I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

On 4/30/2022 at 5:22 PM, maxxo said:

Music collection for the XM sorted

just awaiting the stereo to arrive, see if i can get a code for it

then i can listen to my BANGIN TOOOOONS BRUUUUVVVVVV etc etc

No description available.

Good choices there. I've got that Chris De Burgh tape in my car as well, along with another one but the name escapes me.

not massively feeling it today

deicded to sort some of the wiring in the footwell

this was the mess i had to deal with, the padding from the dash trim would frequently jam the throttle down which is very exciting

spent about 2 hours faffinf around with that at a stupid angle

managed to get it looking like this

which i'd say is a significant improvement!

oh and now the alarm seems to be working again? going off a lot which is bloody annoying!

as i say, that's all i did, i planned to do more but just didn't feel like it

i need to find out how to disable the alarm, see if i can just unplug it for now

i wonder.....

i've been doing very short runs of the engine since i got the car, like 5-10 minutes at a time

i wonder if it's a low battery causing this issue? it did seem to crank a bit slower this morning

might pop over halfords at some point and get a battery charger, can get a good one for £50

5 hours ago, maxxo said:

i wonder.....

i've been doing very short runs of the engine since i got the car, like 5-10 minutes at a time

i wonder if it's a low battery causing this issue? it did seem to crank a bit slower this morning

might pop over halfords at some point and get a battery charger, can get a good one for £50

Have you tested the alternator output recently? If it's fine then the battery is probably FUBAR.

Check your voltage drop, measure voltage at the battery and then at the permanent live at the starter motor and alternator. 

If there's a difference of more than ~0.2v you've got a poor connection somewhere. If the difference is less than 0.2v then it's unlikely to make a lot of difference

If there's none or an acceptable voltage difference then it'll either be a poor battery (brand new batteries can be duff, what make is it?) or a weak starter motor

28 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Check your voltage drop, measure voltage at the battery and then at the permanent live at the starter motor and alternator. 

If there's a difference of more than ~0.2v you've got a poor connection somewhere. If the difference is less than 0.2v then it's unlikely to make a lot of difference

If there's none or an acceptable voltage difference then it'll either be a poor battery (brand new batteries can be duff, what make is it?) or a weak starter motor

i think it's more due to only running it for what, 5 minutes at a time at idle mostly

2.1 probably isn't the easiest engine to turn over

Sun's out today, it'll dry. 

My xantia had some veg juice fall over in the back of it at Crail apparently once where it did racing refueling duties. Was still a thin film of it under the carpets in my ownership but not a drop of rust anywhere in the boot floor, and it didn't smell so I just left it. Maybe pour veg oil under there to displace the water? 

i don't think this looks too terrible really....

made the interior much less of a biohazard today, got rid of most of the mould too

glovebox is held shut with velcro, seems to work quite well!

May be an image of car

i need to unsieze the washer pumps in the coming days, and i do hope that radio i've been sent arrives soon

Those intelligent chargers are ace

The dodgy chinese ones as below are my first choice, they charge at a higher voltage and current and get the job done very quickly, but the type you have bought are also excellent for anything apart from completely dead batteries

Car Battery Charger 10A 12V/24V Car Battery Charger | Car battery charger,  Car battery, Battery charger

6 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Those intelligent chargers are ace

The dodgy chinese ones as below are my first choice, they charge at a higher voltage and current and get the job done very quickly, but the type you have bought are also excellent for anything apart from completely dead batteries

Car Battery Charger 10A 12V/24V Car Battery Charger | Car battery charger,  Car battery, Battery charger

see i'd be tempted by one of those

or even an ebay intelligent charger

but as i'll be leaving it unattended on charge i decided to buy one from an acutal shop

it seems quite good quality, it was £35 which i think was quite fair really

charged it for 3 hours today, got a good amount on the digital screen apparently

Just now, maxxo said:

see i'd be tempted by one of those

or even an ebay intelligent charger

but as i'll be leaving it unattended on charge i decided to buy one from an acutal shop

it seems quite good quality, it was £35 which i think was quite fair really

charged it for 3 hours today, got a good amount on the digital screen apparently

Ah yes, important detail I should have added is I only ever use it supervised or outside!

I think thats got to be a decent price too, my other one is one of these: its decent but pretty slow. Alright for keeping a battery topped up in storage but not great if you're trying to revive a flat one

Car Battery Chargers At Halfords Best Sale, 56% OFF |  www.pegasusaerogroup.com

8 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ah yes, important detail I should have added is I only ever use it supervised or outside!

I think thats got to be a decent price too, my other one is one of these: its decent but pretty slow. Alright for keeping a battery topped up in storage but not great if you're trying to revive a flat one

i must admit, until a few weeks ago i was not a halfords fan at all

been quite helpful for this project, certainly better than euro car parts for small stuff

their own brand stuff is quite good quality i've noticed

4 minutes ago, maxxo said:

i must admit, until a few weeks ago i was not a halfords fan at all

been quite helpful for this project, certainly better than euro car parts for small stuff

their own brand stuff is quite good quality i've noticed

Their tools are ace, I'd choose Halfords any day or even Lidl parkside for some things! Better value for money than the expensive mainstream brands

They're handy for a lot of things but largely depends on what you want

10 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I have the same charger... It does the job, but is the slowest thing on earth at doing it.

Probably doesn't help that it was for up to 1800cc pez engines, from back in the day when that was in something like a Cavalier with almost zero fancy electrics and i seem to mostly need to charge batteries that would start a small dump truck.

But even on a Cinq battery, it's mega slow. Even on 'fast charge' There's a laugh!