Triumph acclaim Avon Turbo

25v6turbo

Having produced the top of the range retrimmed Acclaim, Ladbroke Avon Limited decided to develop a more sporty version of the Acclaim in conjunction with Turbo Technics Limited of Market Rasen, Lincoln.John Taylor, who test drove one for ’Country Life’ in 1983 described the car as a ‘pleasant maiden aunt suddenly appearing on roller skates’.Most commentators at the time agreed that the Acclaim was an unlikely candidate for the performance treatment but that Ladbroke Avon’s conversion was a success. Here’s why.The technical stuffThe car was fitted with a ‘Garrett Air Research T3’ turbo unit blowing the air/fuel mixture through rejetted standard carburettors at 6psi. Whilst the normal 8.4.1 compression ratio of the 1,335 cc engine was retained and an oil cooler was fitted.The turbo was designed to come into play at around 1,800 rpm and to develop full boost by 3,000 rpm. Motoring journalists described the car has having little turbo lag. The effect of the turbo was to raise power output significantly. At 5,500 rpm the BHP increased from the standard 75 to 105 pushing maximum speed from 100 to 120 mph. The 0 to 60 sprint was reduced from 12.5 seconds to 8.8 seconds which was really quite impressive for a 1,335 cc 4 door saloon.The conversion was said to greatly improve the cars pulling power in 4th and 5th gears. The standard cars torque output of 74 lb ft at 3,500 rpm improved to 123 lb ft at the same revs. As a consequence the 50 to 70 mph acceleration time in 4th gear became an impressive 6 seconds making overtaking faster and safer.The engine layout was altered slightly to accommodate the turbo unit and modification of the inlet and exhaust manifolds were necessary. A chromium plated camshaft cover was also fitted.To cope with all this extra power various other modifications had to be made at the same time. Handling was improved by lowering the ride height and fitting uprated springs and dampers. The standard wheels were replaced with 5 ½ inch rim aluminium ‘Lunar Moon’ wheels with wider Avon Turbospeed 205/60 tyres. There were also changes to the car’s appearance. The top and bottom halves of the car were painted in complementary colours. A vinyl roof was fitted in the same colour as the lower half body colour. The word ‘Turbo’ was phased along the bottom half of both front doors with twin coach lines running down the length of the car culminating in a ‘TT’ logo on the bootlid. Additionally, an integral full width front air dam as well as black rear boor lid spoiler were fitted.The car also received major internal revisions. A new 120 mph speedometer was fitted along with a turbo boost gauge (just behind the gearbox mounting). The seats were replaced with ‘figure hugging’ ones trimmed in grey velour with contrasting piping and a new grey carpet fitted - under which was laid a full sound deadening kit. Black ‘leatherette’ PVC trimmed the doors, upper dashboard, and gearbox surround. The steering wheel was also replaced with a sportier feel and leather look rimmed ‘Nardi’ version.Based on an ‘L’ version base Acclaim, the turbo conversion cost £6,950 plus VAT as opposed to the standard cars £4,621 plus VAT (as at October 1982). By 1983 the L version cost £7,789, the HL £7,988, the HLS £8,333 and the CD a hefty £8,688. Avon aimed to produce 4 turbos a week but it is extremely doubtful whether this was achieved. It is not known how many survive. The writer only knows of two - both Cashmere Gold/Brown cars with brown vinyl roofs. One is an ‘A’ reg and the other is reputably the first turbo produced publicity car which is an ‘X’ reg. A Silver/Black ‘triomatic’ ‘Y’ reg version was unfortunately scrapped in 2000. The model that appeared in Avon’s 1982 brochure was particularly attractive in a Red/Black colour scheme. Does it still survive?

More info here:http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?avonaccf.htm

I knew some of you would be interestedYep there was a non Turbo one on Fleabay last year £500 i thinkThe Forum you have read this about is getting very excited about it!!it does need a reshell,it was hanging when i owned it,but the acclaim fans are going crazy over it,i swoped my really nice Acclaim CD to get it...Would be nice to save,the front seats pumped up just like the blood pressure thingy in the qwacks..

• 8 months later...

spotted in Ebay Tat Volume 2, worthy of a thread bump I reckon

1665827.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C191483/#

Very rare Acclaim Avon Turbo for sale, This is the one you always see photos of online and in magazines, No price mind.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?avonaccf.htm

Guest EccentricRichard

Every fibre in my being tells me I should hate this thing - it's from BL's worst era, it's beige, it's FWD, it's got a four-cylinder engine, it's got plenty of turbo lag...

...but I can't. Love it! As someone else said, weapons-grade shite (and none the worse for it!). Mind you, one of these or an E28 5-series... I think I know which I'd still have.

Mind you, being Honda-related, I wonder if you could get a modern VTEC lump in (specifically the naturally-aspirated, 200bhp+, 9000rpm+ 2-litre Civic Type R motor)?

• 9 years later...