Vauhall Signum?

Dobloseven

Been using it for work today. Quite enjoyed driving around in it. Had to come home in the afternoon though, to change to the Zafira as I remembered IIMG_20220413_190147.thumb.jpg.9e38a4369c3a80f7337617a63a13bbfd.jpgIMG_20220413_193817.thumb.jpg.3db081a5af36bdcd2b455966bbfe2b14.jpgIMG_20220413_202356.thumb.jpg.ad4e68e41a7e2fb2af9131c5a237649f.jpg had a washer and a tumble dryer to pick up. A job it would have done easily if I could have opened the tailate.Was a bit embarrassed by how filthy the PO had let it get, so got the jetwash out and did the wheels with Cillit Bang. Looks a bit better now. Also the sat nav works and it's got a 4 CD autochanger. 

I look after a customer’s 2007 2.2 Direct Elite. It’s now got nearly 200,000 miles and drives fantastically (if barge-like). 
The owner loves it. Last year the gearbox finally gave up. I found a good used ‘box, a used DMF from a 19k car (big risk but I couldn’t get a new one) and new LuK clutch and set-to.  Saved it comprehensively and it’s now as good as new. Customer drives it between his home in Kent and other home in Weardale and also owns a yellow Tigra!

15 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I was thinking it might be the "inspiration" behind the mystery stain on the seat!

That's the next job, to shampoo the seats. Since I've had it I've noticed some very tidy Vectras running about as well. Looked at buying a cheap Vectra estate a couple of years ago as a temporary fix when my Kangoo expired. Weren't many left then. Found a 2007 150 diesel Elite auto at a local trader who indicated it could be mine for a not too high three figure sum. Threw me the keys and told me not to crash it. Seemed to drive quite nicely till I got it on a dual carriageway. Stuck my foot down to pass a row of cars in inside lane. Car falters, smoke coming out of rear. Back into inside lane again, didn't seem too bad then, but somewhat off putting. They were very good at being an estate though, with the extended wheelbase. Was very disappointed with the Insignia estate that followed. Would think the Signum would be a better load carrier than one of them. 

Got the boot open. Crawled inside, removed bung on inside of tailgate. There's a square hole deep inside, that's just right for a 1/4"drive extension for undoing the lock. Didnt have time to do anymore, as going out and away tomorrow for a few days. Good flat loadspace with no lip and over 6ft long. IMG_20220414_181955.thumb.jpg.56cde2fc5009d4ec13a0ddd2dc48449c.jpg

Not sure if the boot opening is the same as a Vectra, but assuming it is, the exterior handle for opening is operated by a microswitch underneath the rubber grab handle. Its a little ball bearing that moves to make the contact when you apply pressure to open the boot. These get gunked up and seize up. Remove the rubber handle surround and clean up the ball bearing, there is a hinged strip of metal that  presses the ball bearing to activate the switch, this should hopefully help out as its a common problem on Vectra's.

Pictures robbed from google. Red bit is the bearing/switch.

DL_tail_lock1.jpg.7ff97a55d6a9800e26a70f20b9d84532.jpg

DL_tail_lock2.jpg.70006013fbf056d01299df611b9482dd.jpg

5 hours ago, Popsicle said:

Not sure if the boot opening is the same as a Vectra, but assuming it is, the exterior handle for opening is operated by a microswitch underneath the rubber grab handle. Its a little ball bearing that moves to make the contact when you apply pressure to open the boot. These get gunked up and seize up. Remove the rubber handle surround and clean up the ball bearing, there is a hinged strip of metal that  presses the ball bearing to activate the switch, this should hopefully help out as its a common problem on Vectra's.

Pictures robbed from google. Red bit is the bearing/switch.

