I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

Just now, beko1987 said:

C5 😂

A good run might do it good... 

going to have to be the XM

getting spheres fitted to it on the 14th in Mancgester area so would make the most sense to go in that

or take the XM back home and then head back down the next day in the C5

either this car is staggeringly good on fuel or it's lying to me
the fuel guage has been slightly above half a tank now for a suspicious amount of time.....
They're quite capable of being staggeringly good on fuel. I think i shit out at 750 miles from a tank, and put some more in, rather than run out. But also iirc, either DW or beko got a thousand mile range out of theirs. I don't even know if that's possible.

12 minutes ago, chodweaver said:
On 6/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, maxxo said:
the fuel guage has been slightly above half a tank now for a suspicious amount of time.....

They're quite capable of being staggeringly good on fuel. I think i shit out at 750 miles from a tank, and put some more in, rather than run out. But also iirc, either DW or beko got a thousand mile range out of theirs. I don't even know if that's possible.

it's horrifically expensive to fill up, my first fill from near empty was £145!

but i can live with the economy, will be interesting to see how it does on the shitefest trip

1 hour ago, chodweaver said:
On 23/06/2022 at 10:52, maxxo said:

I got nowhere near that sadly. 400ish rings a bell for a full tank, or £40 a week as my commute was. 

I remember my dad brimming it up on the m6 southbound services somewhere and it was over £100 even back then 😢

Got close in the silver laguna going to shitefest Scotland, and the Xsara can do Thame-York-Spalding-thame on 3/4 a tank if I hypermile it. 

@Six-cylindera seemed quite good on fuel though. We drove it to get the Xsara and it did seem to not use alot. I remember thinking that driving it back, and wondering if mine was more broken than it seemed. The lcd said 28mpg on average iirc

Still miss it 😢 I'd love a sheddy but solid 2.1 manual but sadly those don't exist in my budget anymore 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

I got nowhere near that sadly. 400ish rings a bell for a full tank, or £40 a week as my commute was. 

I remember my dad brimming it up on the m6 southbound services somewhere and it was over £100 even back then 😢

Got close in the silver laguna going to shitefest Scotland, and the Xsara can do Thame-York-Spalding-thame on 3/4 a tank if I hypermile it. 

@Six-cylindera seemed quite good on fuel though. We drove it to get the Xsara and it did seem to not use alot. I remember thinking that driving it back, and wondering if mine was more broken than it seemed. The lcd said 28mpg on average iirc

Still miss it 😢 I'd love a sheddy but solid 2.1 manual but sadly those don't exist in my budget anymore 

i'm estimating i'm getting around 600 miles out of a tank

the guage seems accurate

my old picasso could do 700 out of a tank, that was mega economonical!

C5 can get 550-600 depending how it's driven, usually around 550 till the light comes on

My commute is up and down hills which doesn't help, the autobox was constantly shifting. 

Used to just hit the m40 and sit at 55 which was boring as fuck and from where we were living at the time the wrong route to go (longer) 

The 1.4 zx was the best at it. B Road blaster! Xsara gets away with it now as its c10 miles of a and b roads, then 14 miles of m40. I get more trips for the money for sure but its not significantly more. I'd say going back and forth to the FoD it's as economical. 

Nowadays with my milage I could afford it tbh 😂 Must have barely driven 700 miles in the thing this year, shitefest will be the longest run it's had since I last went to my dad's... And I can't remember when that was

14 hours ago, maxxo said:

i'm estimating i'm getting around 600 miles out of a tank

That's about what I was getting round the houses from my 2.5TD with the manual box - maybe a bit more on a long run down to Dublin.

I think I only ever brimmed it once though! Over £80, and that was in 2010 money...

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

That's about what I was getting round the houses from my 2.5TD with the manual box - maybe a bit more on a long run down to Dublin.

I think I only ever brimmed it once though! Over £80, and that was in 2010 money...

Going to brim it when I finish work today

from just over 1/4

thatll be cheap!

decided to take a look at the timing belt today

well, as much as i could due to the stupid design where you can't take the cover off due to an engine mount in the way

anyway

opinions on this belt?

got me perplexed, it's still rubbery etc and can't see cracks but you can see the teeth on the other side.....dare i chance it a bit more? or get it done?

No description available.

36 minutes ago, maxxo said:

ordered a belt kit with water pump etc

£106 for the kit

not a cheap kit, but it'll likely be a damn side better

might see if i can find a decent mobile mechanic to fit it for me, likely won't be too expensive

From what I remember there is lots of talk about replacing a Woodruff key on one of the pulleys but was advised that is sort of old information due to them fitting a weak one early in production. So the Haynes manual, for example, insists that this is replaced but it really only needs done once and likely already done. 

Good luck with the work. Great progress on the lovely XM!

Doesn't sound too bad tbh. 

Fitting it yourself won't be hard, although I've done 2 now so they don't scare me quite as much. I find the hardest part of the job is stripping it all down, as that's where something is more likely to go wrong. 

Find a decent how to guide and study it first. It's just like putting a new belt on a Hoover... 😂

I think there was a service bulletin for the woodroof keys on some early ones . The Haynes says vehicles built before build code 6176 need a replacement key.  I remember it was pretty confusing when I did mine as to which key to use but it turned out mine was post 6176 , but I replaced the key anyway

The issue on the pre 6176 I believe was not that you need a new like for like key but that you need an updated design key

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

I think there was a service bulletin for the woodroof keys on some early ones . The Haynes says vehicles built before build code 6176 need a replacement key.  I remember it was pretty confusing when I did mine as to which key to use but it turned out mine was post 6176 , but I replaced the key anyway

The issue on the pre 6176 I believe was not that you need a new like for like key but that you need an updated design key

Good to know. ORGA code 6176 equates to 6 October 1993

http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/gen/Gen_Organr.html

1 minute ago, jamescarruthers said:

Exactly, so ignore this if you see it written as a thing you must absolutely change. 

i'm trying to find a mobile mechanic to fit the kit for me

i know nothing about timing belts and afraid to mess it up, it would likely make more sense to pay a man, say £200 to fit it for me

the man hasn't got back in touch with me regarding doing the belt, he's obviously researched it and decided he doesn't want to

oh well, i'll keep bothering mobile mechanics until i find a victim mechanic who wants to do it

oh, it's also started running quite crap when in drive, at complete random of course, pop it into neutral/park and it runs fine

great

the man just messaged me asking if monday is alright and he doesn't seem phased by it being an absolute bastard car

well, good on him

there is nothing i hate more than working under the bonnet on this car, it's horrendous, seriously it's almost as if they design it to be that bad

and you know what

that's why i love them