Am I overdressed for a collection?

brownnova

5 hours ago, New POD said:

I know this is a TF, but was the F's problem with the head gasket, compounded by no low fluid level warning, and also that the fan on early ones ran the wrong way and sucked hot air out of the engine bay, over the radiator, adding heat to the fire? 

or are they urban myths? 

There was definitely something about water flowing the opposite way round and the thermostat being not “progressive” on the F, so you got this thermal shock phenomenon when the stat suddenly opens wide and chucks a radiatorload of cold H2O into the engine (as opposed to gradually opens and releases hot water more gently). I’m not entirely sure I understand it completely and it’s been ten years since we owned an MG, but the memories are still painful. 

10 hours ago, New POD said:

I know this is a TF, but was the F's problem with the head gasket, compounded by no low fluid level warning, and also that the fan on early ones ran the wrong way and sucked hot air out of the engine bay, over the radiator, adding heat to the fire? 

or are they urban myths? 

The second one definitely isn't accurate, given that the radiator and its fan are at the front of the car and the engine bay is in the middle.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The second one definitely isn't accurate, given that the radiator and its fan are at the front of the car and the engine bay is in the middle.

Was the thermostat the wrong way round. So that flow might try to force it closed?