I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

good thinking about the feed to the solenoid, it's something i'll have to sort once the car is on the road etc

it also seems to have started leaking LHM from the strut return pipe i replaced recently

that can sod off

the garage can do that, i hate doing those

May be an image of car and outdoors

put half a tank of diesel in it, topped up the tyres and drove it 3-4 miles to the test centre

brakes felt utterly awful at first

now they feel an awful lot better

made it with no issues

gearbox is lovely and smooth

seems to be running much better on fresh diesel too

i quite like the way it drives, in fact, i really like the way it drives

3 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

good luck

Changing the fluid, cleaning filters and bleeding brakes will make a huge difference if you haven't done that yet

Ran out of time to bleed the brakes 

They felt crap at the start of the journey, then really came to life after a mile of so, felt so much better 

2 minutes ago, Poweredbyhopealone said:

Good luck! An XM is very high on my fantasy garage list and this one is a corker, your updates and dedication are great to read in my breaks from revision so thank you for being so entertaining.

I'd fancied one for a very long time

I put a post up on the XM Facebook group, asking if anyone was selling one.....this one came up

I didn't even mean to buy it

It just happened 

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

I'd fancied one for a very long time

I put a post up on the XM Facebook group, asking if anyone was selling one.....this one came up

I didn't even mean to buy it

It just happened 

Someday I shall have the disposable funds to do such a thing. Though probably not before diesel engined cars become for display purposes only

11 minutes ago, Poweredbyhopealone said:

Someday I shall have the disposable funds to do such a thing. Though probably not before diesel engined cars become for display purposes only

only recently i've had the disposable funds to do this stupidity, all thanks to sainsbury's for employing me to drive a van with carrots on the side

but i agree

enjoy them while you can before we're all in Tesla's

actually i wouldn't mind a Tesla, i've driven one, they're very good

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

only recently i've had the disposable funds to do this stupidity, all thanks to sainsbury's for employing me to drive a van with carrots on the side

but i agree

enjoy them while you can before we're all in Tesla's

actually i wouldn't mind a Tesla, i've driven one, they're very good

They are indeed, shame about the company owner of course. Also the one I drove had been delivered the previous day and all the chrome trim around the windows was coming off.

BUT ANYWAY thanks sainsbury's. You inadvertantly benefitted me by proxy

6 minutes ago, Poweredbyhopealone said:

They are indeed, shame about the company owner of course. Also the one I drove had been delivered the previous day and all the chrome trim around the windows was coming off.

BUT ANYWAY thanks sainsbury's. You inadvertantly benefitted me by proxy

i would like to own a tesla one day, it's a shame the owners usually act the way they do

yes indeed, they allow silliness to happen

been contemplating replacing my C5 for a C6 lately......

5 minutes ago, maxxo said:

image.thumb.png.dbbab1c3ad93bc8b3bcf4e7bc2fe033a.png

drove past about 20 mins ago, still where i parked it so it'll likely be done this afternoon

been doing some more stalking, it really has been a local car to me for quite some time

^ Which site/app have you used to show where it was tested? I thought GDPR stopped that ages ago?

Good luck with the test.

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

Surely the headlamp issue is just because of those LED bulbs? 

And lol at the parking brake, I was joking when I said that 😂

I knew the parking brake would be a fail, it's not very good

Yep but someone's removed the original lense which is a huge pain

Just now, maxxo said:

I knew the parking brake would be a fail, it's not very good

Yep but someone's removed the original lense which is a huge pain

Ah damn that is really annoying

The ones from the phase 2 XM in the breakers a few pages back won't be any good I imagine?

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

Ah damn that is really annoying

The ones from the phase 2 XM in the breakers a few pages back won't be any good I imagine?

Likely not if citroen are anything to go by

Should be overly expensive to get everything done on it I reckon, just sourcing the headlights that's going to be a pain

Those number plates look alright to me, I think the tester is being a bit anal. I have no doubt it's been through previous MOTs wearing them. 

If the backbox is insecure then it shouldn't have failed for the reason of 'major leak' IMO

The rest of it should be sortable with a bit of light tinkering.

As you say, the biggest hassle out of that lot is probably going to be sourcing a pair of headlamps and getting them delivered in reasonable time. 

At least the washers and other electrics stayed working!

9 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Those number plates look alright to me, I think the tester is being a bit anal. I have no doubt it's been through previous MOTs wearing them. 

If the backbox is insecure then it shouldn't have failed for the reason of 'major leak' IMO

The rest of it should be sortable with a bit of light tinkering.

As you say, the biggest hassle out of that lot is probably going to be sourcing a pair of headlamps and getting them delivered in reasonable time. 

At least the washers and other electrics stayed working!

don't care about the plate, new ones are what, £20 or so

if this is going to be about a grand, then i need to have a good think about this

just waiting for them to call me now