I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

6 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

If you're not bonding with it then make it as nice as it needs to be to sell it for a decent (but realistic) price that won't completely break you, that's my advice :)

£2,000 would be fair i'd say

it would be up to my usual standards.....very nice, miles are high but XM's aren't cheap these days so i'd say that would be realistic

i will be keeping it for the summer, maybe look to sell in around late august

i'm going to do some good tinkering tomorrow and see how much i can improve it

Great to see the MOT pass and congratulations on getting it back on the road!

Why not try it out for the summer and bring it to a few Citroen shows, also come to the FoD! if you haven't bonded with it by the early Autumn, then it will have been 'out and about' and both it and you will have become more visible in the XM enthusiasts' circles and will be more of a 'known quantity' should you then want to sell it.

It is a lovely colour, by the way.

53 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I've got an issue

I don't like it as much as I expected I would, its a nice car etc but I dunno something just feels a bit off with it

Not bonding with it either unfortunately 

Do I make it nice and keep it, or do I make it nice and sell?

I am curious what about it does not gel with you so to speak?

I found my time in a Citroen XM (mainly as a passenger mind) most agreeable :)

so maybe if you can pin point whats off about yours some of the Citroen experts here might be able to chime in and say if thats actually an issue or such that just needs fettling out :) 

16 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Great to see the MOT pass and congratulations on getting it back on the road!

Why not try it out for the summer and bring it to a few Citroen shows, also come to the FoD! if you haven't bonded with it by the early Autumn, then it will have been 'out and about' and both it and you will have become more visible in the XM enthusiasts' circles and will be more of a 'known quantity' should you then want to sell it.

It is a lovely colour, by the way.

i shall be bringing it to shows and so on

as i say, going to get it nice and then see how i feel

14 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I am curious what about it does not gel with you so to speak?

I found my time in a Citroen XM (mainly as a passenger mind) most agreeable :)

so maybe if you can pin point whats off about yours some of the Citroen experts here might be able to chime in and say if thats actually an issue or such that just needs fettling out :) 

i think part of the issue is i've spent far too much money on it

also just trying to see what's wrong with it, the list is ever growing!

36 minutes ago, maxxo said:

i think part of the issue is i've spent far too much money on it

also just trying to see what's wrong with it, the list is ever growing!

Think of it as owning a bigger, more comfortable RCZ 🤣

Really pleased for you that you’ve got it back on the road. Even if you move it on the MOT secures its future a lot anyway! Well done!

I wonder if you need to drive one on the correct spheres to know if you love it or not? Rather than continue spending money to return to the correct spec. and still be mildly disappointed. 

2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Really pleased for you that you’ve got it back on the road. Even if you move it on the MOT secures its future a lot anyway! Well done!

I wonder if you need to drive one on the correct spheres to know if you love it or not? Rather than continue spending money to return to the correct spec. and still be mildly disappointed. 

you know i'm very tempted to do that, now i love a floaty car but this is a bit too floaty to the point it almost feels unstable during harsh cornering (yes i've already hooned it to test the sport mode)

currently using it for my commute, as it's now 2 miles away and don't want to use the C5 for that

handling it well

must have done 200 or so miles in it today

firstly recreated the 1990s this morning

May be an image of car and outdoors

stereo is code locked, needs 2 hours to reset so going to jerry rig it up to an old alarm panel and let it run for 2 hours and see if i can unlock it

otherwise it's going rather well, now, i do have what sounds like a rattling brake pad....going to pop back to the garage in the morning and make them aware

just needs a bloody good cleaning!

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

must have done 200 or so miles in it today

firstly recreated the 1990s this morning

May be an image of car and outdoors

stereo is code locked, needs 2 hours to reset so going to jerry rig it up to an old alarm panel and let it run for 2 hours and see if i can unlock it

otherwise it's going rather well, now, i do have what sounds like a rattling brake pad....going to pop back to the garage in the morning and make them aware

just needs a bloody good cleaning!

Which radio do you have? The very first XM radios can be de-coded just by physically looking at some diodes. Later ones, I’m not sure if it is as simple as buying a code based from the serial number. 

image.thumb.png.8b551433ec919dfbbca334e0873db72d.png

found an alarm power supply i'd removed from someones house, i think when i upgraded their alarm

anyway

it works and is powering the radio

now the question is, 1145 ot 4641 as the code......

concerning

6 minutes ago, maxxo said:

image.thumb.png.8b551433ec919dfbbca334e0873db72d.png

found an alarm power supply i'd removed from someones house, i think when i upgraded their alarm

anyway

it works and is powering the radio

now the question is, 1145 ot 4641 as the code......

concerning

Is it a Blaupunkt radio perchance? If all else fails you can pay A Man Online to decipher the code from the serial numer on the back.

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

i've tried all the dodgy websites i can think of

all come back with the same

no codes available

That doesn't sound right to me. Out of curiosity, what does the back of the headunit look like?

28 minutes ago, maxxo said:

it's a Clarion as far as i'm aware

There is a black and a grey Clarion. It is the earlier grey one that can definitely be decoded by the diodes. I see from your picture that you have the black one. Maybe I’m wrong as it seems that you can maybe decode the black one according to this: http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9416&p=113653&hilit=Clarion#p113653

Here is the service manual for it anyway: http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7646&hilit=radio

31 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

That doesn't sound right to me. Out of curiosity, what does the back of the headunit look like?

i don't actually have a photo, it's on the power supply downstairs so when i go down in an hour or so to check on it i shall get a photo