Jump to content

BMC/BMH/BL Readers wives


Matty
 Share

Recommended Posts

Any interest in a communal thread for forum members with cars from the great conglomerate(s)? A bit like the communal mondeo and bini threads. I appreciate that most of us have our own threads but I love the pics so call it a minor news thread. Have you washed it, mended it, gone shopping in it, thrashed it to within an inch of its life with a branch?

I'll kick it off. Don't let me die on my arse here lads.

Small car only just fits in space

20220326_140718.thumb.jpg.18757f527c4be27e03be796cb9ecf17e.jpg20220326_140725.thumb.jpg.d0d678acddfebaf13f6362cbc7cfcba4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant @Shite Ron more please 👍

Edit, actually the tomcat fits perfect. The Rover Group cars were after all the end of the line of what started as BMC (Cortinas fit but doesn't count as it was made by a firm who knew how to make good stuff that people wanted to buy so has no place in this thread 🤣)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, captain_70s said:

My genuine BL car is still in bits. Starting prep for paint next week, should be on the road by mid April after 2 years of it being buggered.

Acclaim more than counts as well. Looking forward to seeing the Dolomite get sorted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great idea for a thread I much prefer reading about a bland underdog than anything pure pedigree.

As the weather was decent yesterday I pulled the cover off Boris the Morris and refreshed my mind with where I had got to when I packed up last year.

I was a bit miffed to find that my unfinished welding has started to corrode already.

IMG20220327153811.thumb.jpg.cb0d60b395eeb2b3b6072afcb36f9da3.jpg

IMG20220327153217.thumb.jpg.857f56289d0785f46c740f89fa292db7.jpg

IMG20220327153242.thumb.jpg.59bb6c309cf3552268c2e1e6a4c09e63.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matty said:

Brilliant @Shite Ron more please 👍

The Tomcat is my girlfriends, we bought it last year but due to work and bad weather only yesterday finally got around to giving it a good look over. It is a very original looking car with what looks to be a genuine 90k miles. We pulled all the wheels off and found it has new discs, pads and drop links on the front, on the rear it has new shoes and wheel cylinders. The only issue we found was the L/H rear hand brake was not holding, after some WD 40 and working the adjuster it now seems good. We found two small holes at the front of each sill after attacking with the wire wheel on the angle grinder and two tyres had cracking and none match. I will weld the sills some time in the next couple of weeks and order 4 new tyres then hopefully it will return to the road in May.

The second picture was to show the Jaaaag not the Cortina’s either side 😀

The Rover SD1 will hopefully be my next project after the Tomcat as it seems quite solid.

A picture from yesterday on the 216:

image.thumb.jpeg.2d67cc8d90400ea506b845da2d74ff96.jpeg

A picture from a few weeks ago:

image.thumb.jpeg.838978bd509612c932db45fb48068049.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JeeExEll said:

Love the wheels on the blue one. Cooper S, possibly banded a bit?

Wheels are standard BL Special Tuning 'Reverse' rims.  They are only 4" wide but the offset is very different.  They were made for drum brake cars to increase the track to that of the S disc brake cars, which are 1" wider at the front!

Genuine S wheels are a different offset again, but the other way so the tyre stays under the wings.  No plastic arches as standard until 1984 (or the 1979 Mini Special!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had dozens of Leyland stuff over the years but this is the only one left. 

IMG_20220327_194347.thumb.jpg.ddf1c35ba470dcc56577a50b7f42822d.jpg

I've had it 27 years now. It's not been out in a while as you can see from the picture I've just taken. I really do need to tidy up the garage. It has to move soon as the clutch has started to slip on the Felicia and that's an in the garage job. Then the Triumph will go into daily service for a few days. It still works as far I know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joey spud said:

This is a great idea for a thread I much prefer reading about a bland underdog than anything pure pedigree.

As the weather was decent yesterday I pulled the cover off Boris the Morris and refreshed my mind with where I had got to when I packed up last year.

I was a bit miffed to find that my unfinished welding has started to corrode already.

IMG20220327153811.thumb.jpg.cb0d60b395eeb2b3b6072afcb36f9da3.jpg

IMG20220327153217.thumb.jpg.857f56289d0785f46c740f89fa292db7.jpg

IMG20220327153242.thumb.jpg.59bb6c309cf3552268c2e1e6a4c09e63.jpg

I was wondering when you were going to get involved 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

I have BL Minis.  I'm surprised they have managed to exist this long, too!

