Jump to content

BMC/BMH/BL Readers wives


Matty
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, 2flags said:

When I see how much minis are going for now I could cry. Sold a clubman estate for £50 25 years ago. [mind you I only paid £50 for it.] £150 to get it through an MoT then ran it for a year. What would it be worth now?

Depending as ever on condition you're looking around 3k to 15k. £8k to 10k gets a shiny one. Probably would have cost a lot more in running costs and storage to have kept it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was still there today and work appears to be going on. 

IMG_20220405_091009.thumb.jpg.fd67472437d7309b173dc9d2d54510fd.jpg

Either that or it's being dismantled one wheelie bin at a time. It's a weird spot it's parked in. It's a closed down undertakers with two parking spaces out the front but the cars parked there keep changing but always seem a little down at heel. The corner of the other car you can see is Big Punto, 2006, that arrived with a broken headlight but has had it replaced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, 2flags said:

When I see how much minis are going for now I could cry. Sold a clubman estate for £50 25 years ago. [mind you I only paid £50 for it.] £150 to get it through an MoT then ran it for a year. What would it be worth now?

Round nose mini projects are currently running about £1500 to £2000 at the moment. A clubman estate might fetch more.

As a double mini owner I actually get upset seeing the prices going into the silly territory. As fun as they are I just don't think that those prices are justifiable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sill and outer arch now welded and ground back. 

PXL_20220411_230414028.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.2f244b5c730eea03f174a31e60bb220a.jpg

Not overly happy with how this weld line turned out. I was playing around with the welder on manual and I think I might have had it up a bit too high. It's solid but dipped in a fair bit. After filler is won't be visible but I'd have preferred it to be at least a tad more level! 

PXL_20220411_225945919.thumb.jpg.4bb0c11f58d96e3a6997017d32be56eb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is anyone going to The Pride of Longbridge on the 23rd at Cofton Park? I have ordered a set of new tyres and booked the Tomcat in for an MOT next Tuesday, I will need to get on with the welding over the bank holiday and hope for a pass. If all goes to plan Cofton Park will be it’s first run out🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Not overly happy with how this weld line turned out. I was playing around with the welder on manual and I think I might have had it up a bit too high. It's solid but dipped in a fair bit. After filler is won't be visible but I'd have preferred it to be at least a tad more level! 

PXL_20220411_225945919.thumb.jpg.4bb0c11f58d96e3a6997017d32be56eb.jpg

Mine was the same. No way to stop them from buckling in, even tacking the metal is too thin to handle the heat.

539642172_DSC_6942(Copy).thumb.jpg.3eac2120562454cb37687cfb71b4be87.jpg

Stud puller took it back out to fillerable levels, so that it doesn't all crack and fall out when you close the door too hard.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was super careful and tacked all along while using the air line to cool it down to touchable temperature. One bit has bowed in a tad but the rest is ok. 

I need to measure but I think its about 3mm to 5mm out, so not too ridiculous for filler. There is already a skim of filler further up that existed to cover the previous panel repaired welded on over the top. I don't want to take it all off as I don't really want the cost of a full respray. 

Might get one of those stud puller things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd whizz all that filler out, you should need far less than the original double arch job. Guessing it's up to the swage line. Are you going rattle cans or taking it to be splashed somewhere else? The amount of work going into the rear arches I'd imagine you'd be two full sides being resprayed anyway. @GingerNuttz would know, being the professional painter and all...

 

The stud welder/puller has seen a fair amount of action on the Dolly, removing dents and pulling out panels that warped due to the heat from welding. One of those things that pays for itself pretty quickly when you can't get a hammer in somewhere to bash out a dent.

door.thumb.JPG.bd79bab8e36d05b0f3d28326445b0cdf.JPG

277823531_519344636210306_2564949558280751595_n.thumb.jpg.d7b8b416927ed7252c2df7ff9691720b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

Is anyone going to The Pride of Longbridge on the 23rd at Cofton Park? I have ordered a set of new tyres and booked the Tomcat in for an MOT next Tuesday, I will need to get on with the welding over the bank holiday and hope for a pass. If all goes to plan Cofton Park will be it’s first run out🤞

Too far for me yet. I'm classing Burnley and back as a result at the minute. Going to Clitheroe for a car show on Sunday. Feels like going to the moon. Still building confidence 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Matty said:

Ha yeah I did see that. Lovely as it is, if I was spending that, I wouldn't be buying a Mini. For that money I'd get a XJC or possibly even something like an Evora.

 

....but you all know I'd still not do that. I'd be spending it on multiple cheap old wrecks instead. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Matty said:

After weeks of good running it managed to breakdown without leaving the garage today 😠

See:

32 minutes ago, SiC said:

Ideal if someone wants to join us old British car mentalists.

🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of A40, this is quite tempting. Just anything else I get needs to be road running as I need the Midget sorted before getting (yet) another project to get back on the road.

