European Road Trips - Travels with Montaigne

lesapandre

On 4/12/2022 at 4:23 PM, motorpunk said:

Excellent! I have my own roadtrip planned for June, aiming for Italy, will either be in something mega-mile and German, or wholly impractical but pristine and British. 

I assume you are referring to your Elise. I may be a bit slow but I took my VX220 on a European road trip (camping) and everything was going swimmingly and autobahny and alpine passy and everything until in a sweltering Verona the not exactly robust radiators selected by Lotus decided to split one of the paper thin plastic end caps. Not only did this wash boiling hot water over the windscreen and over us but also meant that we spent the rest of the trip in some poxy Lancia dismal thing but also had to leave my car in a garage in Verona hoping that the RAC would do as they promised and returned it to me about four weeks later.

If your car hasn't had a new radiator recently then you might want to consider it. I would certainly stump if for European recovery, that's for sure.  

9 minutes ago, JimH said:

I assume you are referring to your Elise. I may be a bit slow but I took my VX220 on a European road trip (camping) and everything was going swimmingly and autobahny and alpine passy and everything until in a sweltering Verona the not exactly robust radiators selected by Lotus decided to split one of the paper thin plastic end caps. Not only did this wash boiling hot water over the windscreen and over us but also meant that we spent the rest of the trip in some poxy Lancia dismal thing but also had to leave my car in a garage in Verona hoping that the RAC would do as they promised and returned it to me about four weeks later.

If your car hasn't had a new radiator recently then you might want to consider it. I would certainly stump if for European recovery, that's for sure.  

Thanks, my Elise had a new  ally rad fitted almost as soon as I bought it ;)

So what's left on the French roads this trip?

The French Controle Technique has got a lot tighter in recent years so the old vans I used to see about are now long gone...

There are lots of Voiture Sans Permis clacking about - more than I recall - and they look like normal, if small, cars these days.

20220525_084423.thumb.jpg.9684f6f9024f7662f4a13ddd87b7cc23.jpg

What else? C15 vans, quite a few Peugeot 205, Citroen AX too - the latter two mostly driven by older people.

Xantias - a few and the Mk1 and 2 Clio. An occasional Safrane seen as well. Anything with a bit of economy.

There is the occasional gem. 

20220525_092151.thumb.jpg.1a0cecb1d832061455e5d77de0df6847.jpg

Moderns? Dacia seem to be in the majority as a single type. 50%+ of cars still remain French.

Electric cars. The very occasional one - charging points here in La France Profonde - I've not seen one. The ubiquitous soundtrack remains the clacking of the diesel car in France. I'd not be confident touring in an electric car yet.

Fuel in rural areas is about 2€  p/l for the SP98 petrol that keeps the Benz happy - but it is a lovely touring car. A road closure - common in France, deposited me lost on the Rouen inner ring road - it coped with the bumper-to-bumper racetrack snarl of an unknown city very effectively. 

Not this but it felt like it...I just sat back and the Benz got me out.

I should like every single picture you’ve taken so take this as such. There’s loads of charge points they’re just not that apparent unless you see them, then you see them everywhere. Our little place has one, the “big” town has three and lots of the supermarket sites are getting them now.

I don’t tend to stop on motorways but the last time I did (near Bordeaux) there was loads. If the Ami gets cheap used I’d consider one here but for the fact I’d have to get rid of something else to justify it.

Could it get any worse?

• lesapandre changed the title to European Road Trips - Travels with Montaigne