Foden

STUNO

On my commute from Brigg to Leeds I used to see a green F88 on containers. I would regularly spot it on the M180/M18/M62. I knew it was coming up as it would only be doing about 40mph. It looked really scabby as it had a faded green cab. It was a day cab too, which was probably unusual in surviving F88s. It had also had a second axle added between the steering and driving wheels which made it look very 'squat'...Haven't seen it for a few years. Reg no was GAT 918N. Wonder if it ever made it into preservation :?:

Theres a very strong chance I've seen the same one near Goole, plodding along at 40 as you say!

There's a sort of half decent looking Cargo (the proper Cargo, not the damp-spaghetti-for-wiring-load-of-shit-rusty-unreliable-WANK-Iveco one) in a field next to the M6 South (somewhere near J19 I think) which appears to be slowly getting pilfered into he weeds.I think the ultimate lorry shite for me would have to be the Bedford TM(?) as they had a 2 stroke diesel Detroit engine. For sheer top trumping in the shite stakes I reckon that'd take some beating.

Slightly o/t but my favourite place to take a break when trucking in Birmingham is outside the ruins of the old BBC Pebble Mill studios. Loads of parking outside 'cos of the abandoned coach bays that were used to bus pensioners in to fapp one off over Alan Titchmarsh an one o' clock on weekdays. Also imagine the amount of tat that was parked up there to be tested by old Top Gear...

Nortons the Liverpool scrap dealer runs a long nose T cab Scania. Also Westons the cider people have a rigid ex horse box example that they use for deliveries. Bag of shite according to the driver. I can imagine visibility is a bit bollocks out of them.Unlike most classic artic units I'm not sure whether they weigh in at less than 7.5 tons so you would need an HGV ticket do drive one.

There was a great looking American 'wrecker' on the Midlands news last night - I guess a Peterbilt or Kenworth. I think it was going to try and pull a car out of the River Avon in Evesham - some nutter drove in it with his two kids :shock: . Anyone heard of Rogers or Rodgers Rescue?Anybody else watch Ice Road truckers? - this winter has given me an appreciation of the skill of some of those guys (and gal :wink: )!

While I know very little about older lorries and HGV’s, beyond what I’ve gleaned from my Ladybird “Commercial Vehicles†books, I do like seeing something still working. A few I’ve seen outside of the showfield:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Coal merchants keeping these two on the go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As recently seen in my spot’s thread, the latter picture shows that this Atkinson is still very much in use. Fryske on Flickr says it has some big old Cummins in it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fancy Scania with very long E-reg Seddon Atkinson.

Posted Image

Transcontinental extracting my rolled 309 from the hole it fell into in 1991.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cargoes doing what they’re now most commonly seen doing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ditto ERF and Foden.

Posted Image

Impressive Magirus Deutz seen down in Herefordshire. I think BS6 here said it had an air-cooled V8?

Posted Image

And finally this Nissan Diesel racing transporter, trying to squeeze in a bit of Japanese content. Scanned in from a Nissan magazine and exported in 1993, according to DVLA. I think Datsun UK used to have a Nissan Diesel lorry on their parts delivery fleet, it can be seen in the background of a brochure shot for something else. Shame they never officially imported any big stuff.

There's a Transconti in Cranleigh. Could be the same one!

Didn't the ripper drive a Transcon?
Yes indeed, he drove for T & W.H Clark; a small engineering transport firm based on Canal Road Industrial estate between Bradford and Shipley, think he was photographed at the wheel of the Transcon;(reckoned at the time to be the best truck on the road by many) for the works calendar, in the late 70's my Dad worked for Kirkstall Forge in Leeds who Clark's did a lot of work for, apparently Sutcliffe was reckoned to be the only driver not on the fiddle at the time, suppose you just never know............................................

My personal favourites are these:

Posted Image

Incredibly rare even when new in the UK, but they just look so good. Ive only ever seen a handful of bonneted Scanias here, and an american looking Volvo.

I think they're pretty much special order in the U.K. I'm led to believe that part of the reason for the unpopularity is not just visibility but also to do with the additional length of the bonnet putting it over some length limit. Could be complete bollocks mind.

