What you getting economy wise?

Bren

48 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Same issue here. Indicated 70 is about 3,600rpm in 5th on the Fabia. Gets pretty feckin grating after some time on the motorway.

It’s not so much grating but a damned missed opportunity to add a cruising gear that hacks me off. Wife’s mums Astra 1.8 is the same, 5 low speeds, but it’s revving it’s tits off at 80. 

My 2012 Jazz 1.4ES has averaged 46.5 MPG since I bought it nearly five years ago. The best I've ever seen from a tankful is 51. I've run it mostly on Shell VPower, but switched to Tesco 99 more recently, with the odd tank of E10 here and there.

Wife's 2017 Picanto 1.2 auto averages about 37 MPG, which increases to around 40-42 on a long run.

My daily "free road tax" 500 Twinair is always between 32.7 & 33 no matter how I drive it (mostly in town), that's about the same as my Mk1 Uno with its X1/9 1.5 engine & XR3 carb, & around 12mpg worse than my 1990 1.1 Mk2 Uno (twinair is much quicker mind).
0203202244837.thumb.jpg.305d804affb28a8ea495c8b3603d5760.jpg

Not great, but significantly better than my Jaaaaag...

15480922639_3f8ddc3a85_k11.thumb.jpg.41f72f1fd2ec3fb6a65a2066e81a3b84.jpg

Civic's grand average for the past 20 months is 33.5 mpg.

Lots of very short  journeys, interspersed with a few long ones. The Accord was the same although there were lots of longer trips with that.

Disappointing, I was expecting it to be better than the C5 and it isn't.  C5 was around 42 mpg.

the old Focus 1.6 is doing about 35mpg when ploding along the M6

and about a pint of oil every  600 , the recent oil change to Redex 10/40 semi seems to have reduced the oil burning a bit ..

along with unblocking the crank and cambox breathers ..

A new air filter has just gone in ready for the next   M6 run to see if it changes things .

Mk7 Transit 2.2 fwd mwb semi high top did 26 to the gallon. Not bad four up with baggage.  Worked out on miles and fill ups from south east London to North Berwick a few months back. I do respect this van it earns me a living though Scotland’s a long way away so 80 cruising speed when traffic allows and did crack a ton on the A1 at one point. 
08 plate 1.8 focus got a pasting to Devon bank holiday weekend. Again four up with baggage was riding low at the back as we’re all fair big lumps in this family. Turns out it will still crack 110 though needs caining off the roundabouts to keep pace up. Found a menu button in the stalk on the way home which indicated 24.7 mpg! The fucker drank 2 ltrs of oil too! On the plus side the newly fitted 17’s gripped lovely on the twistys. Not sure if I need to change my vehicle or my driving style but hey smiles per gallon are high.

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

the old Focus 1.6 is doing about 35mpg when ploding along the M6

and about a pint of oil every  600 , the recent oil change to Redex 10/40 semi seems to have reduced the oil burning a bit ..

along with unblocking the crank and cambox breathers ..

A new air filter has just gone in ready for the next   M6 run to see if it changes things .

Redex is about as effective as paracetamol on a gunshot wound. It was alright for decoking a Suffolk Punch Mower but these days it’s usurped by most fuel additives. Those earlier Zetec E would usually get smoky by 150k, invariably it was the rings. Which you pretty much either live with or chuck a used engine in. 

It’s a shame you aren’t closer I’ve got 20 odd litres of used 5w30. By the time it’s burning it you can chuck anything of vaguely the correct grade in. 

8 hours ago, uk_senator said:

Marginally worse than I thought, the Jag would probably do the same overall in fact,  but hammering round the M25, loaded, a tad** over 70 isnt ideal for a large 1.4 auto.

No, not really too bad, but you're right, it's the kind of driving that's probably not the most efficient for a little 1.4 in a bigger car. And probably an old skool auto sapping some of the power anyways.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:37 AM, uk_senator said:

My daily free road tax 500 Twinair (mostly in town) about the same as my Mk1 Uno with its X1/9 1.5 engine & XR3 carb, around 12mpg worse than my 1990 1.1 Mk2 Uno (it is much quicker).0203202244837.thumb.jpg.305d804affb28a8ea495c8b3603d5760.jpg

Not great, but significantly better than my Jaaaaag...

15480922639_3f8ddc3a85_k11.thumb.jpg.41f72f1fd2ec3fb6a65a2066e81a3b84.jpg

I found the Twin Air engine in the Ypsilon to be rather thirstier than I expected, and a great deal thirstier than the official figures.  I used to get 48mpg on a run, I think the official figure was something like 76.

The most economical car I currently have on the road is the Doblo, which managed 50 on the run to Somerset and back last weekend.  Laguna does about 45 on a run, Carina E does low 40s (although that's petrol so works out cheaper than the Laguna).  The 75 did (according to the computer) 38.7 on its first run out yesterday, but that was on a road with rather a lot of roundabouts which always kills the economy on the Rover (it's a heavy bastard to drag up to speed) - on a longer steady run I reckon it should do low 40s, which isn't brilliant but it's a 19-year-old diesel automatic with a 160bhp remap so never going to be the most economical vehicle out there.  It used to do mid-40s with the original ECU and the Ron Box on a sensible setting.

The Renault 6 manages about 40 on a run if I cruise at 60, which I tend to do as anything above that it sounds like it's about to put a rod through the block.  When the Innocenti was on the road and didn't have a slipping clutch that was doing low 50s - again I tended to cruise at 60-65 in that, not because of the gearing but because it only has 30bhp.