Q: What does one replace a sexy old Volvo with? A: A sexy old Saab.

Spiny Norman

Didn't really get anywhere with the want ad I put up last week but for once Gumtree came up trumps and after a run out to East Kilbride at the weekend for a viewing I went and picked this up on Monday. No collection thread because it involved a 25 minute taxi ride to the bloke's house and no pez station shots because it's half full, though probably not for long...

It's a Saab 9-5 Aero HOT auto and has the most anally complete service history I've seen in a long while  The previous owner spent nearly £5k on it in just over 2 years between various upgrades and replacing virtually every wear & tear part bar the actual engine and gearbox he could find. The body is good, but has a couple of wee scuffs but the interior is mint and it drives like a new car. With the stereo off the loudest noise in the car at 70mph is the leather creaking slightly.

I'd hoped to get some nicer pics than these, but it's been pissing down here since I brought it home so here's a couple of shots of a dirty dark grey car on a dirty dark grey day.

PXL_20220404_135220526.jpg

PXL_20220404_135252960.jpg

PXL_20220404_135337764.jpg

PXL_20220404_135405627.jpg

Looks great, congrats for also creeping under the '55 on £600/yr tax bracket for these, was looking at Dame Edna versions of these recently.

Now get that ECU sent off to noobtune, and for £150 you can ruin a set of tyres in 5k miles and piss every boy racer off as they'll never pass you!

40 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Now get that ECU sent off to noobtune, and for £150 you can ruin a set of tyres in 5k miles and piss every boy racer off as they'll never pass you!

Already been done.
It's at stage 3; new ECU, full 3" stainless exhaust, big intercooler, uprated fuel pump, bigger brakes and one or two other assorted bits.
Bills for nearly two grand for that alone in the history file, the acceleration from 40mph in sport mode is ballistic and yes, I'm already pricing up new tyres...

44 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

great choice. Same wheels and wood trim dash as my much missed LPGd HOT. most others I have seen have black dash and different wheels

I'd say mine was pretty much the best all rounder I ever owned

I'll be honest, I'd have preferred either the carbon* look or the plain silver, I'm not a huge fan of stick on bits of tree in cars but I'll live with it. I do like the wheels though, and seeing them that dirty in the photos makes me think they'd look great powder coated on gunmetal grey, not black but just  a bit darker than the paintwork. I'll see how it looks when it's all clean.

Took it for a wash and brush up today and it looks much better. Getting to know it properly now. It's got satnav but it's 2005 spec where you need to enter the name of the street rather than the postcode so I doubt that'll be seeing any action when Google Maps just works so much better. The stereo's not bad though nowhere near as good as the ones in top Volvos from that era despite having 9 speakers in it.

The seats are amazing, possibly the best I've ever put my bum on even if they are my less preferred covering after velour. The boot is huge, and like my old W210 Mercedes I can hardly reach the back without climbing inside.

PXL_20220407_141657705.jpg

PXL_20220407_141427190.jpg

PXL_20220407_141617734.jpg

PXL_20220407_141838257.jpg

This is quite impressive too, a mix of town shuffling, urban dual carriageway at 50/60 and the odd whoopee on a sliproad over the 70-odd miles I've had it.

PXL_20220407_142743552.jpg

20 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I'll be honest, I'd have preferred either the carbon* look or the plain silver, I'm not a huge fan of stick on bits of tree in cars but I'll live with it. I do like the wheels though, and seeing them that dirty in the photos makes me think they'd look great powder coated on gunmetal grey, not black but just  a bit darker than the paintwork. I'll see how it looks when it's all clean.

Wow that's weird I don't like mine in plain silver but love yours in that grey. Also I'm not bothered about my dash covering which isn't wood but yours gives me, erm, wood. 

IMG_20220330_115046394_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220330_115033753_HDR.jpg