I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

29 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I reckon there'll be a SM with your name on it, in a few years time. When your pockets are deeper!

Worth too much money for me tbh

if I was going to spend 30k plus on a car I’d feel more tempted to get a brand new daily……likely the better spend of money 

6 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Diesels are finicky buggers about fuel system sealing, just a wee bit of air getting in puts them to pot. 

Check and replace all the rubber lines too if necessary too. 

would make sense for it to be that, shouldn't be hard to sort either

it will start just cranks longer than expected

55 minutes ago, maxxo said:

upon arriving at work this morning

BANG

front end slamming into the bump stops when i opened the door

excellent

so that's a thing now

fantastic, i'm sure it's something very simple and easy to fix

At least it’s consistent. I’d check the wiring loom to the door.

i think that's the cause, if i open the door straight after turning off as normal it's fine

if say i'm messing with my phone then open the door it drops at the front

never does it if parked for a short period and i come back before sinkage has occured

i got papped again yesterday on the "cars you don't see anymore" facebook page, twice in as many days

used it a fair bit lately and just shockingly it's actually proving to be reliable! i mean, i'm sure that will change shortly but it's nice

took some photos this evening

showing off my "complex surface" headlamps

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be an image of car, road and text that says "J2CXM"

had someone come up to me and say how lovely it was, firslty he thought it was a xantia but was saying how good it is people are saving them

everyone seems to love it

i'm quite surprised at the attention it gets

7 hours ago, maxxo said:

Regarding XM headlights 

what are people on about when they say they’re crap? I was expecting them to be abysmal 

I put new bulbs in them and they’re perfectly adequate, certainly not abysmal 

You are right in that they are perfectly adequate when all is good. You must be lucky with your replacement set with good bulbs, no voltage drops (more of a problem on early cars) and decent reflectors. 

Actually , in XM world, you are probably pretty lucky in most respects! 

54 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

You are right in that they are perfectly adequate when all is good. You must be lucky with your replacement set with good bulbs, no voltage drops (more of a problem on early cars) and decent reflectors. 

Actually , in XM world, you are probably pretty lucky in most respects! 

Yes from some of the stories I’ve heard, I think I’ve got pretty lucky with this one

apart from the way it likes to catch fire, I think it’s pretty reliable

I found them lacking at night on very rural roads. When I bought the zx td after no longer being to able to afford the petrol in the XM (and this was 2010ish 😅) the headlights in that were AMAZING! 

It's all relative though. Driving back from a gig in dad's car the other week at 11.40pm and dad asked if I've got the headlights on, he thinks their quite dim. He laughed when I said dim? I've been randomly flashing people as I glance up and think the full beams are on 😅 Super bright 2021 led bollocks all over it, when we hit the very rural roads by my house I have to turn back to dipped or every road sign just reflects like crazy! 

I think it was the XM where I drove to work with the full beams on by accident once an no one flashed me back 😅 Contrary to the xantia, which was annoying when the rear corrector seized, would lower the car down too much and I'd blind every oncoming car, got hooted at and all sorts. A quick pull of the lever whilst moving until the car started to rise then straight back to the normal position sorted it usually. Until it didn't, then I had to look at it...