DL_tail_lock1.jpg.7ff97a55d6a9800e26a70f20b9d84532.jpg

DL_tail_lock2.jpg.70006013fbf056d01299df611b9482dd.jpg

Think it's a bit of a Vauxhall thing. Took my cousin out last night,in the Signum, he's well impressed with it. He's got an Astra estate of similar vintage(H?),that has similar issues. I certainly can't feel the microswitch "click", like I can on our other cars. Just need a chance to have go at it. We're away today in the caravan till next week, so the fun's been stopped. Really is a nice old thing. Only issues I've found so far apart from the tailgate are the rear wiper blade which lost its rubber during jetwashing, the tatty drivers seat, the even more tatty gear knob and gaiter, and the passenger door mirror cover with a lump out of it. I've ordered a replacement and bought a can of paint that looks about the right colour from Halfords. The front bumper has some deep gouges as well, so might have a go at them if the match isn't too bad. Other than that, really happy with it. Drives well and really quite lively. Was playing with the vintage sat nav last night. Works well, but it's trapped in 2004!

Having got home from a Bank Holiday caravan trip, thought I'd press on with the tailgate. Managed to ease the interior trim away enough to get an 8mm socket in to undo the nuts holding the plastic holder for the switch and the numberplate lamps. Once I'd got the switch out, unfortunately having damaged one of the mounting studs, it was exactly as popsicles photos. Soon freed the sticking ball, gave it a smidgen of waterproof grease. Microswitch was fine, a really tiny little thing. Reconnected switch to car and works a treat. Just need to sort out broken stud. Also noticed number plate light screws were very rusty. Easier to undo them off the car and use some new ones than have someone struggle when a bulb needs changing for an Mot. Number plate screws are even more grim, so will change them and clean the plate up. Apart from that, the rear wiper blade and mirror cover haven't arrived yet. Looking for a better drivers seat, the gear knob and gaiter seem to be easily available, so hopefully should be able to do it all on a budget of £100.WCPGW?IMG_20220419_195907.thumb.jpg.bb1b2c3d86e6a775e9ddefe3bcc08dfb.jpgIMG_20220419_195954.thumb.jpg.3c022731345d136e822fc5e344deac05.jpg

IMG_20220420_174212.thumb.jpg.c3dea09fb6c31a889564aee9866d6c0a.jpgIMG_20220420_174212.thumb.jpg.c3dea09fb6c31a889564aee9866d6c0a.jpgIMG_20220420_174212.thumb.jpg.c3dea09fb6c31a889564aee9866d6c0a.jpgIMG_20220420_174212.thumb.jpg.c3dea09fb6c31a889564aee9866d6c0a.jpgGot the failgate back together this evening. Bought some stainless steel screws for the number plate lights and some flange nuts to replace ones that went AWOL. A pound from a place that sells loose fastenings in Leicester, called All Screwed Up. The bulbs were silvery and didn't seem to emit much light, so after cleaning the lenses, I fitted two new ones.Another 2 quid! Cleaned the number plate and fitted it with 2 new screws. All works fine, so for 3 quid and a bit of time, the car is now a usable load carrier. Hopefully the rear wiper and mirror cover will turn up tomorrow and I can start on painting it. IMG_20220420_203752.thumb.jpg.57116849f110a686282e3ead5bbf4599.jpg

