BMC/BMH/BL Readers wives #End of year round up#

Matty

55 minutes ago, martc said:

Scandanavian Morris Minor commercials - DOMI (Dansk Oversoisk Motor Industrie) made a Minor van, unique to them, that was used by both the Danish and Swedish post offices.

image.png.ee39712b527f5ef7977f3ce4b9e125d6.png

Thanks, a lot of new information here so have learned a lot. But is it the picture that does it or is the wheelbase on this stretch? As it seems long.

18 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Thanks, a lot of new information here so have learned a lot. But is it the picture that does it or is the wheelbase on this stretch? As it seems long.

I think they extended the chassis, the distance between the end of the door and the rear wheel is much longer than standard. Someone may correct me but I think the chassis of all Minors was the same regardless of the body style.

The obvious comparison to the DOMI is the Traveller but that has the same distance between door and rear wheel as all the other models (except the DOMI).

image.png.9da6ad264706864e146fac5f0c24b04d.png

According  to Aronline the DOMI was built on the standard chassis cab. 

The reason the Traveller has a smaller gap is that it used the doors from a 2-door saloon. The vans and pick-ups used the doors from a 4-door.

On the shot below you can see the original pressing for the trafficator on the B-pillar. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few random pics from my archives. 

These were at the first Landcrab Owners Club national rally I attended. I think it was 1991 or 92, can't remember now. At that point Landcrabs were transitioning from just an old car to sort of classics. Some would only have been 17 years old which seems mad now. 

This was at the American Adventure theme park because nothing says wild West like a Landcrab. 

IMG_20221021_122201.thumb.jpg.ec73f70379d63b8a734177cd88f7a1c6.jpg

IMG_20221021_122040.thumb.jpg.b66c633511990075f4bf5355131e8b25.jpg

IMG_20221021_122107.thumb.jpg.7fbeb7cc9ae2cb68e8ae0848415a43e9.jpg

IMG_20221021_122137.thumb.jpg.3d1641e3f78fc6177237fd01d7794e3b.jpg

I wonder how many of these still exist (somebody else can trawl through the numberplates if they want)? Even the ones that look mint here have had another thirty years to deteriorate. 

Interesting. 

IMG_20221021_122300.thumb.jpg.c4ad3413f2c21b78a54ab16f21a8730f.jpg

And a couple more randoms to finish. I have a lot of these. 

My friends Triumph 2000 with an Austin 1300 GT behind. Also Fawley power station, that's gone now too. 

IMG_20221021_122356.thumb.jpg.a380650abd0d50857ad1202c9f8dd41a.jpg

Well giffered up 16/60. No idea where this is but that looks like one of my 1800s behind so we must have just stopped to have a look. 

IMG_20221021_122558.thumb.jpg.95bd1921105a44396ce53f8231a16c71.jpg

Also bonus Maestro and Metro which would have been completely ignored at the time. 

7 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Looks like someone had tried to make a replica of the 1966 prototype ADO61 Vanden Plas

spacer.png

Partially. That prototype had a completely different rear screen. 

970060313_images(4).jpeg.b2bddea2307a48374efa00a200f53d91.jpeg

Also the front indicators look like some cheap aftermarket trailer stick on types which really spoil the look.

IMG_20221021_145035.jpg.cc0d35bc9d43904a3fb410767461667b.jpg

You would think if they had the skill to blend a VDP grill, probably using the bonnet from the donor (can't really tell if it's from 1300, 4 Litre or Allegro) that they could at least fit some Landcrab front sidelights. 

3 minutes ago, Matty said:

That's just right is that.  If there's one thing that's going to stop me getting a Minor, it's going to be an A40 like that, I even like the colour.  Luckily, all my money is disappearing on non-car things lately so the Maestro is safe for a bit longer.

Just now, vulgalour said:

That's just right is that.  If there's one thing that's going to stop me getting a Minor, it's going to be an A40 like that, I even like the colour.  Luckily, all my money is disappearing on non-car things lately so the Maestro is safe for a bit longer.

I've watch listed it. Be interesting to see what it makes (assuming it actually changes hands for the final bid amount)

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I reckon it'll end at around £2.5k +/- £500

The lack of any panel gaps can't help make think it may have quite a heavy skim of filler on it though. 

Nah your wrong there Si. Top quality build standards on these. If you look really closely there will be panel gaps, just so exacting as to be almost invisible to the human eye.

2 hours ago, Matty said:

Nah your wrong there Si. Top quality build standards on these. If you look really closely there will be panel gaps, just so exacting as to be almost invisible to the human eye.

It just looks too "smooth" if you know what I mean? Like the sill under the door should have a line where the wings meets up with the sill. Likewise there is no jacking point hole on the sill either. Front bottom valance has some panel join gap but not all the way up. Under the rear lights looks very rounded off.

