European Road Trips - Travels with Montaigne

lesapandre

It's  squirting out when the fuel pump fires. As usual lots of advice on the web. I'll need to get it on ramps and have a good look. So that's it for this car for a bit. My hunch is a union has failed - but who knows.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mercedes+W123+Fuel+Lines+(Rear)+Replacement/33386

I could have it recovered and looked at by a local garage (it's too dangerous to drive though it runs fine) but it will be €€€'s. So no I will come back for it with some kit after doing more research.

New one on me - never had a fuel line leak on anything - but the car is 32.

I thought I could smell ️ over a few days.

Should have bought the XM 😄

My attempt to buy a 2nd hand car at the local garage came to nothing - all the cheap cars had gone - was a nice AX I fancied.

Something will turn up - or I will have to get the train home - if there are any.

Better the 124 breaks down here than in Lithuania or in Spain - both of which were (are)  on the agenda. 

It's pretty minor but fiddley - struck me it might be rodent damage.

The philosopher Montaigne says we have a better time when things go wrong not right - at least some of the time...

🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐀🐁🐈‍⬛

20220621_182313.jpg

I have French 0-Level Grade C - could do better...

I realised France was a cool place when our French teacher (who was French) used to smoke whilst teaching us...zut alors.

But no smoking aux bomb surprise ce matin...

15 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

I have French 0-Level Grade C - could do better...

Soz,  I wasn't having a go,  I got to A level and learnt nothing, then spoke it a bit in real life and learnt a lot, so stuff like that sort of jumps out.   Of course it's far better to speak bad French than expect them to speak English - why should they?    I hope you can get the motor sorted without too much bother.

Au garage...they are going to look at it...nice man. This is nothing I can tackle at the roadside - the undertray needs detaching etc.

20220622_134039.thumb.jpg.293aaaf71e9ac8d833142d5f5fb73c45.jpg

No offence taken - I sometimes mangle my French...

In the meantime I put the car in a ditch - they have deep 'fosses' each side of the lanes and getting by passing cars can be dicey.

Still some good ol boys pulled me out with a tractor.

20220622_104658.thumb.jpg.b561e2f561382b35eb9b4dac96a891f0.jpg

20220622_134054.jpg

20220622_133949.jpg

20220622_133956.jpg

20220622_134034.jpg

Well it's the fuel pump. The Benz  stood for a decade and I only use it a few times a year - so the poor old fuel pump has had enough.

Expensive but better it packs up in a nice French village than out on the Autoroute or a Spanish mountain or on the Baltic coast somewhere.

Probably a week or 2 to get it fixed by the time the parts have come.

Nice plaque at the garage - they are Citroen dealership.

20220623_132959.jpg

I've not used any Autoroutes this trip to offset the increased fuel cost a bit - to avoid the tolls.

The Autoroutes are usually very  pricey - any country/town garage too. 

E Leclerc supermarkets are consistently the cheapest - I think they have an app - so I would locate the stations on a map or the app and plot your journeys/fills that way. Their hypermarches make a good pit-stop often with cafes etc.

There are some fuel price apps for  France too - but I'm not impressed with their accuracy.

French TV news reckons car use in France is down 30% - it's  certainly quiet.

Cheers, I have to admit when I was over earlier this year I didn't even pay attention to the fuel prices on the Autoroutes as I was just trying to cross the country as quickly as possible. I think it was about 1.70-1.80 per litre, and the thought of looking for cheaper fuel on the back roads didn't cross my mind.

Thanks for the tip about E Leclerc, I'll have a look for the app and plan some pit stops. I can taste the croque monsieur and fresh orange juice now!

I've been over twice recently and Total pez prices didn't seem too ruinous, relatively speaking.  That was in Normandy.  Tried to keep off the supermarket stuff as the Xedos seems a bit fussy as to what it drinks.

It is raining 🌧  in N. France today - and car parts take just as long or longer to arrive as in the UK...so I am finishing my roadtip gloomily on Friday on...Eurostar. The Benz is continuing it's holiday alone at a French garage until I come back to collect it.

Montaigne of course has wise words for every eventually.

20220621_182313.thumb.jpg.d8ce423d4e2a11b1364e51a3c28e4818.jpg

"When I was young I veiled my playful passions behind wisdom: now I am old I disperse my gloomy ones by excess"

"My travels only hurt me by their expense, which is considerable and exceeds my resources...I have to make my journeys shorter and less frequent spending only the froth of my savings."

• lesapandre changed the title to European Road Trips - Travels with Montaigne