Not feeling that well, so finished early and thought a bit of fresh air might xo me good. Mirror cover and rear wiper blade had arrived, so got cover painted. Reminded me of how good modern rattle cans are. Sadly I'm old enough to remember when a Holts can contained a tiny amount of coloured thinners. That no matter if you shook it till your arms ached, it would run everywhere and react with everything. While it was drying, I fitted the wiper blade. I get really annoyed by rear wiper blades getting forgotten. Last year I rescued a Meriva. Previous owner had let the rear blade disappear and rub a groove in the rear window. Which looked worse because it was privacy glass. A new blade cost under 8 quid, Including two front ones. And post and packing so no need to leave the sofa. Vacuumed it all out, spare wheel well was full of foliage from tip runs. Cleaned the seats and carpets with the VAX Spot Washer we bought for dog "accidents". Look a lot better now, but really needs a replacement drivers seat to be anything other than a "ten footer" as him out of Bangers and Cash would say. Shan't bother with the gear knob and gaiter unless I can find one. Also put some black silicone round the rear bee sting aerial to restick the rubber gasket that came adrift with the jet washing. Son's coming up from Wales at the weekend so will let him have a look. Think the rear seat issue will be a deal breaker, though. Unless one of his child seats will fit on it, he's got a one year old, a three year old and a twelve year old he has shared custody of, from a previous relationship. Oh and the headlights were a bit cloudy, so I gave them a quick T cutting. IMG_20220421_172645.thumb.jpg.30ebbb3d9583eefc283206c2c6764679.jpgIMG_20220421_172559.thumb.jpg.1b31496e31a1544e0eadb215982e58cc.jpgIMG_20220421_160410.thumb.jpg.cfbe9f459ef9e48f086b65c0cab9b345.jpgIMG_20220421_154722.thumb.jpg.d2f2c2679c6547bb1e949392650517be.jpg9IMG_20220421_154711.thumb.jpg.fe34849a9d3a0c4fd735aaad809bee33.jpg

Son came up at the weekend, and seemed quite taken with it. Doesn't seem that worried about the seating. Impressed with the big boot. Insured it for a day and drove it round. He's taking the Meriva he had off me last year to WBAC tomorrow. Not quite sure what his thinking is. To be fair it does have a gearbox issue though. If sale is successful, he'll take the Signum back at the weekend. WCPGW? 

Well, that's that then. Son came up for the weekend and took it back with him to South Wales. Says he had a lovely drive back in it, around 150 miles. Bit sad to see it go, would have liked to have done a bit more to tidy it up. Reckon a better drivers seat and gear lever would have transformed the interior and sorting the scuffed bumper, the exterior. Still, I did what I could in the time available, total spend 35 pounds. He'd sold the Meriva he had off me last year to WBAC, so was keen to get something else. He's a 15 reg diesel Cactus as well so this is very much a second car. He got more for the Meriva than the Signum cost, so everybody's happy, for now at least. What's next, I wonder? 

Think he's pleased with it. He's seen some roof bars for a tenner he fancies. It's the biggest car he's ever owned. Calls it his executive car! I'm not going to disillusion him. I always find the stories behind old cars fascinating. If the postman had delivered the revised V5C in 2015,then it would have gone to Available Car and ended up who knows where? 

• 1 month later...

The old thing is still going strong. Came up to see us for the weekend, a 280 mile round trip. His 12 year old has more room in the centre seat than in his Cactus and the boot is massively bigger and easier to load with no lip,so it's his car of choice at the moment. He says it's not very economical, but then says it's doing 34mpg which sounds fine to me. 

48 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

The old thing is still going strong. Came up to see us for the weekend, a 280 mile round trip. His 12 year old has more room in the centre seat than in his Cactus and the boot is massively bigger and easier to load with no lip,so it's his car of choice at the moment. He says it's not very economical, but then says it's doing 34mpg which sounds fine to me. 

People forget whole of life costs, ok a diesel might save him £5 a week but the chuckie alone would be more than that. Throw in a DMF and you’d have to drive to the moon and back to break even...

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

People forget whole of life costs, ok a diesel might save him £5 a week but the chuckie alone would be more than that. Throw in a DMF and you’d have to drive to the moon and back to break even...

That's why we ran the 1.8 pez zafira with the ex. Yes it only did 30mpg, but it did that wether she drove to work (4 miles), took the kids about (sub 3 miles), I borrowed it and drove very fast etc, which was worth it over another 10mpg but in the 6 speed derv which have loads of issues in the Zafira B.

Never went wrong engine wise bar the murmer of the cat light towards the end of our ownership of the Meriva (a good long trip did cure that though and we got rid for other reasons, but it was always in my mind that here we go, too many short cold trips at low revs...)

57 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That's why we ran the 1.8 pez zafira with the ex. Yes it only did 30mpg, but it did that wether she drove to work (4 miles), took the kids about (sub 3 miles), I borrowed it and drove very fast etc, which was worth it over another 10mpg but in the 6 speed derv which have loads of issues in the Zafira B.

