BMC/BMH/BL Readers wives

Matty

I have just come back from a jolly good holiday in Jersey. While I was there, I had a hire car for a day. I took the sensible option of a Dacia San...

Don't be silly, I got something much more exciting to drive!
aa8511a03da523047f235fa1a78293eb.jpg

No, not the Honda! To be fair, being a Honda fan, I'd give one of them a go too.

Yes a proper Frogeye Sprite.
6d8c35ded56a22662af6e1470f3cbb4d.jpg

The rental place had a choice between a TR6, MGB Roadster, Stag and VW campers. Naturally I chose the smallest, impractical and most uncomfortable out of that. They used to do a 90s Mini, Rover P4 100 and Morris Minor Traveller. But they appear for sale - presumably the less popular options.

It had the most fucked engine I've ever driven. Cold it had a respectable 50psi but as it warmed up it dropped and it dropped and dropped some more.
This is the pressure at 40mph - it didn't get above this, no matter the revs (rev counter was broken).
d997d837a93a2187c15321cb19c7e4d5.jpg

Thankfully that is the maximum speed limit on the island as the 1098cc engine didn't have too much extra horses left after that. Presumably the rental place keeps the numbers matching 948cc for if they ever sell it on. I bet this engine gets absolutely shagged by rental drivers who have no clue, long forgotten or shouldn't be driving anymore. Made some impressive smoke clouds after overrun on steep hills.

Anyway many fun times were had in the space of the 24hrs rental. Parking was a doddle being tiny and nearly 360 degree vision.
a18feb2dd6e5793bd213101a69d1db39.jpg

We went to see some beaches.
ccdcc9cf0127aff948e9093a056390fd.jpg

And some harbours.
ece5480baf1a03acca9734de0ab18716.jpg

And some big guns.
005cd01054e3d9ed3b7672be94d7f1b7.jpg

Exploring pretty much every nook and cranny on the small island in a whistle stop tour.

After a hearty dinner, we even watched a sunset.
9e5913a52a15f33513b2f4e91f9ded03.jpg

Then it was tucked up overnight in a multistorey. I was a bit apprehensive leaving it in such a place but the rental company assured their customers do park there all the time with no trouble. Apart from CCTV, you can't really have a car to escape the island without going through an ANPR/shipping container x-ray onto a ferry. Basically Jersey gets nowhere near the trouble like I'm used to in big cities like Bristol and others.
89624730dec9305aa522ee57059efba9.jpg

In the late morning I dropped it back. All in I think we managed around 120miles in 7ish hours of driving. Probably far more than it ever usually gets!
f922a19991a4248fb0abdb7dd70e3d7c.jpg

Not only am I in love with it, Mrs SiC is also. Plus it gets the most admiration that I've ever known. Everyone young and old looks at it with a smile. If you stop, you need to be prepared to lose considerable amounts of time to people wanting to know more. Especially if you park outside a pub full of old people. 🤣

I'm also interested to see what the difference is with my later Midget. From what I've been told, they drive very differently in comparison. Not quite the same pure Donald Healey design as the Frogeye.

They are damn expensive to buy. Especially for what they are - i.e. not a lot of car, rattly, bumpy and totally impractical. But I can certainly see what the charm is with them and I'm smitten.

I've already been searching around at what "affordable" project Frogeyes are about! Possibly a combined Midget and BGT replacement...

Frogeyes are brilliant little things. My father owned one in the late 1960s and I recently tracked it down. I've also found out my old A level DT lecturer found and restored my father's old one and has owned a few since. His current project is an American dry state import which he reckons is structurally amazing. Worth a consideration. 

15 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Frogeyes are brilliant little things. My father owned one in the late 1960s and I recently tracked it down. I've also found out my old A level DT lecturer found and restored my father's old one and has owned a few since. His current project is an American dry state import which he reckons is structurally amazing. Worth a consideration. 

I'd consider anything if it's the right price 🤣

LHD to RHD conversion I imagine would just be a new rack and dashboard. I think the rack is a Moggie item too, so should be reasonably easy to source. Dash may be harder but possibly something that could be fabricated by a professional quite easily.

Edit: or even fibreglass. They're vinyl lined so probably wouldn't be too noticeable.

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/sprite/inner-body-panels/dashboard-rhd-fiberglass.aspx

Frogeyes are wonderful. Absolutely shit compared to a modern car, but wonderful. I am now a bit too big for them and with my dodgy right knee would need a left hand drive one to stand a chance of getting in. I miss my old one. (Rev counter should be driven by a cable and little gearbox on the back of the dynamo on that)

40ac3523-01d0-45f6-826f-899d61d70896.jpg.7b953fb108b5d768db1b4b4a483f261b.jpg

This was it  I googled the registration and found yhe pic of it outside the garage where I lived. It looks like it was up for sale last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Matty said:

Perfect for banger racing (in the 1980s) 

6 hours ago, Joey spud said:

FB_IMG_1662152342579.thumb.jpg.f2b3a4ad705f55938422988a37ae3052.jpg

FB_IMG_1662251957623.thumb.jpg.cb476cbe7ad9300c2d35446998d33402.jpg

I saw this on a diy leccy vehicle Facebook group.

It's powered by a forklift truck motor,four deep cycle (120Ah) batteries and a simple motor controller/ potentiometer.

Clever looking thing. Wonder how fast it is? TBF anything s quicker than a 1098 so it's all relative I suppose

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matty said:

That's a massive project. At that price, it's one of those that is quicker and cheaper to buy a better example. 

It's either stripped for parts (which many don't look that good) or someone restoring it because they want to have something to fiddle with. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

That's a massive project. At that price, it's one of those that is quicker and cheaper to buy a better example. 

It's either stripped for parts (which many don't look that good) or someone restoring it because they want to have something to fiddle with. 

Absolutely. Kudos if it gets done but there's not enough wiggle room at the money. Like you said, just buy a better one