I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I found them lacking at night on very rural roads. When I bought the zx td after no longer being to able to afford the petrol in the XM (and this was 2010ish 😅) the headlights in that were AMAZING! 

It's all relative though. Driving back from a gig in dad's car the other week at 11.40pm and dad asked if I've got the headlights on, he thinks their quite dim. He laughed when I said dim? I've been randomly flashing people as I glance up and think the full beams are on 😅 Super bright 2021 led bollocks all over it, when we hit the very rural roads by my house I have to turn back to dipped or every road sign just reflects like crazy! 

I think it was the XM where I drove to work with the full beams on by accident once an no one flashed me back 😅 Contrary to the xantia, which was annoying when the rear corrector seized, would lower the car down too much and I'd blind every oncoming car, got hooted at and all sorts. A quick pull of the lever whilst moving until the car started to rise then straight back to the normal position sorted it usually. Until it didn't, then I had to look at it... 

my old Picasso has some quite abysmal headlights, very dim……dimmer than other Picasso’s I’ve seen and driven since so mine was probably broken 

C5 lights are excellent, bright, good spread of light and the auto lights actually work very well

not driven the XM on rural roads at night yet, that’s when I’ll find out the lights are crap, then they’ll probably catch fire

in other news, the second cooling fan has started working today! So both cooking fans now work which is excellent 

You get used to it though I guess. The headlights in the Xsara are shit but I've still not done a thing about it. Can see well enough, rarely drive at night anyway. The next time I'll remember will be driving at night somewhere I'm sure 😅

45 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

You get used to it though I guess. The headlights in the Xsara are shit but I've still not done a thing about it. Can see well enough, rarely drive at night anyway. The next time I'll remember will be driving at night somewhere I'm sure 😅

should get yourself a xsara picasso!

headlights are easier to change on those and i know you love them

that turned into a tinkering session

so spare wheel, didn't look good at first!

No description available.

yeah, siezed, of course, i mean look at it

so, i decided to twat it with a hammer (missed once and put a mark on the boot floor)

then some mole grips

and?

success!

yes those are electrics for an old towbar, interesting mounting technique

so, tyre wiese, as you can tell by the tread pattern.....it's a Michelin MXL

cleaned it up a bit and tbh, it looks alright, bit of cracking but nothing major.....still has some air in it but it will need a top up

oh yeah! it has the original jack too, and spare wheel bolts i presume from when locking nuts were fitted

it actually looks very much of alright under there too

exhaust looks pretty much brand new too

bit of crispiness on the wheel carrier but otherwise it's fine

now onto the next job

as you know i replaced the fuel filter the other day and i buggered it up of course

cos it now cranks for 5-10 seconds before coughing into life depending on how long it's been sat

so the copper washers arrived today, didn't actually get round to fitting them as i noticed i could move the output pipe slightly when pressure was applied by my hand, so i decided to take a look at it all for tightness

yep, managed half a turn on it, now it's extremely tight

yes i will replace the seals, but i want to see how i get on with this first

sooooo

next job

you may recall someone had put some horrible tweeters on the dash

image.thumb.png.9a1a3a054315b1fc54dda359ddf3ea9a.png

these things

yeah

they're no more

whoever fitted them decided it was a great idea just to screw them directly into the dashboard......nice!

yes there are holes, but the dash is very soft there and i have a few ideas on how to sort them

but my god does it look a lot better!

next on the list was this

it had a pair of usb sockets on the end, god knows what it was for......power? unregulated 12+v, exactly what you want going into your expensive fancy smartphone!

looked fucking awful, excuse the language but it did

supplied from in here, simple enough, just cut it

so i did

ahhhhh yes removal

i don't think it looks too bad in here now, yes it still need a bit of a proper deep clean but it's in pretty good nick really

so yes, a bit of tinkering today

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Removing those bolts will probably stop some annoying rattles! 

I should remove them 

I’ve got to take the wheel off tomorrow to try and fix a horrible rattle when not braking 

6 minutes ago, maxxo said:

don't think i need one

i'm quite staggered at how easy this came down

They're a lot better than what's on the BX IMO. I still don't understand why PSA thought a pice of threaded stamped steel would work find underneath a car. Is the actual hook on yours made of cast iron perchance?

8 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

They're a lot better than what's on the BX IMO. I still don't understand why PSA thought a pice of threaded stamped steel would work find underneath a car. Is the actual hook on yours made of cast iron perchance?

it has 2 actually

the main threaded bolt and they a spring loaded catch for say a second position (that is a bit siezed)

my old picasso had an underslung spare

that was a bastard, single bolt, no secondary safety catch

i took it down one day to treat the never ending rot above the wheel

the very next day it was siezed solid

17 hours ago, maxxo said:

it has 2 actually

the main threaded bolt and they a spring loaded catch for say a second position (that is a bit siezed)

my old picasso had an underslung spare

that was a bastard, single bolt, no secondary safety catch

i took it down one day to treat the never ending rot above the wheel

the very next day it was siezed solid

French. Mrs Grogee's Espace had this elaborate mechanism that manually winched the spare down to the ground via a cable. 

Of course it was seized. 

On 6/16/2022 at 3:57 PM, grogee said:

French. Mrs Grogee's Espace had this elaborate mechanism that manually winched the spare down to the ground via a cable. 

Of course it was seized. 

but of course, it's french

they absolutely love to develop an elaborate and extremely complex solution to something very simple

2 hours ago, egg said:

@J W Pepperyep one of my faves, the damaged door came from an attempted break-in I believe, gits.

indeed, it's quite a shame.....badly creased and a dent from what looks like a knee

makes you wonder why they didn't just break the window.....would have been much less damaging

fixed something

so i presumed the remote central locking was completely dead

was considering an aftermarket kit, but i was convinced it would never work again

messing about today with the key i happened to take a look at the batteries and yep there were old

so i popped out to the shops and i bought a pack

put them in

ahhhhh my plip works! i can lock and unlock my luxurious executive car remotely

2 hours ago, maxxo said:

fixed something

so i presumed the remote central locking was completely dead

was considering an aftermarket kit, but i was convinced it would never work again

messing about today with the key i happened to take a look at the batteries and yep there were old

so i popped out to the shops and i bought a pack

put them in

ahhhhh my plip works! i can lock and unlock my luxurious executive car remotely

I had the same when I bought the last cx in 2001. Owner said central locking plip didn’t work. Three cell batteries later it lasted until I sold it in 2006.

This thread has gone far too fast for me to be able to follow it. 😄

I was at something like page 3, then it had suddenly jumped to 6, so I thought I'll catch up and read it later but by the time I did that it was at 11....

I need to put some time aside to read it properly. 

6 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

This thread has gone far too fast for me to be able to follow it. 😄

I was at something like page 3, then it had suddenly jumped to 6, so I thought I'll catch up and read it later but by the time I did that it was at 11....

I need to put some time aside to read it properly. 

i'd thought this would take 6 maybe 7 months

it took 4 weeks to get it on the road!

11 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I had the same when I bought the last cx in 2001. Owner said central locking plip didn’t work. Three cell batteries later it lasted until I sold it in 2006.

it'll certainly be a nice thing to have