Scrap prices

Dobloseven

Took a couple of Zafirafuls of washing machines and ovens to scrap, sorry recycling yard today. Now paying £170 per tonne for light iron. Was well surprised as it's been £110 for a long time. The yard I use is known for not paying as much as some, it's a big very professional set up. But it's handy for me so that's where I go. Set me thinking, if you've got an old Mondsignissatensis type shitbox, it's going to be worth £250,even if it's had a piano dropped on it just before it caught fire. 

35 minutes ago, omegod said:

I've been off for two weeks and listened out for the scrap men as I had a pile of metal shite, not one single one doing the rounds so I took the bastard lot to the tip yesterday 

I haven't seen many around either. Nor was it particularly busy at the scrap yard this morning. Was quite pleased with myself. Got 68 quid for five washing machines and two small ovens. 

I've been off for two weeks and listened out for the scrap men as I had a pile of metal shite, not one single one doing the rounds so I took the bastard lot to the tip yesterday 
They're all round where i live. As long as it's not pissing down, there's at least one of them circling our housing estate, yelling something incomprehensible either through a megaphone or a dodgy PA, or having the mother of his children shout it, to give the lazy feck a rest while he concentrates on driving his Transit tipper at 5miles an hour. I've identified four different, ahem, 'metal recycling operatives', all local and all vying for the same discarded appliances and garden furniture. But none of them are getting my old batteries and steel, the pikey shites. I have an working car and I'm not yet so infirm that i can't deal with my own scrap, thankyouverymuch. Anyway, i need to hoard every bit of steel i can to patch up my old shitters.

'Performing a public service', my arse.

(Goes off to find blood pressure testing machine)

13 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I wonder if copper and aluminium prices will rise- I have a few transformers and ali castings to get shot of.

idk about ally but dry bright wire is well over six grand a tonne atm. It's motivated me to start stripping some lead-sheathed armoured I have, total bastard of a job but at those prices it's worth the effort. Even shite domestic cable is up around two grand a tonne.

39 minutes ago, auntiemaryscanary said:

Does anyone have an idea on current lead and brass prices? The I've got a little of both with the brass a right old mixture of pipe fittings/taps, screws and old light fittings stripped down.

As dry bright wire is that much I've got 3 or so reels of domestic cable I might as well strip too.

£3.50kg last time I checked on brass.