What you getting economy wise?

Bren

What does your everday car give you in terms of economy?

Over the past 9 days my e60 had done a mixture of motorways and town driving. Currently the computer is showing an average of 27 mpg. Not bad for a V8 lump but admittedly I am driving it gently - very gently. I am running it on tesco momentum. I realise if I swapped it for a V6 diesel I would get more on the motorway but probably not gain much around town - I get around 23 mpg round the doors.

The vectra hovers around 40 mpg - not great but it is leggy and an auto. My wife uses the car to deliver and collect so that will have some impact on the cars economy.

33 mpg according to Trip 2 meter, which is the average over 15k miles. 

40 mpg according to Trip 1 meter, up and down the M6, from Staffordshire to Miseryside 

Or 32 mpg commuting from Staffordshire to Birmingham. 

42/43mpg ish on a trip to Stirling and other places. 20mpg around Ayr and in traffic, about 35mpg when I'm haring it along some b-roads. All in the Fabia.

Duster seems to get something between 30-40mpg just doing my Mum's commute. Sandero is getting around 37mpg of a lot of mixed stop/start driving round the doors, about 5k miles a year.

Last week I did a test on my work run, 8 miles. Mercedes E320cdi estate v6 using the speed limiter, BMW Z3 2.8 manual trying to obey the speed limits to keep it fair. Results?  Merc 32.2 mpg, Z3 31.7. In normal local use Merc averages 29mpg, Z3 27mpg. On a 60 mile run figs are 38 and 35. I also have a 1985 Mercedes 500 SEC which didn't play this game, the only time I checked it did a genuine 21.7 over 400 miles with quite a lot of long runs. I'd guess 17mpg local shunting about.

Think I was getting between 18mpg to 20mpg from the Land Cruiser before I parked it up as the injectors are bollocksed. Hopefully with new injectors and a magical gizmo from Australia I'll get 22mpg at least. But it was never a cheap car, wasn't bought for economy.

My Peugeot 107 would do 370/400 miles on a full tank. Changed the rear brakes, now it's done 280 miles on half a tank, so I think I'm more or less back to 60mpg on that.

The current V6 3.0 turbo diesel Audi Allroad varies. Going to work gives me 34ish mpg, and returning gives about 38mpg. This can vary very sharply dependant on weather, temperature, traffic, timing of traffic lights and if it’s decided to do a regen which kills economy.  It can be as low as 21 if it’s in regen. But the other morning I got 39mpg on my way in to work.

the worst part of this car is the fuel range. A full tank will give around 520 miles. My trip to work is 6 miles. I can loose 5 miles off the range every 2 miles driven….. which REALLY fucks with my OCD and gets on my nerves. I parked up at work this morning with 485 miles left. I started it up tonight to go home and it’s down to 480. Then 475 then 470, then 465 when I arrive at home, 6 miles later. Grrrrrrrr. 

The E320 CDi is showing 25 mpg on very short runs to Asda and back, it is showing 30 mpg for trips around 10 miles each way and 40 mpg for long runs. I should start using the Panda more for very short trips as it does 40 mpg  and 50 mpg for 10 miles or longer trips. Typically after many years of saying I would not buy a diesel as soon as I get one the price of diesel shoots up to over 10p a litre more than petrol. I think my next job will be to get the 1.6 Cortina estate back on the road.

The Fiat depends on how much I floor it. Driving nicely it's doing 33-35mpg round the doors and 45mpg dead on on a run, bung it in sport mode and that drops to 29mpg round the doors and 32mpg on a back road hoon. (500X 1.4 multiair 140)

The Citroen C4 is doing a flat 26mpg, but it's got a fucked lambda probe and a bolloxed catalyst amongst it's many, many other faults. Considering Mrs Labrat drives it flat out everywhere, that's not too bad really. (2006 Citroen C4 1.6i) 

Ok, full disclosure - this was after a mostly downhill 2 miles from filling up. Normally I get 29.5mpg. Not great in absolute terms but for a heavy and ridiculously comfortable SUV (the RX) not at all bad. 
Not sure about Management’s Shogun - I’m frightened to check 😬

89AA4922-ED4E-471F-9085-C2C6DBF9DD50.jpeg

60+ although I really need to do a few more tankfuls to get a decent average.  It’s like I’m Driving Miss Daisy to get that economy but on a commute it adds about 2 minutes to my journey and is much less stressful.

Lots of speed cameras and idiots doing 65mph until you overtake, then they do 75 🙄

Much easier to sit at 60 and let them continue their fuckwittery with someone else 

The 1.8 Kompressor engine the Merc has is notoriously thirsty around the doors, giving low to mid 20s. Being an auto probably doesn't help, but it's worth it for the supercharger whine! It seems happy on Tesco Momentum at the moment.

It's quite a bit better going to work and back though. 2 miles of stop/start then onto the 50 mph dual carriageway, followed by 65mph (on cruise) on the NSL section of the A66 up to Teesside airport gives an average of about 39. Given that the C Class has nearly the same power and much the same performance as my old 2.6 six-pot 190E, and I used to be lucky to see high 20s out of that, I don't think it's too bad.