Anyway, but T45 cab love from here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kinda like Leyland's Metro

Not so very long ago when they were doing some work on the A1 there was a site park at the roundabout where the A59 crosses the A1 before Harrogate. Almost all of the lorries in there were Michelotti cab Scammell 8-legger tippers. Gawd knows who the contractor was still using them. My memory fails me but it can't be more than 10 years ago. Anyone else remember?

Has there been some rule change about length and bonneted tractor units? In the past week I've seen two Volvos and a Scania in that configuration, all with trailers, just going about their business. It's probably been ten years or more since I saw one previously.Having said that, none of them were '59 plates so they must have been bought and used for something. Are there any benefits other than looks?

I was going to post photos of possibly the same two Fodens I saw, but it has taken till today to get photobucket to work again..so here goes !

Posted Image

Frontera tanker hauling milk

Posted Image

It seems that Aztec have more than one

Not so very long ago when they were doing some work on the A1 there was a site park at the roundabout where the A59 crosses the A1 before Harrogate. Almost all of the lorries in there were Michelotti cab Scammell 8-legger tippers. Gawd knows who the contractor was still using them. My memory fails me but it can't be more than 10 years ago. Anyone else remember?

I've lived about 5 miles south of this junction for the past 9 years, and don't remember any roadworks prior to the recent upgrade from A1 to A1(M).

^Ooh, Palmer + Harvey... I've been forced at gunpoint to drive some of their old nails! Mind you, the back yard at Dunfermline has a rogue's gallery of trashed motors waiting for scrapping or repair. Hilarious.The thing with the normal control (bonneted) artics is a bit complicated. As far as I know, the old British regs permitted a 40' trailer within an overall length, rendering norms a bit pointless. When the Euro regs gave us 45' trailers, the overall length was amended to suit. So now you could run a T-cab Scanny or a Volvo N with a 40' trailer, legally.This worked fine for bulk trailers (scrap/grain etc), but some people (up this way, Sandy McCracken springs to mind) ran them with 45's anyway. AFAIK it's illegal, but it's a kinda technicality, so AFAIK, no-one's been nicked for it.Laird Trucking up in Brechin had a T-cab Scanny, I'm sure. Henry Gray in Kirkcaldy has had one or two. Mostly, they're used to tip; the long chassis is more stable, less prone to 'falling over'!

The local P+H got a couple of shiny new Mercs a while back, but they're probly scrap by now. I don't mind handballing cages; a lot of my work's been supermarkets, so it's fine with me. What I did object to, was almost always getting the Glasgow run which needed to be double-manned due to some drops being totally impractical for one bod to do. Paisley's Uni and Royal Alexandra Hosp, both needing 5-6 cages taken on a long-winded route to the service lift, to get up a floor. For example.Speaking of Glasgow, that's where you'll find Seddon Atkinsons. The bulk of the council's bin wagons are SA's. Made in Spain, with Iveco cabs, granted, but SA's nonetheless.I've had some fun with SA truckshite over the years. Barrs used to use SA rigids, built for 22 tons but with 180bhp Perkins Phaser motors. Loaded up with Irn Bru, they needed 60 gears rather than 6. It took me the best part of 3 hours to get from Kirkcaldy to Brechin in one of these horrors.The uber truckshite job over here, is shifting pipes around Leith docks. The units are Leylands, ERF's, Fodens, SA's and the odd Ford Cargo. What they have in common is 10L Cummins motors, and Eaton/Fuller boxes, pulling ex-RN boat trailers.My favourite was the ex-Harry Lawson's SA Strato (Daf 95 cab version); zero oil pressure, and only a few gears in the Twin Splitter until it warmed up. A pig to drive, but at least it still had all its doors and windows!

• 8 months later...

Found it! (This thread, that is.)

Just so's I can post this crap picture of the 'famous' Volvo F88 timber hauler - spotted by me a month or two back on the M40 and described by Mr. Scruff below...

P9010001-1.jpg

The F88 mentioned is probably this one...

422416802_0d14ecd739_o.jpg

It is owned by a bloke called Bob Carmichael from Warwickshire and he goes all over the country hauling timber - I pass it on the A1M near Peterborough and on the A14 quite often. He inherited it from his late boss, it's tweaked to about 320+bhp and goes like stink!