I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

This is where this XM was sold originally in 1993

Brompton on Swale, not far from catterick/richmond

which is around 30 or so miles away from me

i frequently drive past there, and i mean a few times a week in the sainsbury's van at work

image.thumb.png.658c5c9dec70784b841a0e84c319964e.png

then it went and lived in Sowerby, near Thirsk for quite a few years, certainly according to the tax discs i have

it seems it spent around 10 years in that area

then it seemed to end up in Chester le Street, was taxed at a post office in the Pelton area

so, my next task is to find out where it lived up there, as that's also what, 25 odd miles away

FULL STALKER MODE ENGAGED!

my goal for tonight is to find out where it lived

No description available.

I had assistance today from my father

we spent about 2 hours on it......on 1 job

sorting the siezed height corrector

it was siezed above the exhaust, right on a pivot

cue lots of plus gas, hammering, all forms of lubrication

it's fixed, a clip is now weak, but still secure

but it works, and it works well! goes up n down quickly too

rather pleased with the results i must say

stuff left to do pre MOT

repair drivers seat runner

replace drivers seat recline switch

repair blower fan

replace all interior bulbs

do a quick fix to the glove box

use rust converter on the last little bits

put some more diesel in (will do that on the way to the test)

bear in mind 8 or do days ago it looked like this

May be an image of car and outdoors

i'd say it's going to be roadworthy within the next 2 weeks

With the height adjuster, now it's working do lots of citrobatics. Have it on each position and fire a squirt of plusgas at it then moar citrobatics

There's a guide by citro Jim somewhere on having the entire module out and stripped cleaned and rebuilt and it didn't look too hard. Got very close to doing it on my xantia but then @Kiltox tempted me with a high spec French frilly so plans changed.

You'd have it rebuilt like it was nothing tbh. Just have some wet and dry with you as that'll fix 80% of the issues whilst apart

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

With the height adjuster, now it's working do lots of citrobatics. Have it on each position and fire a squirt of plusgas at it then moar citrobatics

There's a guide by citro Jim somewhere on having the entire module out and stripped cleaned and rebuilt and it didn't look too hard. Got very close to doing it on my xantia but then @Kiltox tempted me with a high spec French frilly so plans changed.

You'd have it rebuilt like it was nothing tbh. Just have some wet and dry with you as that'll fix 80% of the issues whilst apart

i don't want to look at the module ever again for the rest of my life!

access was typical citroen, utterly awful

going to give it a lot of citrobatics sessions in the coming days and just making sure it's all fine

also was looking at the cambelt area today, almost bought a kit to do it myself

sod that, zero access and a sodding huge engine mount in the way

the garage can do that

On 4/30/2022 at 1:05 PM, maxxo said:

I had assistance today from my father

we spent about 2 hours on it......on 1 job

sorting the siezed height corrector

it was siezed above the exhaust, right on a pivot

cue lots of plus gas, hammering, all forms of lubrication

it's fixed, a clip is now weak, but still secure

but it works, and it works well! goes up n down quickly too

rather pleased with the results i must say

Looking much better and that certainly beats the ridiculous arch gap on my 405 Estate! As for those bumpers and trim I bought a  Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye Kit  instead of bullshit shine and it's done a great job and is showing no signs of fading whatsoever. It's not cheap but a bit goes a long way. The bumpers and trim on the Quasar were totally grey and now you'd never know. Even the applicator that comes with it is well designed for the job.

2 hours ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

Looking much better and that certainly beats the ridiculous arch gap on my 405 Estate! As for those bumpers and trim I bought a  Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye Kit  instead of bullshit shine and it's done a great job and is showing no signs of fading whatsoever. It's not cheap but a bit goes a long way. The bumpers and trim on the Quasar were totally grey and now you'd never know. Even the applicator that comes with it is well designed for the job.

when you said not cheap i was expecting £100

not £15!

shall get some of that ordered

thank you

2 minutes ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

https://www.thedarkwob.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=265&start=750

That is coming from someone who's run old snotters forever and used boot polish in the past on bumpers lol

I'd have used boot polish, or some other crappy pound shop thing

But this is an actual classic car I suppose, and its actually worth money......so I'm going to do it properly as much as possible 

I've never had a car worth money before!

You're off to a good start from what I've seen  :-) I polished up the Quasar as I'm then more likely to look after it, plus it looked a disgrace in the High Street I live on. It's also more like a 1200 quid car than the 700 I paid and if something was to happen to it it's far easier to do battle with an insurance company, I know that from experience. Hopefully people will steer clear of it a bit more when parked up as it looks cared for and not just an old shitbox, time will tell.

no tinkering to report today

however, i was in the garage anyway....looked at the XM and thought sod it

took it outside and decided to give it a little drive around the estate

first time i'd really driven it

gearbox is silky smooth, brakes feel good.....very sharp, rides well, not pulling to one side, engine pulls well etc

in fact

considering it's been off the road what, 2 years

it drives bloody well!!!

1 hour ago, DVee8 said:

thumbnail?panoid=h5NkPH98U2w5kcK3NoXR5w&cb_client=search.gws-prod.gps&w=408&h=240&yaw=100.56495&pitch=0&thumbfov=100

If it's the car i'm thinking of it lived here(ish)  you can just see the white bonnet of it's replacement.

If you want the address let me know.

Shall give you a message

3 minutes ago, Bitzer said:

Well done, continuez! I have had a weak spot for these ever since watching "Operation Corned Beef". My crystal ball tells me these will be commanding serious money in no time.

I feel the same way! I reckon as there's essentially none left they'll be 5-6k in the next few years

I think this is a good one....suppose I'll find out on the 10th

I paid £650 for my vsx petrol estate and with that price it had the interior swapped from leather to cloth. Seems like an utter bargain for an alright mot'd driving example nowadays 😂😂😢

I'd swap the Xsara for a scruffy but honest manual diesel one that doesn't need any welding in a flash though 😂

electrical tinkering today

investigating why i only have 1 interior light working

well, that'd do it

it seems to have got rather warm

and did a fire!

mmmmmmm crispy!

old owner old me about a melted cable, i didn't realise it was that close to being utterly catastrophic!

spent most of today just making it safe

i've sacked off the idea of all the interior lights working for now, i'll get it on the road first and then wire new feeds in

but it's all absolutely covered in gorilla tape so i can't see that being an issue

also found this in the rear footwell

god knows where it's supplied from

so electrically as far as i know it's safe, mind you i haven't connected the battery today yet

some more electrical tinkering is required tomorrow to sort the mess above the pedals

also

exciting news! hot wiper action yo! shiny new blades

bosch of course

someone has been fucking around quite badly with this car and i need to sort it all out

i must admit i don't quite know what to do about that

only thing not working is the blower motor and interior lights

there is a fan for the auto climate control in there, so could it be related?

not going to be an easy fix

9 hours ago, rainagain said:

What on earth was the thinking behind that? 

Who knows. Because French! They actually started this practice within the legal requirement of keeping parts supply for ten years from the last build date.