20180920_131232.thumb.jpg.bd3749830080e7fdbf67b8a7b80ca16e.jpg

532345221_25_09.2011AylesfordPriory.thumb.jpg.be2ba419cfb072f65dc029aaa263afca.jpg

Err, and a 1972 Range Rover that is too awful to photograph.

Bloody hell, that's a fair pair. Retirement fund sorted right there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I've had dozens of Leyland stuff over the years but this is the only one left. 

IMG_20220327_194347.thumb.jpg.ddf1c35ba470dcc56577a50b7f42822d.jpg

I've had it 27 years now. It's not been out in a while as you can see from the picture I've just taken. I really do need to tidy up the garage. It has to move soon as the clutch has started to slip on the Felicia and that's an in the garage job. Then the Triumph will go into daily service for a few days. It still works as far I know. 

Toledo or 1300/1500? Lovely looking things. When my mum was younger (I'm 41 and my mum was a young mum) her families first car was a 1300 with no floor pans left. In the rain they used to tuck their knees up. Apart from my grandad Jack who still had to drive it 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Matty said:

Toledo or 1300/1500? Lovely looking things. When my mum was younger (I'm 41 and my mum was a young mum) her families first car was a 1300 with no floor pans left. In the rain they used to tuck their knees up. Apart from my grandad Jack who still had to drive it 😁

It's a 1300TC so has the Spitfire spec engine. Has a few other tweeks too to make it more to my liking.

I had a Dolomite 1500SE with a very leaky windscreen when I first met the now Mrs Yoss. My cure for this was to remove the front carpets and the rubber bung they have in the front footwells so the water that came in had a way of leaving again. But only on the passenger side as that's the side the screen was leaking. 

I particularly remember a trip to North Wales when we'd had lots of rain in the days before hand. There were lots massive puddles and minor flooding. The first big puddle we hit the water shot up through hole like a fountain. For every subsequent one I was shouting 'foot!' and Lorraine would wack her foot over the hole. The water still came in but not like a fountain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Yoss said:

It's a 1300TC so has the Spitfire spec engine. Has a few other tweeks too to make it more to my liking.

I had a Dolomite 1500SE with a very leaky windscreen when I first met the now Mrs Yoss. My cure for this was to remove the front carpets and the rubber bung they have in the front footwells so the water that came in had a way of leaving again. But only on the passenger side as that's the side the screen was leaking. 

I particularly remember a trip to North Wales when we'd had lots of rain in the days before hand. There were lots massive puddles and minor flooding. The first big puddle we hit the water shot up through hole like a fountain. For every subsequent one I was shouting 'foot!' and Lorraine would wack her foot over the hole. The water still came in but not like a fountain. 

And we wonder where our car manufacturing industry went 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

I have BL Minis.  I'm surprised they have managed to exist this long, too!

20180920_131232.thumb.jpg.bd3749830080e7fdbf67b8a7b80ca16e.jpg

532345221_25_09.2011AylesfordPriory.thumb.jpg.be2ba419cfb072f65dc029aaa263afca.jpg

Err, and a 1972 Range Rover that is too awful to photograph.

I still would love a classic Mini. Bought the 1100 as a cheaper substitute, then the Moggie but neither are Minis. Everyone I've looked at will, no matter what it was on for sale for, need welding at some point soon. From pre-rotten, to badly repaired, to old restorations having rust break through, to shiny over-sills and to freshly restored but questionable amounts of filler! So I know I'll need to clear my deck of project cars before I get one as I'll end up starting poking and it'll end up all bad pretty quickly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

I still would love a classic Mini. Bought the 1100 as a cheaper substitute, then the Moggie but neither are Minis. Everyone I've looked at will, no matter what it was on for sale for, need welding at some point soon. From pre-rotten, to badly repaired, to old restorations having rust break through, to shiny over-sills and to freshly restored but questionable amounts of filler! So I know I'll need to clear my deck of project cars before I get one as I'll end up starting poking and it'll end up all bad pretty quickly!

Summary (from.a man that's owned 4 previously) 

Minis are overrated 1950s tat.

Summary from my Dad, who bought a brand new 1959 mini, and had 3 gearboxes under warranty. 

Issigonid was a maverick and the mini was crap..

When they work, and pass the mot, they can be fun, but quite frankly they were mechanically. And bodily, a bit shit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Matty said:

And we wonder where our car manufacturing industry went 😁

Well Canley in probably a retail park.

Longbridge, a housing estate, 

But Cowley is home to mini Oxford. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...