Never went wrong engine wise bar the murmer of the cat light towards the end of our ownership of the Meriva (a good long trip did cure that though and we got rid for other reasons, but it was always in my mind that here we go, too many short cold trips at low revs...)

I’ve a lot of time for the Z18XER, not immune from a few problems but generally straightforward. 

4 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

My dad has a new MG - 1 Litre 3 pot auto. Around town he is getting mid to high twenties.

27 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’ve a lot of time for the Z18XER, not immune from a few problems but generally straightforward. 

Ours was sound. It had a good service and was fine forever. Even had a load of black shit in it from its prior life with Amy's sister and it didn't bat an eyelid. Was electrical issues outweighing it's value and the exhaust falling off that had it scrapped eventually. 

1.6 in the meriva was excellent too. I'd not have a meriva again so I'd say that engine in an astra would be fine. It'd do its mpg but do it however you drove it. 

They need a good thrash anyway. I remember taking the meriva for its mot, and leaving. 30 into an nsl putting my foot down. It was a slow hateful turf anyway but even more so. Dropped to 2nd at 40 and kept going and it blew out shit that put my old xud's to shame! Picked right back up after that, Amy drives her cars cold and below 2k everywhere bar when the speed puts it above that... Her current octavia sounds awful but I don't care now, not my problemo👌

So yea, all vauxhalls r shit but the basic pez ones are reliably shit... 

• 1 month later...

IMG_20220804_114605.thumb.jpg.754bae2714e23ed0aeba7f92fc0d4294.jpgWell the old thing is still giving great service.Son has done a lot of miles in it.Says it's a good motorway car. His 12 year old is more comfortable on the centre seat than in his Cactus so it's his holiday car of choice. Boot is much bigger as well. And the aircon works! He's been on holiday with us this week and has fitted some genuine Vauxhall roof bars and a roof box. 

• 5 months later...

End of an era. Son has bought a Vauxhall Combo version of the Berlingo. LWB,diesel, seven seats. He's been after one for ages. Alternator packed up on the Signum on Christmas Day. Got it repaired, stuck it on Facebook for 500 quid. Phone never stopped ringing. Sold for full asking price within 12 hours.Usual idiots, but if you're seling or buying a cheap car you've got to have a sense of humour. Was a bit surprised as under a months Mot left. He'd had about 9k miles out of it, and it was starting to use a bit more oil. It was only ever going to be a stopgap, but he's kind of sad to see it go. 

16 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

End of an era. Son has bought a Vauxhall Combo version of the Berlingo. LWB,diesel, seven seats. He's been after one for ages. Alternator packed up on the Signum on Christmas Day. Got it repaired, stuck it on Facebook for 500 quid. Phone never stopped ringing. Sold for full asking price within 12 hours.Usual idiots, but if you're seling or buying a cheap car you've got to have a sense of humour. Was a bit surprised as under a months Mot left. He'd had about 9k miles out of it, and it was starting to use a bit more oil. It was only ever going to be a stopgap, but he's kind of sad to see it go. 

£500 is not much more than bridge money. That's why it went quickly.

Son's come to ours for the weekend. Took his coat off and realised he'd forgotten he'd still got the 500 quid cash in his pocket. Reckoned he had over 40 enquiries. The  few weeks Mot left would have put me off, though I'd have taken it off his hands if he'd been stuck with it. Buyer seemed impressed that it was a 2.2,yet that's not reckoned to be the best engine. Seems happy with his Combolingo. His 13 year old can sit in one of the rearmost seats away from the sticky fingers of the two younger ones!

On 09/01/2023 at 18:19, Dobloseven said:

Where's your bridge? Our local yard was paying 90 quid a tonne for light iron just before Christmas. They used to reckon the closer to a steelworks, the more it was. 

The closer to the dock road at Liverpool, to add to.the pile that's bigger than the Liver Building waiting to go to China.