Jump to content

BMC/BMH/BL Readers wives


Matty
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had a blond moment. Messing about with the fuel system ignition on a touching the posi lead on the battery to run the fuel pump. Happy with my alteration I jumped in to go for a drive. Why won't it start? Why is it cranking and not firing? What's broke now? Oh, just pop the coil lead back on then...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a blond moment. Messing about with the fuel system ignition on a touching the posi lead on the battery to run the fuel pump. Happy with my alteration I jumped in to go for a drive. Why won't it start? Why is it cranking and not firing? What's broke now? Oh, just pop the coil lead back on then...
If it makes you feel any better, I forgot to put one of the plug leads back on the BGT and drove off. Felt like it was missing but it wasn't terrible. Checking under the bonnet, I saw my mistake.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, SiC said:
1 hour ago, Matty said:
I had a blond moment. Messing about with the fuel system ignition on a touching the posi lead on the battery to run the fuel pump. Happy with my alteration I jumped in to go for a drive. Why won't it start? Why is it cranking and not firing? What's broke now? Oh, just pop the coil lead back on then...

If it makes you feel any better, I forgot to put one of the plug leads back on the BGT and drove off. Felt like it was missing but it wasn't terrible. Checking under the bonnet, I saw my mistake.

Yeah, might have done that too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was heading out to @320touring's unit, made it as far as the petrol station and then one street along and it conked out. A couple of fellas came by and had an admire and helped me push it off the double yellows.

The £12 unbranded fuel pump I bought on eBay had inexplicably* ended it's life after about 45 miles worth of work. Replumbed the old mechanical pump which worked fine, but not before drinking a lot of fuel because I thought the line has blocked so gave it a good suck (oooh errr missus etc)

A Chinese woman who was passing wanted to know everything about the car. Specifically the engine and how it all worked. By the time she went away I'd taught her pretty much everything I knew about the basic operation of an internal combustion engine running a carburettor. 😂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I was heading out to @320touring's unit, made it as far as the petrol station and then one street along and it conked out. A couple of fellas came by and had an admire and helped me push it off the double yellows.

The £12 unbranded fuel pump I bought on eBay had inexplicably* ended it's life after about 45 miles worth of work. Replumbed the old mechanical pump which worked fine, but not before drinking a lot of fuel because I thought the line has blocked so gave it a good suck (oooh errr missus etc)

A Chinese woman who was passing wanted to know everything about the car. Specifically the engine and how it all worked. By the time she went away I'd taught her pretty much everything I knew about the basic operation of an internal combustion engine running a carburettor. 😂

 

Quite impressed with the basic road Facit pump I've fitted to mine so far. Just put one on an Essex v6 on a car my dad's doing up as well (albeit a fast road version with a higher flow rate). Not cheap at £60 odd mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found the Hardi pumps just fine. I did have one suspected faulty but that turned out to be earth issues and then later the bullet connection for power. 

They are the same form factor as SU pumps so fit existing mounts. Also give the reassuring tick as they work.

Tbf a SU pump with point is alright but they are invariably knackered and need a rebuild. Rebuild kits aren't far off something like a Hardi or Facet pump. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I've found the Hardi pumps just fine. I did have one suspected faulty but that turned out to be earth issues and then later the bullet connection for power. 

They are the same form factor as SU pumps so fit existing mounts. Also give the reassuring tick as they work.

Tbf a SU pump with point is alright but they are invariably knackered and need a rebuild. Rebuild kits aren't far off something like a Hardi or Facet pump. 

Tbh Si I couldn't be bothered. It wanted a rebuild but ten minutes down the road and half an hour fabricating a mount and I had a modern solid state pump. Basically laziness won. It should also just do its job for many years without my input (touches wood) 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iirc generally Austin vehicles had mechanical pumps while Morris vehicles had an electric fuel pump. I believe that was because Morris bought up SU in the early days and so preferred them for all their fuel system parts. This behaviour carried on after their mergers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Iirc generally Austin vehicles had mechanical pumps while Morris vehicles had an electric fuel pump. I

Nope. Look at the larger Austins. Like my Westminster or an Austin Healy. All ADO16s had an electric fuel pump. The ADO 17s had a mechanical pump whilst the likes of the MG B and C had an electrical pump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Iirc generally Austin vehicles had mechanical pumps while Morris vehicles had an electric fuel pump. I believe that was because Morris bought up SU in the early days and so preferred them for all their fuel system parts. This behaviour carried on after their mergers.

Best as I know mine was electric from the off. There's a section on stripping down and repairing the pump in the workshop manual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Nope. Look at the larger Austins. Like my Westminster or an Austin Healy. All ADO16s had an electric fuel pump. The ADO 17s had a mechanical pump whilst the likes of the MG B and C had an electrical pump.

I must have imagined it all. I did say iirc!

Not all ado16 came with electric fuel pumps though. 

But then ado17 first came from Austin and then branded Morris. MG is more aligned to Morris. Healey did his own thing. 

C-series engines used in the big Austins came from the Morris design offices iirc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...