Handsome bastard, fighting me all the way...

eddyramrod

Now then... a tale of spannering.

When I took possession of Handsome, his EML was on.  I knew about it; @HMC assured me it wasn't affecting the driving experience, and for the first day or two, he was right.  However last Sunday I went to the Lakeland Motor Museum for Drive It Day, and began to experience hesitation under throttle.  So, on Tuesday I took it in to Martin's garage to have the codes read.  I got a phone call yesterday.

Both banks were running lean, and it seems there's a plastic box at the back of the engine, part of the intake system, and this was broken.  I authorised a replacement.

So this morning I got a phone call telling me the car was ready.

DSCN3561.thumb.JPG.4b5f9b0cb241f5759338ecdd6fb21a4e.JPG

Here are the broken bits.  EML is now off and there is no hesitation when I apply throttle.  Just as a Jag should be!

Meanwhile as you may have noticed, @NorfolkNWeigh offered me a 1/43 model X350.  It arrived today.

DSCN3562.thumb.JPG.f894201677ab3113c634ff26b0097184.JPG

And now it's in my paintshop.

Oh and just because I can...

DSCN3557.thumb.JPG.5400ca8c6617296f6064791353b2703d.JPG

Here it is round the corner, with a neighbour's X-Type in the same green.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I should have taken before-and-after photos but I didn't, words will have to do.

The other day I decided to do something about the glue residue on the rear number plate, from where sticky pads had apparently been allowed to rest on it.  Three vertical strips were distorting the letters and It occurred to me that I might get a pull for improperly displaying the plate.  So I delicately scraped at them with a Stanley blade, and got most of the residue off.  The VRM is now decently legible again.  I was in two minds about buying a new plate but now I don't need to :)  Yay me!

• 2 months later...

The other day I was taking some stuff out of the trunk and putting it back, and I noticed a hissing from, it seemed, the left rear wheel.  Next time I wanted to drive it I looked at the tyres beforehand and they seemed ok, but the car was sitting low.  The dashboard confirmed my diagnosis: faulty air suspension.  It's going to the garage round the corner tomorrow, where it can stay until we get back from Knockhill.

Isn't there always something!

2 hours ago, gadgetgricey said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.685e026da3ae0be971a1d8a0e437efa8.JPG

I am joking :)

Hopefully will be a quick and easy fix and not too much of a hit on the wallet.

S’not that one you need it’s… 

E515687E-B183-4FA2-8651-81CB8B00F943.jpeg

Good luck with the repair Eddy, hopefully it’ll be easily rectified! 

The new strut has arrived today.  I put it in the trunk and walked round to the garage to tell them.  Yes sir, we can fit you in... a week on Friday.  Well they are always busy.  Sign of a good garage, or just capitalising on local closures (two gone in the last 12 months)?

• 2 weeks later...

Well the day finally arrived, and Handsome has now been to the garage for some suspension fondling.  As far as I can tell it now works ok, but then since I picked it up on Friday afternoon I haven't been anywhere.  Cost for fitting: £78-odd.  Happy customer!

I'm going a bit further tomorrow (like maybe 2 miles each way) so I should be better able to judge the outcome.

2 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

There was a horrible grinding noise the whole time and car was a bit sluggish though.:)

Glad its sorted and £78 seems a bargain.

Oh trust me, neither of the above happened!  Sluggish is not a word I can use about this car, unless maybe I was trying to push it.  Grinding noises I leave to my neighbour's Vauxhall Insignificant.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed something today...

When I had that diesel Astra last year, I was inclined to turn up the CD player so that I couldn't hear the engine.  Now I have a V8 Jag and I turn up the CD player because I can't hear the engine!  Handsome is just too damn quiet.

Still a lovely car though.  I like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

And we have a pass :)  So I've been for a little victory lap and stopped at a mate's house for a brew, seeing as his garage door was open; always a sign that he's in.  His V12 E-type was under its cover, his Daimler XJ40 out at a local garage for some little bits of bodywork.  This is the life eh!

So thanks, everyone, for the good thoughts, they obviously did the trick!

• 6 months later...

Six months later, there's nothing to report running-wise.  However I did show up at the Practical Classics jaunt to the Lakeland Motor Museum, and got a little blurb in the current issue!

492070453_JaginPC.thumb.jpeg.5d6f32f66232d2bbc2de3c0d48fac848.jpeg

Thanks to @Ian_Fearn for the scan.

20 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Six months later, there's nothing to report running-wise.  However I did show up at the Practical Classics jaunt to the Lakeland Motor Museum, and got a little blurb in the current issue!

492070453_JaginPC.thumb.jpeg.5d6f32f66232d2bbc2de3c0d48fac848.jpeg

Thanks to @Ian_Fearn for the scan.

That issue has just fallen through the letterbox so I’ll have a gander! I’ll post you the issue if you want it?