Also looks like the paint has a very bad case of home painted orange peel. 

I might be wrong as it's hard to tell from a few badly taken photos, but that one doesn't quite look right in my eyes. 

Tongue firmly in cheek bud. Tbf, mine has had new inner and outer sills and I don't have the jacking holes. The first repair panels the club had made didn't have the holes for whatever reasons (cost I'd imagine). You want to see mine though, looks good at first but then you catch it in the right light and how some of the panels have been blended in with a skim is comical. Still though, it's all metal, not rotten and 55 year old so I reckon I'll forgive it 😆.

As an aside, why've  you not bought a frog eye yet? Not like you...

Just now, Mr Pastry said:

There are at least 3 different diameters for the Midget - 9/16", 5/8", and 11/16" (and 0 - I didn't have one on my Mk 1 and it was fine).

Can't find the A40 book, so I am not sure what it has.

Not 100 percent sure about the mountings, but logically they should be in the same place.

Be very cautious fitting thicker anti-roll bars.  The resistance increases as the 4th power of the diameter, so a small alteration may affect the handling more than you expect.

I know the one I have fitted is 9/16", which I assume is standard on a mk2. So what your saying is any increase would make a big (possibly not in a good way) difference, so you wouldn't want to jump straight from the smallest to the biggest?

Just now, Mr Pastry said:

Yes exactly, just go to the next size up and try it round a few corners.  Unless of course you just happen to have the biggest one lying around, but be careful.  Racing A35s I think go up to 3/4", but you wouldn't need that on a road car.

The other thing, stating the obvious maybe, is only to modify one thing on your suspension at a time, as multiple mods may cancel each other out and you won't know exactly what you have done.

Brilliant that, exactly what I needed to know. Ta very much 👍

@Mr Pastry. This from Moss website. Just like you said.

s important not to fit too stiff a bar, as this will ruin the ride comfort, transmitting road shocks through to the driver and passenger. The later cars were fitted with a 9/16 diameter bar as standard, we have found the ideal anti roll bar for a standard road car is 5/8 diameter, a modified car will handle better with the 11/16 diameter bar. Competition cars benefit most from the 3/4 or 7/8 bars depending upon their specification, but, these bars can prove to be too stiff for road use and will push the handling towards understeer again. Our experience has shown that the original bar end stops are not required for the competition bars, though they should be used on road bars.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:53 AM, SiC said:

I reckon it'll end at around £2.5k +/- £500

The lack of any panel gaps can't help make think it may have quite a heavy skim of filler on it though. 

I was pretty much bang on.  

Screenshot_20221027-123452.thumb.png.64145a6956780da32aa1bcf6c4035b43.png

On 10/23/2022 at 5:16 PM, Matty said:

Tongue firmly in cheek bud.

Totally got that. Sorry was just in a processing (?) state of mind more explaining my thoughts to see if others agreed or saw things differently.

12 minutes ago, SiC said:

I was pretty much bang on.  

Screenshot_20221027-123452.thumb.png.64145a6956780da32aa1bcf6c4035b43.png

Totally got that. Sorry was just in a processing (?) state of mind more explaining my thoughts to see if others agreed or saw things differently.

If its solid and not an isopon egg that's good money for a good starting point is that. And it's not bog door blue like mine

22 hours ago, Matty said:

I would love one but I've put that idea on hold for now. I was thinking of maybe picking something bargainous at Xmas. But this month has been rough for us and I've not even had a chance to open my latest delivery of Spridget panels, let alone do any work in the garage. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144911930990?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CLhBmjoIQam&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=svwv9r4orxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Really want this. Everytime one of these is listed I Really want it. Not going to happen cos I've nowhere to keep one. Non the less, what a good looking old barge they are.

Usual story for a late registration like that is that it was used abroad or on military plates for a bit then re-registered with the current plate as that was how things were done.  My old Wolseley 16/60 was a CKD car assembled in Zimbabwe in 69 but registered here about 75 on a N or P.  When the previous owner wrote to the DVLA to enquire about Historic tax they sent him a new V5 with a G reg plate and told him to change the plates sharpish.

He wasn't too pleased as all the (factory tinted)  windows were etched with the old registration number.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:53 PM, Matty said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144911930990?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CLhBmjoIQam&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=svwv9r4orxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Really want this. Everytime one of these is listed I Really want it. Not going to happen cos I've nowhere to keep one. Non the less, what a good looking old barge they are.

Same year as mine. Mine is a bit* more rusty though. Expect around 8 to 10 MPG.

Id this what is meant as rust free?

image.png.9cb95a9b7c3e145daa1b255d527d428c.png

For that sort of money I would expect the rear of the passenger seat to be fixed in position, the rear bumper not have two dents, the trim near the Austin badge to be straight, passengers arm rest to be repaired etc