Recommend me a tiny, fast little car

chris667

Used until 2014 then put away in the garage when my balls left home. Now usurped by small old car so at menders having carbs cleaned, brakes fettled and hopefully 13 months fresh ticket. No pics on this phone unfortunately but Google zxr750 h2 and only look at the ones in the proper colours (blue, green and white). I've never ridden a modern sports bike, but as this is rapidly fast I'd imagine a proper litre bike from any time in the last 20 years or so would make me go faint 🤣

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Alternatively for the sleeper look, a Rover 200 VI.

Can confirm. A friend had one and it was a proper hoot - it’s the car he regrets selling. Trouble is, try finding one these days...

2 hours ago, bangernomics said:

What is your definition of fast? 0-60 or PTW ratio?

Or is it sensation based as an old mini 1380 used to feel properly quick but a mundane anything would make it look pedestrian these days.

That's a good question.

I think it is the mini. I don't really care if it can beat other cars. I want one I can enjoy having a blast around on.

11 minutes ago, chris667 said:

That's a good question.

I think it is the mini. I don't really care if it can beat other cars. I want one I can enjoy having a blast around on.

MX5 (with folding hard top if you're not a fan of soft tops)?

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Alternatively for the sleeper look, a Rover 200 VI.

I'd never heard of these. A quick nose around the internet suggests they're quite the sleeper - 0-60 in 7.5 seconds in something which looks very unassuming would be a proper hoot at the traffic lights. 

Are there any actually left? How many were built? A thread I just found on PH suggests they were rocking horse poop back in 2016. 

Edit: Is the 25 Gti basically the same car? They seem to be almost as rare now, too. 

9 hours ago, bangernomics said:

What is your definition of fast? 0-60 or PTW ratio?

Or is it sensation based as an old mini 1380 used to feel properly quick but a mundane anything would make it look pedestrian these days.

Light and feels fast. Doesn't actually need to be fast in my opinion. These days you can't drive quick anyway. Speed is about the sensation of speed not just going really quick

4 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I'd never heard of these. A quick nose around the internet suggests they're quite the sleeper - 0-60 in 7.5 seconds in something which looks very unassuming would be a proper hoot at the traffic lights. 

Are there any actually left? How many were built? A thread I just found on PH suggests they were rocking horse poop back in 2016. 

Edit: Is the 25 Gti basically the same car? They seem to be almost as rare now, too. 

25 GTi is pretty much the same, yes. They were much rarer than the 200vi years ago because they were only offered for a very short time between the 200 becoming the 25 and the MG ZR becoming available. There was no longer a hot 25 after the ZR hit the market.

As for answering the thread question, I'll say what I always say, and recommend a Honda Civic Type R in EP3 shape. I don't know what they cost now but they are absolutely excellent. Mine was £1800 but it was in a shabby way. Took some more time and money to become what it is now, too

tmp-cam-7171007140389064201.jpg

A Twingo 1.6VVT apparently weighs 1049kg and has 118 ft/lb of torque.  Astonishingly, Susie* weighed just 850kg before I took the back seat out to make room for the dog and has 125 torks but just a lowly 75 bhp's. Armed with a bottom strut brace it goes round corners with disturbing alacrity and cheerfully does about 90mph.  She* lacks the ultimate power to go much faster, but the twin choke Weber makes a cracking noise on the way there.

Stop searching.  £1250to you.  225bhp, quattro. Leggy but well serviced.  Couple of intermittent but diagnosed faults, cured with £80 of parts. 

20220316_120228.jpg

Can also recommend many of the other suggestions on here, namely Clio 1*2, Puma, Kawasaki ZXR (mine was only a 400, and scared me shitless). 

Speaking of scary small cars  what happened to that 20v  turbo Lupo that someone was building?  That would fit the bill. 

22 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Metro with 1.8vvc conversion. Ideally a “Kensington” branded model in giffer green. 

I was all set for this but then the MGF threw a spanner in the works by passing its MOT...