I've done a silly......CITROEN XM

maxxo

5 hours ago, wesacosa said:

that one came up for sale recently, its in. bit of a state now

The car got into a state because Dusty wasn't able to buy any spares for it.  She tried, but was terrible at describing what she required; a Citroën parts man in North London is still looking for a something  'like circle in a circle, or a wheel within a wheel'.  

so i've started doing some light tinkering after work today

look at it! doesn't it look fantastic!

No description available.

so, had a look underneath, it's 99% fine surprisingly, however there is some rot towards the rear, not bad not brilliant either

MOT fail level, i don't know but it's not horrific and certainly repairable

sills are quite solid, some surface corrosion but i feel some good old kurust stuff on it and it'll be fine, perhaps some underseal too

bodywork wise, this is the worst

i think i may have caught that just in time you know, the metal is still solid, jacking points still straight thankfully

so, i've spent some time trying to remove some of the awful tape residue from the dash

managed to get it looking like this, which i don't think is too bad for a first attempt with many random cleaning products

as it turns out, it has a dealer fitted alarm and immobiliser, now i'm 99% sure that's the problem

so, i've been reading the book pack and i've worked out how you can override it......very simple too, really poor security but oh well

so that's my next thing to try, of course, after sorting the supply to the solenoid as it was modified to be able to get it running

also going to order a glow plug relay tomorrow and see if that helps anything, surely worth replacing anyway

gave the interior a good clean, found most the missing parts lying around too and honestly it's not in bad condition at all really

it's deposited most of it's LHM onto the garage floor from a suspected failed return line, i presume whilst it's sinking it's pissing it out everywhere

but yes, it's a bit better than i expected

in about 2-3 weeks i'll take it for an MOT, like i said £50 for a list of stuff to do isn't bad

you never know, it may just need a bit of welding a few other little things and then it's roadworthy

now, headlights, it has aftermarket HID lamps fitted, i am very tempted to remove them and fit original units in it's place, as it will likely look better and removed a lot of the aftermarket wiring crap

oh and replace all of the LED bulbs with proper incandescent ones that will likely work

i'm going to pop to halfords on monday, buy bulbs, another set of stands so i can have 4 wheels off the ground and few other little pieces and see where i end up

i must admit, i'm feeling quite confident

i suspect it could do with a timing belt, i don't want to do that myself as access looks awful so i'll likely grabd a quote from my usual garage for it, after i've done a couple of miles in it to make sure all is well

sorry for not a huge update, been at work all day so didn't have much time to do stuff tonight

8 minutes ago, maxxo said:

so i've started doing some light tinkering after work today

look at it! doesn't it look fantastic!

so, had a look underneath, it's 99% fine surprisingly, however there is some rot towards the rear, not bad not brilliant either

MOT fail level, i don't know but it's not horrific and certainly repairable

sills are quite solid, some surface corrosion but i feel some good old kurust stuff on it and it'll be fine, perhaps some underseal too

i think i may have caught that just in time you know, the metal is still solid, jacking points still straight thankfully

so, i've spent some time trying to remove some of the awful tape residue from the dash

managed to get it looking like this, which i don't think is too bad for a first attempt with many random cleaning products

as it turns out, it has a dealer fitted alarm and immobiliser, now i'm 99% sure that's the problem

so, i've been reading the book pack and i've worked out how you can override it......very simple too, really poor security but oh well

so that's my next thing to try, of course, after sorting the supply to the solenoid as it was modified to be able to get it running

also going to order a glow plug relay tomorrow and see if that helps anything, surely worth replacing anyway

gave the interior a good clean, found most the missing parts lying around too and honestly it's not in bad condition at all really

it's deposited most of it's LHM onto the garage floor from a suspected failed return line, i presume whilst it's sinking it's pissing it out everywhere

but yes, it's a bit better than i expected

in about 2-3 weeks i'll take it for an MOT, like i said £50 for a list of stuff to do isn't bad

you never know, it may just need a bit of welding a few other little things and then it's roadworthy

i suspect it could do with a timing belt, i don't want to do that myself as access looks awful so i'll likely grabd a quote from my usual garage for it, after i've done a couple of miles in it to make sure all is well

Cambelt itself isn't too bad actually, its if you need to change the tensioner its a crappy job. OEM tensioner is pretty good quality and doesn't need doing every belt change but if you have an aftermarket replacement it might be wise to do it   Be warned though, if you have a garage do it I suspect they might end up going over the quote if they have to do the tensioner as its really bloody awkward

22 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

Cambelt itself isn't too bad actually, its if you need to change the tensioner its a crappy job. OEM tensioner is pretty good quality and doesn't need doing every belt change but if you have an aftermarket replacement it might be wise to do it   Be warned though, if you have a garage do it I suspect they might end up going over the quote if they have to do the tensioner as its really bloody awkward

me and my garage have an agreement, if it's going to be up to 150 over it's fine, i've told them i understand stuff goes wrong

plus they're the only place round here that know citroens, and do what they say they will and are actually honest

12 hours ago, maxxo said:

2555bc883b65ab5f6abc11c6a22c9e71.jpg

On pretty much any car except the XM I would say ditch the HIDs but the XM has average-at-best headlights due to a few bits of wonderful design that didn’t quite work out in reality as the were at the cutting edge of modern lights as we know them.  There will be some lenses (maybe missing from yours now) and they will be yellowed with age. Plus the self levelling suspension is meant for such things.

I do agree that the colour of yours is pretty awful. Can you change the bulbs? I have yellow HIDs in the C6 and they look ace, would look even better in your XM IMHO.

There was  a huge topic about retrofitting HIDs to the XM years ago on Club XM and someone put a real good amount of work in to it. There can’t be many people who have bothered so maybe it’s your car?!  However, I’m not sure of the legality of a conversion nowadays but you could always leave “as is” unless you fail— I think it is a failure but if a good installation you may get away with it  

Good luck with it all and hope you can get it going soon