I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

On 4/22/2022 at 9:19 PM, greengartside said:

Sounds like you’ll need a source of parts…

3B0DCE9B-90EF-4699-9B24-43C02F061CE2.thumb.jpeg.5dff1c2c807ccc1be6c745046c8d48a8.jpeg

David Yarham Salvage - 01508 482612.

Don't suppose you know if this yard is one of the good old ones where you can turn up with a toolbox and get all the bits off the car, or is it all off the shelf stuff?

Blimey, just checked the reg and its still MOTd until October 😳 what a shame someone sent it to the scrap heap

been doing some light tinkering this morning

nothing major

so the drivers electric seat seems to jam in the runner on the left hand side, if i pull it whilst operating the switch i can make it move backwards and forwards....so i can actually drive it now

can't see any issues, i've lubricated the runners to see where that leads me

also lubricated the bonnet latch so the bonnet actually opens and closes correctly

now the big thing, the rust

i think i've mostly dealt with it for now

doesn't look too bad after the rust converter has dried does it?

No description available.

so now onto the other side......little bit crispier

cue some wire brushing, knocking and tapping to make sure it's still solid

and then my favourite liquid

cos i'm an idiot i forgot to take a photo but it dried as you'd expect and the metal was solid again

now, i did something that perhaps isn't the best to do on sills

i've painted both sides with underseal....on top of the rust converter

yes i know it's not the best idea

but the way i see it, it's some protection to the metal and it makes it look a hell of a lot better, and it should stop stone chips etc causing damage at the moment

the way i see it, those sills will last what a year, maybe 2 before they need work? i don't think this is much of a big deal

anyway

time to take a look at the rot underneath

this is it.......

to me, that looks like one of the bumper supports?

the bumper is still on solid so i've just painted it with rust converter and going to see how it looks

the actual boot floor is solid, and i don't think that's an MOT fail, but i must admit i'm not an MOT expert

Personally I would suggest putting some anti corrosion wax on there, it will creep into any nooks and won't trap moisture which is the risk with underseal.

Bilt hamber do some good stuff but I'm looking at using Lanoguard which is made from sheep oil (from the wool!).

Car looks fantastic, well bought.

5 minutes ago, Wgl2019 said:

Personally I would suggest putting some anti corrosion wax on there, it will creep into any nooks and won't trap moisture which is the risk with underseal.

Bilt hamber do some good stuff but I'm looking at using Lanoguard which is made from sheep oil (from the wool!).

Car looks fantastic, well bought.

Will check that out

Only did underseal as I don't plan these sills to last a few years......they won't that's obvious, so I thought, well better than nothing 

Thank you though, it's progressing shockingly fast now

20 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Don't suppose you know if this yard is one of the good old ones where you can turn up with a toolbox and get all the bits off the car, or is it all off the shelf stuff?

Blimey, just checked the reg and its still MOTd until October 😳 what a shame someone sent it to the scrap heap

It is one of the good ones where you can merrily walk around all day ☺️☺️☺️

7 minutes ago, greengartside said:

It is one of the good ones where you can merrily walk around all day ☺️☺️☺️

oh right cool.  Just need to convince the Mrs how lovely a long weekend in Norwich would be . I did manage to make our last long weekend away include a classic car auction in Runcorn but a scrap yard might be a bridge too far

Just now, beko1987 said:

Should we challenge you to have this sorted enough to bring to shitefest now we have shitefest sorted?

You never know! If it behaves then I don't see why not

I've got a road trip to do at the end of May and I'm very tempted to do it in the XM, I shouldn't and I know that I should take the C5

But I'm tempted

1 hour ago, chodweaver said:

This is almost the mantra of Club XM:

"XMs thrive on being used"

My experience has been that (almost) ALL cars thrive on being used, but what is important to stress here is that the worst thing you can do to an XM is to NOT use it.

Just saying, like

well i did do a questionably legal drive up the road today, it feels alright!

yes i plan to use it, around 6k a year or so......as i say C5 will still be the main car, as it's bloody good at it!

really looking forward to driving it for an MOT

4 hours ago, richykitchy said:

It's not silly, S1 XMs are a wonderous thing. You still need to sort the light bulbs, though 😄

the headlights will be sorted, very shortly

they're not the nicest of things!

but it's a wonderful car, that i'm growing more and more excited to drive each day

not too much to report today

been getting the residue off the dash from the tape that someone put there, i'm close and i reckon i should have it all off soon

i also washed and polished it!

shiny!

looking a thousand times beter now!

ran it up to temp again, all was fine, exhaust hanger is broken so it has an annoying rattle but otherwise it seems to run fine

now i did notice a drop of what looked like coolant underneath it, i suspect either the water pump or thermostat housing is leaking, front right hand side

not overly worried as about a week or so after the MOT i'll be getting a belt and water pump done

oh and i pumped up the tyres

ahh

needs a pair of front tyres then

knackered i'd say

what do we reckon, Nexen/hankook range or Michelin/conti range?