top off and have a look, of course, no doubt breaking it completely