Screenshot_20220424-160228.thumb.png.9a05f4857f5ab49c069360b566bb5759.png

 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/classiccarsforsaleuk/permalink/5089193561187892/

I've warmed to the A40 a lot as it's different and rarer to what you usually see at meets and shows. (Sush @KitKat I know you said exactly this when I got my Moggie 🤣)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Speaking of A40, this is quite tempting. Just anything else I get needs to be road running as I need the Midget sorted before getting (yet) another project to get back on the road.

Screenshot_20220424-160228.thumb.png.9a05f4857f5ab49c069360b566bb5759.png

 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/classiccarsforsaleuk/permalink/5089193561187892/

I've warmed to the A40 a lot as it's different and rarer to what you usually see at meets and shows. (Sush @KitKat I know you said exactly this when I got my Moggie 🤣)

 

A mate sent it me the other day. Apart from minor hiccups like today, I'd have to say I'm more than happy. It goes well with the mods it's had but it's like a mechano car. You can make it as quick and handle as well as you want depending on the size of your wallet. Obvs you can do that with minors and the like as well as @Scrubworks and @Joey spudwill testify

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Matty said:

Apart from minor hiccups like today, I'd have to say I'm more than happy.

Think of it another way, it always has got you home. It may not have wanted to leave home today but better than breakdown when your miles from home!

22 minutes ago, Matty said:

You can make it as quick and handle as well as you want depending on the size of your wallet.

Pretty much the same as the Midget really. Both in types of mods and actual identical parts iirc!

Looking forward to getting that out and onto the road now. Just finishing sorting my garage and I'm hoping I can (just about) have one project car in progress stored there and have anything down from storage so it's away at night. 

I didn't manage to get a classic out for drive it day today. Seen loads of classics about and depressed me that I wasn't in any of mine. But just not had a chance to sort any of them during the big garage tidy-up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Think of it another way, it always has got you home. It may not have wanted to leave home today but better than breakdown when your miles from home!

Pretty much the same as the Midget really. Both in types of mods and actual identical parts iirc!

Looking forward to getting that out and onto the road now. Just finishing sorting my garage and I'm hoping I can (just about) have one project car in progress stored there and have anything down from storage so it's away at night. 

I didn't manage to get a classic out for drive it day today. Seen loads of classics about and depressed me that I wasn't in any of mine. But just not had a chance to sort any of them during the big garage tidy-up.

I'd forgotten it was drive it day. Oh the irony 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep seeing this pop up on my eBay. Doesn't seem a bad price and I'd have thought it would have sold by now. I do wonder if the market is softening off. 

Very tempting but as N24, I really need to get more projects sorted before buying something that could easily become another one.

spacer.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384856826957

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Keep seeing this pop up on my eBay. Doesn't seem a bad price and I'd have thought it would have sold by now. I do wonder if the market is softening off. 

Very tempting but as N24, I really need to get more projects sorted before buying something that could easily become another one.

spacer.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384856826957

Just get it bought. Its not like you've an aversion to owning multiple motors 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been doing some servicing and general maintenance on the BGT. While looking for some bits, I came across the old pressure relief valve. Had a look at it and decided the shuttle part felt quite heavy for what it is. Could it have had a shim in?

Gave it a blast of air up the back of it.

PXL_20220428_204122090.thumb.jpg.51aae2ec5776984bbdd900693f02a5fc.jpg

PXL_20220428_204152308.thumb.jpg.62fd03f537e299a9526b03d5852d7c44.jpg

 

Hmm! I've suspected for a while that the PRV might not be right.

I can't remember if I put a shim in when I replaced it. If I did, it would have been a washer and probably not that thick. 

May do battle with the PRV on the car tonight (not fun) and see what's in there. I think I have a spare crush washer kicking around too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a significant improvement. Previously it was around 48psi and dropping off to 45psi when warm. 20psi-ish at idle when warm. Hopefully it'll hold up to be similar levels when warm.

If it does, I'll be happy.

PXL_20220429_202628673.thumb.jpg.9bcd1fe9888363effc9fd97057c21061.jpg

(Maybe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Matty said:

I did see that earlier. I probably should delete some of my saved searches...

It didn't strike me as the best restoration. Stuff like attention to detail. The heater box is the wrong colour. Brake master looks past it and makes me think it's run doing the bare minimum work. Vac pipe blanked off the carbs is a bit doo hicky (I have the same and it's bunged with a wheel stud 😆). Alternator converted from dynamo without changing the bracket - just a long bolt and copper pipe. Also some of those panels look awfully like they may have big chunks of filler in. But always hard to judge from photos than in person.

Not that mine is any better! 🤣 

But I did pay half their auction starting price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SiC said:

I did see that earlier. I probably should delete some of my saved searches...

It didn't strike me as the best restoration. Stuff like attention to detail. The heater box is the wrong colour. Brake master looks past it and makes me think it's run doing the bare minimum work. Vac pipe blanked off the carbs is a bit doo hicky (I have the same and it's bunged with a wheel stud 😆). Alternator converted from dynamo without changing the bracket - just a long bolt and copper pipe. Also some of those panels look awfully like they may have big chunks of filler in. But always hard to judge from photos than in person.

Not that mine is any better! 🤣 

But I did pay half their auction starting price. 

I didn't pay that much attention. I just thought ohhh shiny 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...