Used Car Prices - What do you reckon will happen?

83C

am after better moderen car but will not be ripped off i will keep my 13 year old skoda which i had for 4 years so owes me nowt go on car sites you will see same cars week after week. work my arse off sometimes 7 days,am just over min wage but at the age were owe nobody anything,so till this maddness finshes my hard earn cash stay in my pocket lol,

On 4/19/2022 at 9:17 PM, grogee said:

Suddenly with the household bills ballooning, consumers are going to default on credit

- First casualties will be non-essentials like leased new cars 

Or, first casualties will be food and paying bills.  It’s probably an excellent time to launch a credit card👍

On 5/8/2022 at 10:28 AM, Datsuncog said:

This cost me £975 in March.

IMG_20220402_123956.thumb.jpg.0add0e10a6ada0cb69a9e3e790a92ba0.jpg

It seems a great wee thing, but I can't help but think it would've been a £400 car a few years ago.

The paradox is that I was willing to pay a bit more because it has vastly fewer things fitted that could go wrong compared to newer/ more luxurious models.

I was in a similar position recently - everything that was a £500 car 3 years ago now nudges £1k.

Hence I found myself paying toward a grand for a k11 micra which I’ve bought similar for £500 4 years previously .

On 4/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, sierraman said:

Are these people on drugs? £11,000 for a nine year old Mondeo? 

Im trying to fathom the logic in at what point you’d drop that sort of money on a 9 year old Mondeo, I’d assume the prospective purchaser would be taking it on the chucky over 3 or 4 years so it is in reality a £13,000 car, plus the inevitable diesel repairs it’ll want. And it’s the powershit box. 

Honestly if you went out now and bought or took finance out on that you ought to have someone arrange court of protection of your finances. 

F02295F6-E634-4CD0-880D-C5C8A50D8CA6.png

Not defending the stupid price, but the 2.0 and 2.2 Don't have the powershit box.

James @ Chops Garage on youtube showed the BCA dealer portal on a recent video. A 2011 Hyundai i10 Automatic with 20,000 miles fetched ..... Wait for it.... £6200 auction hammer price + fees 😳

With fees and delivery I expect the dealer was in it for £6800... for a 10 year old Hyundai!

Absolute madness, and I thought prices were starting to come down!

I discover they've listed it up for £7390. That's quite a tight margin, must show how desperate they are for stock. Granted they do offer finance which I imagine is where they're earning their money/comission

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205115569654?

1916476063_Screenshot_20220514-0030332.thumb.png.97f793a251a707b4720f702dc2ebc929.png

I'm not too sure what to list my Focus for in the next couple of months. 

Its a 2008, 140k miles, 1.6 petrol, will have 13 months MOT, probably advisory free or very few if not. Not bad in terms of rust, only a bit of surface, unknown cambelt history, slightly knocky steering rack, little paperwork but plenty from my ownership. Wants for nothing at point of sale, although without a crystal ball who knows what may or may not break and with the above downsides I wouldn't want to sell it within the Forum. 

£1200 was my first thought although scanning Gumtree it will probably be the cheapest car in its class within a 30 mile radius and I think it commands better than that. I've seen a 2003 Fiesta up for £1795 and a 2004 Focus (MK1) up for £1450!!

I'm really not too sure, will wait and see how the MOT pans out and if it needs much spending for that, then I can decide a more concrete price. I don't want to underprice it and get 100s of enquires from imbeciles but equally don't want to overprice it and sit on it for weeks for no reason 🤔

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

James @ Chops Garage on youtube showed the BCA dealer portal on a recent video. A 2011 Hyundai i10 Automatic with 20,000 miles fetched ..... Wait for it.... £6200 auction hammer price + fees 😳

With fees and delivery I expect the dealer was in it for £6800... for a 10 year old Hyundai!

Absolute madness, and I thought prices were starting to come down!

I discover they've listed it up for £7390. That's quite a tight margin, must show how desperate they are for stock. Granted they do offer finance which I imagine is where they're earning their money/comission

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205115569654?

1916476063_Screenshot_20220514-0030332.thumb.png.97f793a251a707b4720f702dc2ebc929.png

Cause it’s automatic. A mate was nagged by his wife to get an auto, then presented with spending £6k on a 2008 Megane that I informed them could pretty much shit itself by close of business they had a change of heart. 

Unless we’re talking something quality, auto boxes seek to have a very limited life expectancy, a glitch with the box means it’s scrap - nobody in the garage trade is going to want to know about a 2008 Powershit that ‘just needs a fluid change’.

On 08/05/2022 at 10:39, bicycle repairman said:

am after better moderen car but will not be ripped off i will keep my 13 year old skoda which i had for 4 years so owes me nowt go on car sites you will see same cars week after week. work my arse off sometimes 7 days,am just over min wage but at the age were owe nobody anything,so till this maddness finshes my hard earn cash stay in my pocket lol,

same here , I have my old Focus , mot up in June , still looking at its future  , I would like a newer run around but the prices are mental , I am 50/50 spending some dosh on it to clear another mot rather then get reamed out for a replacement , its saving grace is the nice drive , not so nice is the  possible bill for the mot ...  I know it will need a new tyre and brakes on the back , possibly a windscreen , and the cambelt is 9 years old !!!!!  , I suppose if the mot work is sub 300 notes , I will get that back in scrap if the cam belt goes ??

9 minutes ago, MikeR said:

same here , I have my old Focus , mot up in June , still looking at its future  , I would like a newer run around but the prices are mental , I am 50/50 spending some dosh on it to clear another mot rather then get reamed out for a replacement , its saving grace is the nice drive , not so nice is the  possible bill for the mot ...  I know it will need a new tyre and brakes on the back , possibly a windscreen , and the cambelt is 9 years old !!!!!  , I suppose if the mot work is sub 300 notes , I will get that back in scrap if the cam belt goes ??

9 years should be alright for a cambelt on a Zetec. The official interval isn't until 10 years

23 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

9 years should be alright for a cambelt on a Zetec. The official interval isn't until 10 years

Belt rarely goes, the tensioners usually seize, result is the same though 🤣

I’d stick a belt on it, kit is about £40-60 and a few hours labour. What people don’t realise is you really don’t want a belt to go mid overtake. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Belt rarely goes, the tensioners usually seize, result is the same though 🤣

I’d stick a belt on it, kit is about £40-60 and a few hours labour. What people don’t realise is you really don’t want a belt to go mid overtake. 

I used to have a Zafira that did a similer thing  ,  the engine would radomly go into limp mode just as you got level .....  Bar steward it was

8 hours ago, MikeR said:

I used to have a Zafira that did a similer thing  ,  the engine would radomly go into limp mode just as you got level .....  Bar steward it was

There's limp mode and there's 'the-engine-isnt-even-fucking-running' mode, with valves getting mashed for bonus excitement...! 😂

I manage the fleet for a car hire firm , we still can't get cars bar the odd batch of new MG,s and Kia,s , we have cars now nudging 4 years old and 70k , up here we are getting £300 quid for a 3 day hire on a Fiat 500 .....I don't think the directors are to upset ....